• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bakerloo Line Refurb?

Russel

The line north of Queens Park is called the Buckaroo for a reason!

The line beyond Queens Park always puts a smile on my face, such a contrast between the 72 stock and the Pendolinos that fly past them a few feet away at 100+ MPH.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thirteen

I wonder if Khan and TfL are counting on a Labour Government to give them a long term deal? The Bakerloo Line Upgrade is on the cards;

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If only we could have kept our lovely slammers for fifty six + years (sigh).

Snow1964

Established Member
Seriously, though, there was the small matter of a global pandemic during the 5-year exemption period, which might give TfL an excuse for not completing the modifications in time?
But a 2 year pandemic doesn't justify extra 5 years

The legislation was 2010, didn't do it within 9 years, wanted extra 5 years and now another 5 years.
Does it really take 19 years to alter some handrails and make announcements compliant ? The floor slopes maybe, but the extra 5 years extension request for others is taking the mick.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member

The legislation was 2010, didn't do it within 9 years, wanted extra 5 years and now another 5 years.
Does it really take 19 years to alter some handrails and make announcements compliant ? The floor slopes maybe, but the extra 5 years extension request for others is taking the mick.
Fair point.
They managed well enough in getting announcements about wearing masks on every train (and still had them long after they were no longer mandatory)

brad465

Established Member
I confess I tend to avoid the Bakerloo line as much as I can, with the old stock and general poor feeling of the line the main reasons. However sometimes other factors also influence this: if I'm travelling with a bike then I have to use the Circle Line, but I find that for someone fairly mobile and knowing where they're going, the Elizabeth Line and Northern line can be quicker going from Paddington-Charing X, changing at Tottenham Court Rd. I accept not everyone can do this nor would want to.

bramling

Veteran Member

Agree. This shows that TFL may well be very good at making political statements (for example naming Overground lines in a blatantly political way), but aren’t so good at what they are actually meant to be doing which is delivering a transport service.

There is no excuse for this having dragged on for so long. Poor management, quite simply.

trebor79

Established Member
But has had a lot more time to make their stock compliant and a much bigger budget
People can't stick their heads out of the windows or open the doors whilst the train is moving on the Bakerloo though. And the doors are interlocked such that the train will not start/will stop if a door does open.
Bit different to WCRC.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Little anecdote from the Bakerloo today, i overheard a couple of youths (in their hoodies and expensive trainers, you know the youth that they have these days) talking on a train earlier today. One said that the trains were old but "posh" presumably because of the transverse seating. Means nothing but it amused me. :lol:

Nym

Established Member
People can't stick their heads out of the windows or open the doors whilst the train is moving on the Bakerloo though. And the doors are interlocked such that the train will not start/will stop if a door does open.
Bit different to WCRC.
Point of clarity,
Although specifically mentioned with the '/' symbol.

The door interlocks on 1972TS do not apply the brakes and will not directly apply the brake.

One should also note there there is no excuse for this taking 14 years so far for these trains to be made compliant, or a realistic exemption set be applied for.

For the most part, in no particular order the work that was needed for RVAR 2010.
  • Wheelchair Bays - The design has been at the preliminary stage for at least 9 years, with viable planning for a prototype and fleet planning for at least 7 years.
  • Passenger Information System - There have been design(s) for at least 10 years, three sets of design have been done to the concept level, and one was done to at least the pre-preliminary level with a prelim design done for the EKE Electronics system, essentially a 1992TS "lite" system, around 6 years ago.
  • Grab Rails and Applicable Exceptions - Known 10 years ago.
  • Seat Height Exception - Known to be permanent 10 years ago.
I know there's other issues like step free access that at the time was handled by staff attendance and manual ramps, but we all know where TfL went with "Staff" a while back.

There is literally, not figuratively, literally, no excuse, other than human (management) issues, for this taking so long.

notverydeep

One should also note there there is no excuse for this taking 14 years so far for these trains to be made compliant, or a realistic exemption set be applied for.

Many of the delays to rolling stock improvement projects that have manifested themselves over the last several years, stem at least in part from the transfer of the network of London's strategic roads (Trunk Roads - basically the 'red routes') from the Highways Agency to TfL. With these 380 kilometres of roads came a huge maintenance liability, but essentially none of the corresponding maintenance funding and so this has had to come from other sources. This in turn clearly impacts investment prioritisation...

class397tpe

Many of the delays to rolling stock improvement projects that have manifested themselves over the last several years, stem at least in part from the transfer of the network of London's strategic roads (Trunk Roads - basically the 'red routes') from the Highways Agency to TfL. With these 380 kilometres of roads came a huge maintenance liability, but essentially none of the corresponding maintenance funding and so this has had to come from other sources. This in turn clearly impacts investment prioritisation...
The roads didn’t get a good deal either, basically zero improvements over the past 24 years. Some very obvious pinch points that could be cheaply improved, and antiquated and dangerous junction layouts, left untouched.

TrenHotel

I wonder if Khan and TfL are counting on a Labour Government to give them a long term deal? The Bakerloo Line Upgrade is on the cards;
A lobbying group of councils has been pushing for the upgrade and the Lewisham/Hayes extension in one go:

https://centrallondonforward.gov.uk...P_001F_Bakerloo-Extension-Revised_Digital.pdf
The Bakerloo Line Upgrade and Extension is a
London-wide strategic imperative. As this document
has outlined, the existing line plays a significant role
in supporting London, and more broadly, communities
nationally. The Bakerloo Line Upgrade and Extension
will unlock opportunity to:

• Underpin the London and UK economy
• Enable London’s Culture, Tourism and Knowledge
Corridor
• Achieve Net Zero
• Future Proof Transport
• Accelerate Place Led Growth
• Create Economic Resilience

Without investment in the Upgrade, there is a serious
risk of failure which will impact London and the UK’s
competitiveness. But this is not just about transport,
the Extension brings huge opportunity to unlock and
accelerate ambitious growth plans to bring benefits
to residents and businesses across London, and
support a net zero economy.

This report therefore arrives at a pivotal moment in
time – an opportunity to invest in the Bakerloo Line
Upgrade and Extension to future proof London.
The scale of this major infrastructure project means
there is a long-lead in time to realise the full breadth
of social, economic and environmental benefits
outlined in this report.

However, this should not mean that decisions and
commitments cannot occur now. UK Government,
Transport for London and the boroughs must continue
to work together in the short term to bring certainty
and deliver commitments on the future direction of
the projec

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a general reminder this is a thread to discuss updates relating to Bakerloo Line refurbishment

Ant discussion of anything else, such as roads or a possible extension, should be posted in the relevant forum section for that topic (i.e, in those cases, Other Transport and Speculative Discussion, respectively)

Many thanks:)

Busman

Are the 1972 Stock currently having a further refurbishment? I've seen some stock on the morning services having a new handrail either side of the door and all the rails seem relatively fresh on the trains I've seen and new seats?

20240228-064043.jpg

Even that is a better refurb than the Central line.