• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barcelona - Portbou/Cerbere [R11 Rodalies]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclebike

Hi everyone

I'm currently in Morocco on a cycling trip and will be travelling back to the UK overland. I have a ferry booking from Nador to Barcelona, arriving Barcelona 10th December. I will overnight in Barcelona and then continue my journey on Sunday 11th December.
Ideally I would take the R11 Rodalies train (although this route appears to actually be operated as a RENFE "R" or "MD" service if I'm not mistaken?) from Barcelona to either Portbou or Cerbere, and then catch the Intercités de Nuit from Cerbere to Paris on night of 11th. I cannot, however, ascertain if the R11 connection from Barcelona will actually be operating on 11th (typically a Sunday...) as no trains show in any planners, although they seem to show for the days either side! I have found reference to some kind of engineering work taking place which seems to end on 10th December, but searching for journeys from further up the line e.g. Granollers yields no results either... After all, I have a bike so can ride a few km if there is a "missing link!"

Plan B is to take the Rodalies R3 instead from Barcelona to La Tour de Carol, then TER to Toulouse, then pick-up the Intercités de Nuit there on to Paris.

I'm currently holding bookings for the night train from both Cerbere and Toulouse, but if anyone could shed any light on whether the Cerbere route will work it'd be appreciated (or any other thoughts for that matter)!

Cheers
Rob

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

You can go directly from Latour de Carol (d 18.42 on 11/12) to Paris Austerlitz (a 07.19) - this portion attaches to the main Cerbere train at Toulouse. This will save any possible aggravation via Portbou.

AndrewE

Established Member
How does that work if you have a bike with you? Maybe there is a brake van of some sort that goes through with the couchettes or seats?

I have used that service quite a few times over the years, always in couchettes but never with luggage I couldn't get into the compartment...
A

dazzler

You can go directly from Latour de Carol (d 18.42 on 11/12) to Paris Austerlitz (a 07.19) - this portion attaches to the main Cerbere train at Toulouse. This will save any possible aggravation via Portbou.
Sadly that's not a possibility with a bike. There is no cycle carriage on the Latour-De-Carol portion of the overnight train. The coach with the cycle compartment is part of the Cerbère portion.

cyclebike

Sadly that's not a possibility with a bike. There is no cycle carriage on the Latour-De-Carol portion of the overnight train. The coach with the cycle compartment is part of the Cerbère portion.

Correct, unfortunately

How does that work if you have a bike with you? Maybe there is a brake van of some sort that goes through with the couchettes or seats?

I have used that service quite a few times over the years, always in couchettes but never with luggage I couldn't get into the compartment...
A

The couchette car where the guard has their office has a compartment at the other end dedicated to bikes (and the cyclists themselves are plonked in the compartment directly next to that)

The Spanish "commuter" routes schedules do not get uploaded to external planners, not even the main RENFE one. RENFE are special this way.

Use the site of Gencat/Rodalies de Catalunya https://rodalies.gencat.cat/en/horaris/

There are services to Portbou on the 11th but only from Barcelona-Sant Andreu Comtal

@Flying Snail ... I think you may have cracked this, thanks! I've even now downloaded their app and yes it shows schedules for 11th. Thanks for that!

AdamWW

Established Member

When I used the Latour sleeper about a month ago it had a bit looking like this, which I took to be a cycle space. Of course that doesn't mean that it was Officially There and therefore bookable.

1669497843625.png

cyclebike

When I used the Latour sleeper about a month ago it had a bit looking like this, which I took to be a cycle space. Of course that doesn't mean that it was Officially There and therefore bookable.

Interesting, they didn't used to have racks! It was just a stripped-out compartment. Was this a refurbished couchette car?

AdamWW

Established Member
Interesting, they didn't used to have racks! It was just a stripped-out compartment. Was this a refurbished couchette car?

I wouldn't know how to tell, but from the missing straps and things I'd guess (and hope) that it wasn't refurbished.

1669499116409.png

cyclebike

I wouldn't know how to tell, but from the missing straps and things I'd guess (and hope) that it wasn't refurbished.

