• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Battlefield Line: travel to

railfan99

Established Member
With only six staff according to its latest accounts filed with Companies House, the above preserved railway must rely largely on volunteers (it's not alone in that).

It can be difficult to keep website/Facebook/Instagram and other social media up to date.

It's another heritage railway on the list, and looks quite attractive. In October 2023 it was easy to use buses from Stoke-on-Trent to have a most enjoyable day at the Churnet Valley Railway, and similarly I used a bus for a short distance to travel between Skipton railway station and the terminus of the Embsay and Bolton Railway, the latter on quite a wet day.

Its website information on how to access by public transport is partially incorrect if my research is correct, as one of your County Councils said it no longer had the funding available to subsidise route 7.

It says, among others:

Public Transport . .​

Bus Routes-

There are several bus routes to the railway. They usually only operate weekdays and Saturdays.

Shackerstone Station
Measham to Fenny Drayton (via Atherstone Railway Station)
Operated by Roberts Travel Group, Service Number 7

Market Bosworth Station
Hinckley to Market Bosworth
Operated by Roberts Travel Group. Service Number 159

------------------------

Route 159 has ceased:

while route 7 is now operated by Stagecoach Midlands:

https://bustimes.org/services/7-fenny-drayton-measham

-----------------------

Eventually I may send the Shackerstone Railway people an email but if anyone is a volunteer or otherwise involved with The Battlefield Railway, contacting the correct individual and asking he or she to change the information when they have time would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peteb

At this moment Nuneaton to Shackerstone with Bolt (like Uber,) is £15 one way. I've found that the price varies according to demand and time of day. If there were 2 or more travelling that would split the cost. I must admit I've always driven though.

Russel

I do enjoy a visit to The Battlefield Line, it has a nice charm to it that a lot of preserved lines have lost, it has that early preservation era feel to it rather than the more commercial feel bigger lines like the SVR, NYMR etc have currently.

railfan99

Established Member
I do enjoy a visit to The Battlefield Line, it has a nice charm to it that a lot of preserved lines have lost, it has that early preservation era feel to it rather than the more commercial feel bigger lines like the SVR, NYMR etc have currently.

Perhaps reasonably similar to the Churnet Valley Railway that I enjoyed in September 2023.

Russel

Perhaps reasonably similar to the Churnet Valley Railway that I enjoyed in September 2023.

Possibly. The Midland Railway at Butterley also has a similar feel, not too commercial and take a sensible rather than overkill approach to health and safety.

duffield

Established Member
You can walk from Hinckley Station to Shenton Station via the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, then across the old railway bridge over the canal and along the disused trackbed at Ambion Wood. It's a pleasant 8 mile stroll, passing the Bosworth battlefield site just before Shenton. I arrived that way, and came back via the bus to Leicester; it made a nice day out.