• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back in the day...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Even I might have to put in an appearance, if the powers that be combine to allow it!

It’s always a good day out. You sometimes get the odd moment when if you close your eyes you can just imagine…

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It’s always a good day out. You sometimes get the odd moment when if you close your eyes you can just imagine…

Little difficult that for me, given I was born in the era of the Sprinter and HST!

Agreed the SVR is a good day out, it's my local heritage line so I've done it many times. It has been a good few years since my last visit though, which is one reason why I want to go again.

We will see what happens of course, it's just as likely by May that I'll be elsewhere and no longer even close to the SVR. Or I might be right next to it, impossible to know!

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I might even venture out to a gala at some point. Where's the best for goyles?

I require 2 of the SVR hoovers for haulage, so if I got both of those (031 and 044), I'd halve my hoover requirements. I've never had a diesel hydraulic for haulage either. I'm not sure what I think about doing 40106.

Last edited:

Harvester

Established Member
Sunday 18th January 1981

Sunday diversion to Manchester via Woodhead...

45147 11:45 Derby-Manchester Piccadilly (via Sheffield-Pennistone-
Woodhead-Guide Bridge)
47489 14:55 Piccadilly-Crewe
DMU 16:20 Crewe-Derby

This turned out to be my last run over the Woodhead route, which closed to all traffic exactly six months later. The Peak only lasted a few more years too, being the first 45/1 withdrawal, after ploughing into the rear of an oil tank train in a nasty crash at Eccles.

CW2

Established Member
Sunday 18/01/81
I offered to take my girlfriend on a trip to Cambridge. Suffice be it to say I chose my trains with a great deal of care:
37035 1236 Liverpool Street – Cambridge
37051 1720 Cambridge – Liverpool Street

Monday 18/01/82
An evening trip to Basingstoke with 50s:
50001 1700 Waterloo – Basingstoke
50033 1900 Basingstoke – Waterloo
The return journey was 35’ late. On arrival at Waterloo we came to a sudden halt part-way down the platform, as the air brake pipes between the loco and first coach had become uncoupled on the curve. Of course with no central door locking everybody just piled out through those coaches which had reached the platform, leaving the back of the train dangling out across the pointwork until the pipes could be recoupled and the train drawn into the platform correctly.

Monday 18/01/88
Another trip with (heavily pregnant) wife and 18 month old son to visit my parents (so no scope for any special moves here).
87003 1102 Crewe – Birmingham New Street
47586 1415 Birmingham New Street – Plymouth

CW2

Established Member
474747474 was one of those Duffs that seemed to turn up everywhere.
To the tune of Auld Lang Syne:

Verse 1

It's Forty Seven Forty Seven Forty Seven Four

Verse 2
(Same as verse 1)

Verse 3
(Repeat verse 1)

Falcon1200

Established Member
Tuesday 18th January 1983 - A Peak on the way to work (and there's another one tomorrow)
45124 0600 Derby-Poole (Oxford-Reading)

And a bit late, but as this loco was mentioned above:
Wednesday 12th January 1983
47545 1301 Paddington-Oxford (from Reading)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
CW2, surely there wouldn't have been much time in Cambridge between those 37s? Certainly not enough (in my view anyway!) to properly explore the beautiful city!

Good choice of moves to get to/from Cambridge, granted, but I can't honestly imagine how less than 4 hours in Cambridge would have been enough for a romantic day trip to Cambridge! Unless she, of course, was a closet 37 crank and also fancied some 37 action :lol:

CW2

Established Member
CW2, surely there wouldn't have been much time in Cambridge between those 37s? Certainly not enough (in my view anyway!) to properly explore the beautiful city!