Agreed, doesn't look like it's seen any attention, and unfortunately SNCF still insist no bike spaces on that portion!

dutchflyer

Established Member
1.this little secret about cercanias/rodalies is since they are there and there is www-on the renfe. site its clearly marked
1b.NO MD-the official designation now is Catalunya express-much better, as MD have this pesky mandatory reservation. Sets are mostly the same commutr style though-a very few may be slightly less very basic-all have those hard plastic seats. They skip several minor stops till Girona.
2.yes, since a few weeks/monthes thee are reported works along this line close by Bcn.
3.after many yrs I used a SNCF couchette southward till Toulon, also with pass, last spring and found the experience not so inviting as to repeat it. Seats cars on those trains are mostly declassified older Corail 1st cl and looked in all more appealing with more space around you.
The verdict here and other sites is always ´it saves a hotel´ it does not- it may barely compare with what nowadays hoStels with multi bed rooms offer-and these will cost less and offer more in general

AdamWW

Established Member
1.this little secret about cercanias/rodalies is since they are there and there is www-on the renfe. site its clearly marked

I wouldn't call it clearly marked. You have to know that unlike any other European travel planner I've used you have to go to a separate section for suburban trains and that Barcelona trains are listed under Rodalies de Cataluna. (Also if going to Latour that a 3+ hour journey up into the Pyrenees and across the French border is a suburban train). I don't think I'm unusual in that I wouldn't have worked that out without help.

3.after many yrs I used a SNCF couchette southward till Toulon, also with pass, last spring and found the experience not so inviting as to repeat it. Seats cars on those trains are mostly declassified older Corail 1st cl and looked in all more appealing with more space around you.
The verdict here and other sites is always ´it saves a hotel´ it does not- it may barely compare with what nowadays hoStels with multi bed rooms offer-and these will cost less and offer more in general

Yes you could probably get a bed in a dorm room for less and with better facilities but they have the disadvantage that you wake up in the same place that you went to bed.

Couchettes don't work for some people and that's fine. But others (including me) find them an enjoyable experience and a considerable saving on time.

And personally I'd much rather be in a couchette than trying to sleep in a seat all night, possibly with somebody right next to me.

rvdborgt

The Spanish "commuter" routes schedules do not get uploaded to external planners, not even the main RENFE one. RENFE are special this way.
Renfe is special in many ways... but they normally do send the timetables for the trains to Portbou/Cerbère to the European Timetable Centre (so they're included in e.g. the DB planner). Except that they didn't feel like sending the new timetables valid from 11 December yet, except for 1 train/day that still seems to start in Barcelona Sants.

cyclebike

To answer the couchette point; I find the Intercites de Nuit a good solution to travelling across France with a bike. No stress worrying whether there'll be enough space on-board etc and I actually find the bunks themselves surprisingly comfortable.

Without the bike, I would be taking the high-speed train Barcelona - Paris!!

cyclebike

Evening all

Thanks for your previous assistance, just thought I'd come back with a report on the trip (which probably means this now belongs in another section...)

A few days prior, I had notification from SNCF that the Cerbere - Paris Austerlitz night train was cancelled. It looked like the Cerbere line was closed afternoon of Sunday 11th December due to something related to a freight train. The train would still operate from Toulouse. So instead I planned to take Rodalies out of Barcelona to Latour de Carol, then a TER onwards to Toulouse, and pick up the Intercités de Nuit there.

After a pleasant ferry crossing on the GNV Atlas from Nador to Barcelona (during which the Morocco World Cup quarter-final match was shown, and we disembarked to gridlock in Barcelona seemingly caused by celebrating Morocco fans!), I stayed overnight in Barcelona. Morning of 11th, I decided to cycle the 10km or so to l'Hospitalet de Llobregat where the Latour de Carol train starts from. I took the 1124 departure which was comprised of two sets. Joining early turned out to be a good call as the train became standing room only from Sants all the way to Vic, would have been a right pain to get my overloaded touring bike and panniers on.

1rodalies.jpg
The Rodalies ready for departure at l'Hospitalet de Llobregat for Latour de Carol

2rodaliesonboard.jpg
On-board the Rodalies, bike stowed

Beyond Vic, the train was very lightly loaded so I could open up my picnic lunch from the Lidl bakery (to my surprise open in Barcelona on a Sunday). A long mainly single-track section headed up towards the Pyrenees with great views opening up.

3rodaliesview.jpg
Great views heading into the Pyrenees

Arriving around five minutes down at Latour de Carol, at 1456, I headed onto the platform to breathe in some cold Pyreneen air and take in the views. The double-set Regiolis train onwards to Toulouse was waiting in the adjacent platform with the doors released on the front set. I boarded and stowed everything ahead of the 1524 departure.
Also at the station was the Intercités de Nuit consist leaving later that evening for Paris. I would happily take this, but SNCF do not allow bikes to be booked on this portion. Sure enough, a couchette car including bike spaces was clearly visible in the consist!

