• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Barcoded Tickets from Greater Anglia TVM's

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WAB

"I’m working with S&B and RDG to change the print specification to fit the ticket information and barcode onto a credit card size ticket (CCST) format so it could fit better in a wallet or purse. A trial would be needed to ensure we don’t create an issue for ticket gate providers with the ticket getting stuck in the standard orange magstripe ticket slot."

From the retail systems head for GA on Linkedin.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
"I’m working with S&B and RDG to change the print specification to fit the ticket information and barcode onto a credit card size ticket (CCST) format so it could fit better in a wallet or purse. A trial would be needed to ensure we don’t create an issue for ticket gate providers with the ticket getting stuck in the standard orange magstripe ticket slot."

Interesting. I don't see the larger format as an issue myself as it easily fits in the notes part of a wallet. And anyone who doesn't carry a wallet is going to be the same sort of person that will just buy an e-ticket on their phone.

Skie

THE EMR Cammax TVMs are eTicket/Smartcard only

Here’s the reverse of the ticket
Well thats bloody stupid.

Press release tells people to expect a barcode, but should say barcode (Aztec) and then they put a load of barcodes on the back of the damn thing.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I'm not sure putting a barcode on the reverse is the greatest idea. That will just confuse people at barriers.

Totally agree with that point, it seems a magnet for confusion.

Thats the TVM ticket remaining counter. Didn't seem to cause any problems to the customers in Cambridge last week.

Observation in the field is great, but I don't think that quite counts as comprehensive user testing.

Interesting. I don't see the larger format as an issue myself as it easily fits in the notes part of a wallet. And anyone who doesn't carry a wallet is going to be the same sort of person that will just buy an e-ticket on their phone.

Disagree. Plenty of people carry a card wallet or similar instead of a full-size wallet or purse.

talldave

Established Member
2. To some degree, but I'm not sure that black text on a plain white background is ever 'beautiful'. Functional, yes, but some rail-related background with a bit of colour would look better and more professional.
Very dark grey text on a light yellow background would increase readability for glaucoma sufferers, with no impact on perfectly sighted travellers.

blueberry11

How come Liverpool Street are out of the scope given it is a major station? (it is considered a Greater Anglia stationed, but is owned by Network Rail) It might have to do with the fact that TFL doesn't want to use scanners in their system so this is why journeys via through London do not allow tickets which have to be scanned. But it still gets me when they give me the option to sell barcode tickets to a gated station without these scanners (i.e. Stratford) as you have to be see staff to be let out.

This above info may also apply to Merseyrail.

There is also a thread from December 2016 which could have used the orange background at the top and bottom and shows the BR logo at post 21-22. I thought QR tickets started around early (~January to April) 2019

blueberry11

something like this?
Yes. I didn't think those traditional tickets CCST* with the barcode on the right. I also stated on my previous post that an example of what I should have looked like so that it has some colour.

*CCST - credit card sized ticket

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How come Liverpool Street are out of the scope given it is a major station? (it is considered a Greater Anglia stationed, but is owned by Network Rail) It might have to do with the fact that TFL doesn't want to use scanners in their system so this is why journeys via through London do not allow tickets which have to be scanned. But it still gets me when they give me the option to sell barcode tickets to a gated station without these scanners (i.e. Stratford) as you have to be see staff to be let out.

This above info may also apply to Merseyrail.

There is also a thread from December 2016 which could have used the orange background at the top and bottom and shows the BR logo at post 21-22. I thought bartickets started around early (~January to April) 2019

I was almost* sold a bog roll ticket on Merseyrail today (by an RPI) so when it suits them... :)

(Can't remember if it had a barcode on it or not though, it was in my hand for 5 seconds before I realised he'd made a mistake)

* Thread on why that was wrong to follow.

Chiltern006

Yes. I didn't think those traditional tickets CCST* with the barcode on the right. I also stated on my previous post that an example of what I should have looked like so that it has some colour.

*CCST - credit card sized ticket
i’ve only ever seen a CCST with a barcode once, the attachment being the example, it’s so much better than the receipt tickets (Bogroll) or the new ones shown by GA and EMR

Wallsendmag

Established Member
The LNER web postal orders are the last CCST that have barcodes on, it’s not a type six barcode as they dont fit . The type 11 barcodes can’t be read by anything. It’s all a little pointless

MikeWM

Established Member
I had no issues using this in the end, even up in Merseyside, though I was disappointed that there didn't seem to be any better logic at ticket barriers than when using a CCST - still got 'seek assistance' at Birmingham New Street and also Liverpool Lime Street for perfectly legitimate and obvious break-of-journeys, just as I have with a CCST for the same journey a number of times in the past.

I also note that the machines at Cambridge have stickers on them pointing out they may dispense one of these new tickets, but the machines at Ely still have no signage at all.

AY1975

Established Member
If anyone finds a ticket can they provide a scan.
And if anyone has photos of the Greater Anglia TVMs that issue paper e-tickets and the ones that still issue standard CCST tickets, can they provide photos of each type of TVM, please, so we know which one to use depending on our preferred format of ticket?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
And if anyone has photos of the Greater Anglia TVMs that issue paper e-tickets and the ones that still issue standard CCST tickets, can they provide photos of each type of TVM, please, so we know which one to use depending on our preferred format of ticket?

They’re the exact same TVM they have just changed the printer inside.

AY1975

Established Member
They’re the exact same TVM they have just changed the printer inside.
Does this mean that they will still automatically issue an old style CCST ticket if it's for a journey involving London Underground or Merseyrail, and otherwise they will issue a new style e-ticket?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Does this mean that they will still automatically issue an old style CCST ticket if it's for a journey involving London Underground or Merseyrail, and otherwise they will issue a new style e-ticket?
Yes, pretty much. Although I dare suggest that new style will be issued for MerseyRail (no evidence to back that, just gut instinct).

They’re standard Scheidt & Bachmann TVMs.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Yes, pretty much. Although I dare suggest that new style will be issued for MerseyRail (no evidence to back that, just gut instinct).

They’re standard Scheidt & Bachmann TVMs.
I‘m not too sure with these whether they’ve been designed in a way to incorporate both CCST and PRT @Wallsendmag will be able to say for sure.
However in Northern land the Worldline machines are CCST and E-Ticket (note not PRT)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
I‘m not too sure with these whether they’ve been designed in a way to incorporate both CCST and PRT
I believe where they’ve previously had two CCST printers per machine, they’ve now one of each.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I‘m not too sure with these whether they’ve been designed in a way to incorporate both CCST and PRT @Wallsendmag will be able to say for sure.
However in Northern land the Worldline machines are CCST and E-Ticket (note not PRT)
Yes and I’m sure you mean TPE land

I believe where they’ve previously had two CCST printers per machine, they’ve now one of each.
I don’t think any printers are removed

trainJam

When CCST is used, Birmingham New Street (Avanti) have an aztec code on CCST - I bought a London Zones 1-6 travelcard with one.