Good choice of moves to get to/from Cambridge, granted, but I can't honestly imagine how less than 4 hours in Cambridge would have been enough for a romantic day trip to Cambridge! Unless she, of course, was a closet 37 crank and also fancied some 37 action :lol:
I think it was a Pub Lunch in Cambridge with a quick wander around the city afterwards. Remember, this is January, so it was getting dark before 5pm. No, she wasn't a closet crank - but she understood and tolerated the fact that I was.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think it was a Pub Lunch in Cambridge with a quick wander around the city afterwards. Remember, this is January, so it was getting dark before 5pm. No, she wasn't a closet crank - but she understood and tolerated the fact that I was.

Ah fair enough. Good point on it being dark quite early in January, I have to confess I was picturing Cambridge in the daylight from my own adventure there last year. Which has reminded me that it is on my list for a proper explore this year, and that Ely will be my base for it but actually do some cycling in/out of Ely as well this time.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Sunday 18/01/81
I offered to take my girlfriend on a trip to Cambridge. Suffice be it to say I chose my trains with a great deal of care:
37035 1236 Liverpool Street – Cambridge
37051 1720 Cambridge – Liverpool Street

The first time I went to Cambridge was January 1975, on the Percivals coach from Oxford for a day's spotting at the station, and I went many times since by bus and train.
The first time I went into the city was May last year ! On a trip to do the guided busway to St Ives. I have to say I was not impressed by the city, although coming from Oxford I am obviously slightly biased......

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The first time I went to Cambridge was January 1975, on the Percivals coach from Oxford for a day's spotting at the station, and I went many times since by bus and train.
The first time I went into the city was May last year ! On a trip to do the guided busway to St Ives. I have to say I was not impressed by the city, although coming from Oxford I am obviously slightly biased......

I have to say that I like both Oxford (what I can remember of it, as I visited a beer festival after a few beers in Brewdog and my memory is not too clear!) and Cambridge. However, despite being usually biased towards the West, in this case I found Cambridge better. I do have bias there though, as it is such a great place to go cycling. Oxford, I haven't been with my bike yet but it remains something to do. Perhaps I'll change my mind when I return to Oxford!

EDIT: What did you think of the busway? I cycled along it, quite a nice ride and I really must investigate other busways (Bristol and Manchester have them I believe) and see if they're rideable or just do the bus journey on them.

Dave W

I did exactly this on Sunday! Arrived at 1400, had a quick stroll around a couple of the open colleges and the shops, then into Pint Shop for a smart Sunday lunch and a couple of light ales. Was away by 1630.

(Thanks, by the way, for your commitment to this thread; I've never commented before but your daily update (and everyone else's) is the first thing I look for when I login - your stories are fascinating!)

xotGD

Established Member
Agreed the SVR is a good day out, it's my local heritage line so I've done it many times.
Cycling distance from home for you?

I once cycled to the Embsay & Bolton Abbey when I lived in Skipton, which is a bit of a shorter ride!

xotGD

Established Member
18th January 1992

Another of those days spinning about in the West Midlands Travelcard area. Three trips to Wolves, four trips to Cov. Haulage from:

87028, 87018, 87010, 86219, 87001, 87005, 87027, 86231

CW2

Established Member
You’re a closet crank? ;)
Ummm - on reflection I could have worded that better!
(Thanks, by the way, for your commitment to this thread; I've never commented before but your daily update (and everyone else's) is the first thing I look for when I login - your stories are fascinating!)
Cheers - nice to know there's somebody out there reading all this piffle!

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Three of us are more than halfway through our records now as we started this in May 2021. However, others started later so it should continue....

Falcon1200

Established Member
EDIT: What did you think of the busway? I cycled along it, quite a nice ride and I really must investigate other busways (Bristol and Manchester have them I believe) and see if they're rideable or just do the bus journey on them.

Although normally I'm very much pro-rail, I thought it actually worked well, having the great advantage over the former rail line that the buses can serve far more places at both ends, especially important in Cambridge where the station (or is it the city !) is poorly located. The one disappointment was on the return to Cambridge where the single-decker became extremely busy, while there were a number of double-deckers, and staff, standing idle at the Parkway stop outside St Ives.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cycling distance from home for you?