4latour.jpg
The TER Regiolis for Toulouse ahead of starting its trip from Latour de Carol

5latouronboard.jpg
On-board the Regiolis

I rather like these Regiolis trains, having previously used them on the "classic" line between Paris and Calais (via Boulogne and Amiens). This was a slightly older version but still comfortable, although the table supports restricted legroom a little on the window seats.
Darkness fell and we arrived in Toulouse on-time at 1814. A cold wind was blowing and I had 4.5 hours to kill before the Intercités de Nuit would depart at 2248. I rode off to a McDonald's (I'm sorry to report) to have some food and keep warm!

Back at the station, shortly after 2210 the platform was announced for the night journey to Paris-Austerlitz. I'd found a lift down to the subway but there didn't seem to be any lifts back up to the platforms, so I had to make two trips up the stairs - first with my luggage, then with the bike. No idea what happens if you're disabled! After a ticket check, I was sent to coach 17 (although my booking was for coach 7) - for some reason all the coaches seem to be numbered 10 too high and were in the process of being renumbered... Possibly something to do with the Cerbere portion not running that night? This turned out to be a refurbished couchette car (some in the consist were unrefurbished), with bike racks and tidier-looking berths, and more modern loos too (although they still seemed to be locked out of use until departure, so possibly still not retention toilets?).

6idntoulouse.jpg
Leading the line on the Intercités de Nuit from Toulouse to Paris

7idnberth.jpg
My refurbished berth on-board

8idnbike.jpg
Bike stowed

I always prefer a lower berth, shoving my bags on the floor under the bunk. Not really a problem on this journey as only one other person in the six-berth compartment, on the top bunk. Power sockets have been fitted during the refurbishment, but these have a too-bright red light surrounding them (always lit), a bit annoyingly like the Caledonian Sleeper berth control panels. I had a comfortable night using the provided "sleeping bag."

I was up prompt in the morning, arrival scheduled for 0719 although an announcement said we were around 15 down. I used the time to squeeze forward to coach 2, where breakfast was apparently available, although this turned out to be a cup of instant coffee (for €2) and the additional possibility of a packet of biscuits which I declined! I needed to be riding away from Austerlitz as soon as possible. My booked direct TER from Paris to Calais was being terminated early at Boulogne due to engineering works, so I wouldn't get to Calais in time for the ferry back. Instead I'd come up with a convoluted route now involving three trains, first to Amiens, then Arras, and finally on to Calais-Ville. Such is the unfortunate routine of trying to use French trains with a bike! The first connection left Gare du Nord at 0804 which seemed a tough ask as we only pulled in to Austerlitz around 0734... Despite the cold weather I built up a sweat riding through the dark streets of Paris and made Gare du Nord just after 0800. The Amiens train was still advertised, and I made it - to my surprise a former Intercités loco-hauled consist, fortunately with the bike compartment at the very rear! The train ended up leaving a few minutes late, but having made this one the rest of my schedule should be attainable...

In Amiens, I had time to brave the freezing streets to find a bakery and get a few pastries for breakfast, before heading back to the station for the 1050 departure to Arras. This comprised double-deck commuter stock. This was the only time my ticket was checked between Paris and Calais (not even any barriers at any of the four stations!). As it was a bargain €10 advance for the (supposed) direct Paris-Calais train, I expected an issue, but the inspector just scanned it, thanked me, and moved on...

In Arras, I awaited the 1215 departure to Calais-Ville, which had me arriving there at 1418. This was a pleasant journey with many stops at small shacks. The sun came out on the way and I was surprised at the large bike area on this TER with six hooks, not even "shared" with tip-up seats. I know hooks aren't ideal but these European varieties seem to accept the tyre a lot easier than the UK ones for example on the class 80x!

9ter.jpg
The TER awaiting departure from Arras for Calais

10terbike.jpg
On-board the TER for Calais

Arriving in Calais, I rode the few km to the Calais Port which has had a sizable extension with the check-in area now in a different location. Quick progress through and I was awaiting departure for Dover.

Back in the UK, I had (more through chance than good planning) arrived back on the last evening before the strikes starting on 13th. Snow had caused Southeastern significant disruption but I arrived at Dover Priory just as the 1718 London Victoria train was turning around. I hopped on-board - all other trains were showing cancelled/delayed, and we had a smooth journey to London although losing around 25 minutes en-route.
Final ride across to London Waterloo station to hop on a Weymouth train for the final leg (this was all running to time!).

