• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bad news regarding the NNR March Steam Gala

Status
Not open for further replies.

w0033944

Sadly, it appears that 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley will not be at the North Norfolk Railways March Steam Gala this coming weekend (7th-9th March), due to a late decision by NR regarding weight restriction on the Bittern Line, despite having given the green light to the move last year.

http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/page.php?pid=40#60007

Quote from the above link:

The General Manager of the North Norfolk Railway, Trevor Eady, has released this statement following the withdrawal of 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley from it's 2014 March Steam Gala.

"Network Rail have advised that the A4 Sir Nigel Gresley will not be permitted to use the Norwich to Sheringham Line due to weight restrictions. This information has been given to us at a very late stage when the formal route permissions had already been issued. The North Norfolk Railway is devastated at this news as it has strived to bring this Iconic locomotive to the Railway for sometime. The owners of the Locomotive are likewise extremely disappointed as will be all the visitors planning to see the Locomotive during its visit. All the paperwork had been provided to Network Rail as requested at the end of 2013 and all appeared to have been cleared for the operation this late decision is extremely disappointing and damaging to the Railways reputation. We hope that everyone still attends the Gala which will feature all our based loco’s including the newly returned to service George Stephenson Black five and the Standard 4 76084."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
Sadly, it appears that 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley will not be at the North Norfolk Railways March Steam Gala this coming weekend (7th-9th March), due to a late decision by NR regarding weight restriction on the Bittern Line, despite having given the green light to the move last year.

Thanks for posting this, I was posting to the general thread at about the same time.

Sad news indeed.

I can only think that a recent survey has thrown up an issue. I fully accept that running the 24/7 railway simply has to take precedence but Network Rail will not be making any friends unless a little more becomes known. And unless a little more does become known, future movements cannot be planned with any confidence.

w0033944

Thanks for posting this, I was posting to the general thread at about the same time.

Sad news indeed.

I can only think that a recent survey has thrown up an issue. I fully accept that running the 24/7 railway simply has to take precedence but Network Rail will not be making any friends unless a little more becomes known. And unless a little more does become known, future movements cannot be planned with any confidence.

Indeed. How many national network-linked preserved lines are going to advertise visiting locos given this situation?:roll:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The General Manager of the North Norfolk Railway, Trevor Eady, was today interviewed by BBC Radio Norfolk, click here to listen to the interview. The BBC iPlayer clip will be available through the BBC Website for 7 days.

TP

Last edited:

w0033944

The General Manager of the North Norfolk Railway, Trevor Eady, was today interviewed by BBC Radio Norfolk, click here to listen to the interview. The BBC iPlayer clip will be available through the BBC Website for 7 days.

TP

Could you provide an indication of what point in the programme Trevor Eady is interviewed, please? Given that it's a 3 hour programme, it's somewhat awkward to listen to the whole thing!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've linked to the specific point, you should be given an option to resume from 1h 23m 15s, if this isn't the case... you now have the time anyway! :P

TP

w0033944

I've linked to the specific point, you should be given an option to resume from 1h 23m 15s, if this isn't the case... you now have the time anyway! :P

TP

Thanks - the link doesn't go to that point, sadly, so the information is much appreciated!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
No problem, having now checked it on another browser, it does appear to be a cookie based thing... sorry for the confusion.

TP

w0033944

No problem, having now checked it on another browser, it does appear to be a cookie based thing... sorry for the confusion.

TP

No problem - thanks for the link!

Just listening to it - Trevor Eady mentions an alternative loco coming from Kent - presumably the KESR? Anyone know what it might be?

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
No problem - thanks for the link!

Just listening to it - Trevor Eady mentions an alternative loco coming from Kent - presumably the K&ESR? Anyone know what it might be?

Yes... there is a locomotive in the pipeline, if you'd pardon the pun. The company will announce it officially once it has passed a Steam Test etcetera... understandably it'd be stupid of the company to announce it for it to fall through because it's not fit to run.

I expect information through on this Wednesday, I get all NNR information just before it goes on the website... and there is a very legitimate reason for that! ;)

TP

w0033944

Yes... there is a locomotive in the pipeline, if you'd pardon the pun. The company will announce it officially once it has passed a Steam Test etcetera... understandably it'd be stupid of the company to announce it for it to fall through because it's not fit to run.

I expect information through on this Wednesday, I get all NNR information just before it goes on the website... and there is a very legitimate reason for that! ;)

TP

Will the information appear on the NNR website by Friday or will it be a case of you updating us when allowed?

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Will the information appear on the NNR website by Friday or will it be a case of you updating us when allowed?

It arrives in my NNR Email Inbox as and when it has permission to 'go public', with the gala now so close, it will almost certainly be with plenty of notice, I believe the Steam Tests at the Kent based Railway to be on Wednesday.

I can only share information I am given.

TP

w0033944

It arrives in my NNR Email Inbox as and when it has permission to 'go public', with the gala now so close, it will almost certainly be with plenty of notice, I believe the Steam Tests at the Kent based Railway to be on Wednesday.

I can only share information I am given.

TP

Much appreciated - thanks.:)

Johnny_w

Seems like news this morning of a pannier tank coming from Kent!

As long as that breakfast train rolls......i are happy!

Well done guys for securing a replacement.

JW and famila!

455driver

Veteran Member
Apparently, the owners do not allow it to be transported by road.

Because the articulation required to get on and off a road trailer puts a huge amount of stress on the axles, springs and frames.

Any loco which has been transported by road and is going to be used on the mainline has to be weighed again to ensure that the axles are still taking the correct amount of weight each.

Established Member
Unfortunately this is also the weekend that Network Rail are putting in the track work for Europa Junction. (the north end of the new Ipswich Chord), so it is a coach down the A140 from Ipswich to Norwich on Saturday and Sunday.

w0033944

Well, I was there today. Went from Sheringham to Holt behind the B12, which pulled away from a stand at the foot of the bank and went over the summit still accelerating (4 MK1s plus a CCT behind), then Holt to Weybourne later on behind the Standard 4, and finally Weybourne back to Sheringham behind the class 37. You may be wondering why the Tractor was involved - unfortunately the GWR 56xx 0-6-2T failed with (rather worryingly) water in the firebox. There was also a problem early on with the Pannier from the KESR, but that was resolved and it was used on both the demonstration goods and top-and-tailed with the Tractor on the dining train.

Last edited:

w0033944

Given that Trevor Eady explained in the Radio Norfolk interview that NR said that they had reassessed the structure on the Bittern Line between giving initial permission for SNG and the end of February and decided to downgrade the weight allowance as a result, I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind his comments regarding it happening "one day". Presumably he anticipates NR working on the line to return it to its old weight restriction?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Given that Trevor Eady explained in the Radio Norfolk interview that NR said that they had reassessed the structure on the Bittern Line between giving initial permission for SNG and the end of February and decided to downgrade the weight allowance as a result, I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind his comments regarding it happening "one day". Presumably he anticipates NR working on the line to return it to its old weight restriction?

I am not in the position to comment on this, feel free to communicate with him direct via Twitter if you wish!

TP

GB

Established Member
How does the weight of this loco compare to the loaded TEA type North Walsham tanks that run on that line?

w0033944

I am not in the position to comment on this, feel free to communicate with him direct via Twitter if you wish!

TP

I'm not a member of the Twitterati, I'm afraid.:oops::lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
How does the weight of this loco compare to the loaded TEA type North Walsham tanks that run on that line?

I suspect the line as far as North Walsham has a less draconian weight restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.