I once cycled to the Embsay & Bolton Abbey when I lived in Skipton, which is a bit of a shorter ride!

Certainly a good few hours of cycling involved in each direction, not to mention a lot of effort with some of the hills involved!

Although normally I'm very much pro-rail, I thought it actually worked well, having the great advantage over the former rail line that the buses can serve far more places at both ends, especially important in Cambridge where the station (or is it the city !) is poorly located. The one disappointment was on the return to Cambridge where the single-decker became extremely busy, while there were a number of double-deckers, and staff, standing idle at the Parkway stop outside St Ives.

That's very true with the buses. The railway station is not terribly convenient, and it's fair to say much of Cambridge is a decent trek by foot from the station. Quite, some of it takes some time by cycle as well!

CW2

Established Member
Thursday 19/01/78
31410 1652 Harrogate – Leeds
47526 1730 Leeds – Wakefield Westgate
DMU Wakefield Westgate – Leeds
46043 1906 Leeds – York
40047 2150 York – Leeds
DMU Leeds – York
I was meant to be studying music at Harrogate, but I spent longer studying railways once the college day was over. This was a theme which was to last for many years …

Friday 19/01/79
I don’t have to be in college until lunchtime, so there’s time for a little spin first:
46053 0915 York – Leeds
46054 1004 Leeds - York
47089 1126 York – Leeds
DMU Leeds – Harrogate
43064 + 43086 1620 Harrogate – Leeds
At Leeds the 1510 Liverpool – Newcastle arrived behind 46053, which I’d already had in the morning. However it was defective, and was swiftly replaced with a delay of only 6 minutes:
47047 1707 Leeds – York

Saturday 19/01/80
Some ECML Saturday night overnights were subject to multiple diversions, such as:
40062 2100 Kings Cross – Edinburgh
Via:
- Joint Lines (Sleaford)
- Selby
- Northallerton
- Stockton
- Leamside
- Scotswood
- Carlisle

20’ late into Edinburgh. I remember 40062 had a unique look to the nose-end panels. Like all of the Haymarket early series 40s, the central doors on the nose end had been plated over and a central headcode panel applied (in place of the discs), but on 40062 the “eyes” of the panel were clear (instead of white frosted) glass, and somebody had applied a pair of circular stickers to give it a cross-eyed appearance.

Monday 19/01/81
Passing by Finsbury Park in the evening I saw 40103 on shed. Hmm, allocated to Haymarket, and with a working boiler. I wonder what that will work?
40103 2300 Kings Cross – Doncaster
I was half expecting it to work the 2315 to Aberdeen, which was timed at a maximum speed of 75 mph for passenger comfort (and hence was within the capabilities of a class 40), but instead it was on the 2300 to Bradford.
(Tuesday 20/01/81)
Unfortunately the journey back to London was less enthralling:
47527 0419 Doncaster – Kings Cross
A quick wash and brush up in the Superloo at Kings Cross, then straight into work!

Tuesday 19/01/82
I had a couple of days leave, so decided to take a trip to Ireland. I intended catching the 1703 Euston – Holyhead, but that was cancelled ex Euston, restarting from Crewe, so I took the 1732 Liverpool instead:
87015 1732 Euston – Crewe
47541 1921 Crewe – Chester 33’ late (1703 Euston – Holyhead starting from Crewe)
Beers in Chester, then:
47492 2145 Chester – Holyhead 35’ late
… and onto the night boat (St Columba, I guess?).

Harvester

Established Member
Saturday 19th January 1991

The penultimate day of loco-haulage on the Liverpool-Newcastle service. Travelled to Northallerton for some final haulage before the 158s took over. Quite fittingly we got one of the regular performers of previous years (47488) back to York.

43089+43??? 10:17 Derby-Sheffield
43???+43??? 11:15 Sheffield-York
47642 13:45 York-Northallerton
47488 15:00 Northallerton-York
43149+43??? 16:18 York-Derby