Tester

Evening all

Thanks for your previous assistance, just thought I'd come back with a report on the trip (which probably means this now belongs in another section...)

A few days prior, I had notification from SNCF that the Cerbere - Paris Austerlitz night train was cancelled. It looked like the Cerbere line was closed afternoon of Sunday 11th December due to something related to a freight train. The train would still operate from Toulouse. So instead I planned to take Rodalies out of Barcelona to Latour de Carol, then a TER onwards to Toulouse, and pick up the Intercités de Nuit there.

After a pleasant ferry crossing on the GNV Atlas from Nador to Barcelona (during which the Morocco World Cup quarter-final match was shown, and we disembarked to gridlock in Barcelona seemingly caused by celebrating Morocco fans!), I stayed overnight in Barcelona. Morning of 11th, I decided to cycle the 10km or so to l'Hospitalet de Llobregat where the Latour de Carol train starts from. I took the 1124 departure which was comprised of two sets. Joining early turned out to be a good call as the train became standing room only from Sants all the way to Vic, would have been a right pain to get my overloaded touring bike and panniers on.

View attachment 125219
The Rodalies ready for departure at l'Hospitalet de Llobregat for Latour de Carol

View attachment 125220
On-board the Rodalies, bike stowed

Beyond Vic, the train was very lightly loaded so I could open up my picnic lunch from the Lidl bakery (to my surprise open in Barcelona on a Sunday). A long mainly single-track section headed up towards the Pyrenees with great views opening up.

View attachment 125221
Great views heading into the Pyrenees

Arriving around five minutes down at Latour de Carol, at 1456, I headed onto the platform to breathe in some cold Pyreneen air and take in the views. The double-set Regiolis train onwards to Toulouse was waiting in the adjacent platform with the doors released on the front set. I boarded and stowed everything ahead of the 1524 departure.
Also at the station was the Intercités de Nuit consist leaving later that evening for Paris. I would happily take this, but SNCF do not allow bikes to be booked on this portion. Sure enough, a couchette car including bike spaces was clearly visible in the consist!

View attachment 125222
The TER Regiolis for Toulouse ahead of starting its trip from Latour de Carol

View attachment 125223
On-board the Regiolis

I rather like these Regiolis trains, having previously used them on the "classic" line between Paris and Calais (via Boulogne and Amiens). This was a slightly older version but still comfortable, although the table supports restricted legroom a little on the window seats.
Darkness fell and we arrived in Toulouse on-time at 1814. A cold wind was blowing and I had 4.5 hours to kill before the Intercités de Nuit would depart at 2248. I rode off to a McDonald's (I'm sorry to report) to have some food and keep warm!

Back at the station, shortly after 2210 the platform was announced for the night journey to Paris-Austerlitz. I'd found a lift down to the subway but there didn't seem to be any lifts back up to the platforms, so I had to make two trips up the stairs - first with my luggage, then with the bike. No idea what happens if you're disabled! After a ticket check, I was sent to coach 17 (although my booking was for coach 7) - for some reason all the coaches seem to be numbered 10 too high and were in the process of being renumbered... Possibly something to do with the Cerbere portion not running that night? This turned out to be a refurbished couchette car (some in the consist were unrefurbished), with bike racks and tidier-looking berths, and more modern loos too (although they still seemed to be locked out of use until departure, so possibly still not retention toilets?).

View attachment 125234
Leading the line on the Intercités de Nuit from Toulouse to Paris

View attachment 125235
My refurbished berth on-board

View attachment 125236
Bike stowed

I always prefer a lower berth, shoving my bags on the floor under the bunk. Not really a problem on this journey as only one other person in the six-berth compartment, on the top bunk. Power sockets have been fitted during the refurbishment, but these have a too-bright red light surrounding them (always lit), a bit annoyingly like the Caledonian Sleeper berth control panels. I had a comfortable night using the provided "sleeping bag."

