• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Balham - Brookwood NOT via London routing

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine buys a season ticket from Balham to Brookwood (NOT via London).

What are the possible routes that this ticket is valid for? I ask as a friend claims to have exited at Waterloo using this ticket whereas a second friend who has a Clapham Junction - Brookwood ticket was unable to exit at Waterloo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

Certainly not via Waterloo

A bit of playing about with journey planners shows as possibles:

via Clapham Junction
via Sutton/Wimbledon
via Epsom/Raynes Park

May be others

I just wondered why the barriers at Waterloo opened for a non London ticket.

Thought there could be some obscure reason in case National Rail was closed in Balham that you could use LUL to Waterloo and then on to Brookwood.

That's not likely though is it?

hassaanhc

Established Member
I just wondered why the barriers at Waterloo opened for a non London ticket.

Thought there could be some obscure reason in case National Rail was closed in Balham that you could use LUL to Waterloo and then on to Brookwood.

That's not likely though is it?

Barriers can let invalid tickets through if they've been set to do so, which also means they can reject valid tickets if they've set them to! A manual check would put them in a spot of bother (given RPIs hang around the barriers at Waterloo).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A friend of mine buys a season ticket from Balham to Brookwood (NOT via London).

What are the possible routes that this ticket is valid for? I ask as a friend claims to have exited at Waterloo using this ticket whereas a second friend who has a Clapham Junction - Brookwood ticket was unable to exit at Waterloo.
They could both be right in terms of the way the barriers behaved, as barriers can generally be programmed to accept/reject tickets based on various factors on demand.

However if caught, they are liable to pay an excess fare of half the difference to the appropriate fare.... unless they are stopped by an inspector who believes it was a deliberate attempt to avoid payment of the fare via London, in which case they could be asked to make a Statement.

Barriers can let invalid tickets through if they've been set to do so, which also means they can reject valid tickets if they've set them to! A manual check would put them in a spot of bother (given RPIs hang around the barriers at Waterloo).

They could both be right in terms of the way the barriers behaved, as barriers can generally be programmed to accept/reject tickets based on various factors on demand.

However if caught, they are liable to pay an excess fare of half the difference to the appropriate fare.... unless they are stopped by an inspector who believes it was a deliberate attempt to avoid payment of the fare via London, in which case they could be asked to make a Statement.

Cool. I suspected it could cause them problems and will advise them accordingly. Many thanks.

34D

Established Member
However if caught, they are liable to pay an excess fare of half the difference to the appropriate fare....

It's a season ticket, so they would be left with a 19c additional ticket which ought to have been bought before starting the journey....

Status
Not open for further replies.