I was up prompt in the morning, arrival scheduled for 0719 although an announcement said we were around 15 down. I used the time to squeeze forward to coach 2, where breakfast was apparently available, although this turned out to be a cup of instant coffee (for €2) and the additional possibility of a packet of biscuits which I declined! I needed to be riding away from Austerlitz as soon as possible. My booked direct TER from Paris to Calais was being terminated early at Boulogne due to engineering works, so I wouldn't get to Calais in time for the ferry back. Instead I'd come up with a convoluted route now involving three trains, first to Amiens, then Arras, and finally on to Calais-Ville. Such is the unfortunate routine of trying to use French trains with a bike! The first connection left Gare du Nord at 0804 which seemed a tough ask as we only pulled in to Austerlitz around 0734... Despite the cold weather I built up a sweat riding through the dark streets of Paris and made Gare du Nord just after 0800. The Amiens train was still advertised, and I made it - to my surprise a former Intercités loco-hauled consist, fortunately with the bike compartment at the very rear! The train ended up leaving a few minutes late, but having made this one the rest of my schedule should be attainable...

In Amiens, I had time to brave the freezing streets to find a bakery and get a few pastries for breakfast, before heading back to the station for the 1050 departure to Arras. This comprised double-deck commuter stock. This was the only time my ticket was checked between Paris and Calais (not even any barriers at any of the four stations!). As it was a bargain €10 advance for the (supposed) direct Paris-Calais train, I expected an issue, but the inspector just scanned it, thanked me, and moved on...

In Arras, I awaited the 1215 departure to Calais-Ville, which had me arriving there at 1418. This was a pleasant journey with many stops at small shacks. The sun came out on the way and I was surprised at the large bike area on this TER with six hooks, not even "shared" with tip-up seats. I know hooks aren't ideal but these European varieties seem to accept the tyre a lot easier than the UK ones for example on the class 80x!

View attachment 125243
The TER awaiting departure from Arras for Calais

View attachment 125244
On-board the TER for Calais

Arriving in Calais, I rode the few km to the Calais Port which has had a sizable extension with the check-in area now in a different location. Quick progress through and I was awaiting departure for Dover.

Back in the UK, I had (more through chance than good planning) arrived back on the last evening before the strikes starting on 13th. Snow had caused Southeastern significant disruption but I arrived at Dover Priory just as the 1718 London Victoria train was turning around. I hopped on-board - all other trains were showing cancelled/delayed, and we had a smooth journey to London although losing around 25 minutes en-route.
Final ride across to London Waterloo station to hop on a Weymouth train for the final leg (this was all running to time!).
Bravo!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Great report. I'm surprised they don't carry bikes on the Latour-de-Carol portion, I'd have thought there'd be a fair amount of demand for it particularly in summer.
With regard to the portion having a bike space, I get the impression that vehicles having to be swapped out at short notice is quite a common occurrence. When I used it a few years ago I'd booked seats but the southbound Latour-de-Carol seating coach had been swapped out for a couchette car. Presumably they simply can't guarantee they'll have a coach with bike racks available, so won't accept advance bookings. Did you have chance to ask the stewards whether they'd allow you to book a place from Latour rather than Toulouse and use the bike space from there?

cyclebike

Did you have chance to ask the stewards whether they'd allow you to book a place from Latour rather than Toulouse and use the bike space from there?

Thanks 61653 HTAFC. No, there were no crew around as it wasn't leaving for a few hours. Gave me chance for the run in daylight out of the Pyrenees and some dinner in Toulouse, at least!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Thanks 61653 HTAFC. No, there were no crew around as it wasn't leaving for a few hours. Gave me chance for the run in daylight out of the Pyrenees and some dinner in Toulouse, at least!
Fair point... even as someone who's into trains I'd rather spend a few hours in Toulouse than Latour-de-Carol!

Beebman

Simply Railway has just posted a video of a journey in the opposite direction from Paris Austerlitz to La Tour de Carol with an Intercités de Nuit train and then on to Barcelona with a Rodalies (which didn't go quite to plan but I won't post a spoiler!):

Video description:
Welcome to this new video where I will show you how to get from Paris to Barcelona for only 49€ and guess the best part. It's via a night train!! Though not everything went according to plan.. Enjoy! - TRIP INFORMATION - RECORDED NOVEMBER 2022 Railroad company: SNCF and Rodalies de Catalunya (Renfe) Train type: Corail and S-447 From: Paris-Austerlitz to Barcelona Sants Time: 15h31 Price: 49€

AdamWW

Established Member
Evening all

Thanks for a fascinating write-up.

Fair point... even as someone who's into trains I'd rather spend a few hours in Toulouse than Latour-de-Carol!

Well it's a long time since I've been to Toulouse but I found Latour-de-Carole fascinating.

There are very few stations with three guages of track in, all in use.

It also seemed to have some kind of primitive signal box on one of the platforms, again in use.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Thanks for a fascinating write-up.

Well it's a long time since I've been to Toulouse but I found Latour-de-Carole fascinating.

There are very few stations with three guages of track in, all in use.

It also seemed to have some kind of primitive signal box on one of the platforms, again in use.
Latour-de-Carol is fascinating I agree, but it isn't four hours worth of fascinating... At least not in low season where even the restaurant next door to the station is closed!

AdamWW

Established Member
Latour-de-Carol is fascinating I agree, but it isn't four hours worth of fascinating... At least not in low season where even the restaurant next door to the station is closed!

No probably not.

But there is a later train from Barcelona so if catching the sleeper directly from Latour there is no need to spend four hours there.

(And in fact that train gets into Latour in time for the last day train to Toulouse, though I'm not sure I'd want to rely on making that connection).

nw1

Established Member
Not done this whole journey but have done the section from Barcelona to Ribes de Freser (to spend around two days walking in the mountains above there) and also used the mountain railway up to Nuria.

I did contemplate travelling down via Latour de Carol at one point but things didn't work out, and remember the Rodalies timetable being on an entirely separate site. At that time it was quite difficult to obtain it!

Interesting the train was full until Vic. I used it on a warm July morning (i.e. at a time of year when you'd expect trains to be much busier) and it wasn't especially busy at any point during the journey. There was some sort of engineering work going on though, I remember the train started at some random suburban station in the north of Barcelona which I had to reach by metro.

Interesting to see the winter photos. Quite a contrast to my experience; of my two trips to the Pyrenees (the other being much further west, near Lourdes) both were in the summer.

The other thing I remember on my train is some border policeman, wearing all-black (not typical police uniform) coming round checking passports north of Vic. I was initially sceptical (having heard stories of criminals doing that) but he did then produce ID.

Also, I didn't think it at the time, but looking at that photo the Rodalies trains have quite a "classic" look about them nowadays! Not sure what vintage they are but it's a bit similar to how, say, 150s almost have something of a "heritage" feel about them nowadays.

AdamWW

Established Member
Not done this whole journey but have done the section from Barcelona to Ribes de Freser (to spend around two days walking in the mountains above there) and also used the mountain railway up to Nuria.

I did contemplate travelling down via Latour de Carol at one point but things didn't work out, and remember the Rodalies timetable being on an entirely separate site. At that time it was quite difficult to obtain it!

Interesting the train was full until Vic. I used it on a warm July morning and it wasn't busy at any point during the journey. There was some sort of engineering work going on though, I remember the train started at some random suburban station in the north of Barcelona which I had to reach by metro.

Interesting to see the winter photos. Quite a contrast to my experience; of my two trips to the Pyrenees (the other being much further west, near Lourdes) both were in the summer.

The other thing I remember on my train is some border policeman, wearing all-black (not typical police uniform) coming round checking passports north of Vic. I was initially sceptical (having heard stories of scammers doing that) but he did then produce ID.

I did it this autumn (all the way to Latour). The scenery, much of which looked to me as if it could be in the UK, was something of a contrast to the walk I'd done a few days earlier on a former railway line turned into a foot/cycle path running through olive groves somewhat further south in Spain.

Without help from the Man in seat 61's excellent web site I don't think I would have ever found the timetable.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
No probably not.

But there is a later train from Barcelona so if catching the sleeper directly from Latour there is no need to spend four hours there.

(And in fact that train gets into Latour in time for the last day train to Toulouse, though I'm not sure I'd want to rely on making that connection).
Yeah, that's what I did when I did the trip, but was already booked on the sleeper from Latour. The OP had revised their plans due to the Portbou sleeper being cancelled so was on the earlier train to Latour. Given the choice of waiting four hours at Toulouse, I'd do the same.

AdamWW

Established Member
Yeah, that's what I did when I did the trip, but was already booked on the sleeper from Latour. The OP had revised their plans due to the Portbou sleeper being cancelled so was on the earlier train to Latour. Given the choice of waiting four hours at Toulouse, I'd do the same.

Yes I expect I would as well.

Getting the later train to Latour and relying on the (~ half hour I think) connection to the last day train is probably a bit iffy.

Though if you did miss the connection maybe the crew of the not-for-bikes sleeper would take pity on you and let you use it as far as Toulouse. Especially if it did actually have a bike bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.