• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bedford-Torquay Super Off-Peak Return restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi,

I'm trying to purchase a Bedford - Torquay Super Off-Peak return for a family member travelling to Torquay next weekend. The outward on the Friday is no issue, but I'm confused about the restrictions for the return (on Monday 7th).

I can't get booking websites to give me a reservation on the 11:38 Torquay-Paddington & 16:01 St Pancras to Bedford - it's not listed as an available option for the Super Off-Peak (though is for more expensive tickets). However, I can't see any afternoon restrictions listed for this ticket. (have also checked CI/CJ - again restrictions only for outward travel)

Any idea why the booking websites aren't allowing this? (Have tried EMT & GWR - so both main booking engines). If not, I'll book the ticket and reservations separately, just want to make sure the person travelling wont run into problems, as they're not clued up on rail ticketing.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarlowDonkey

However, I can't see any afternoon restrictions listed for this ticket. (have also checked CI/CJ - again restrictions only for outward travel)

I think this is the problem. It's right at the end of your link

Validity Codes CI/CJ apply to all journeys via London St Pancras International.

The validity code CI contains
RETURN TRAVEL

Not valid on trains timed to depart:

LONDON ST PANCRAS INTL after 04:29 and before 10:29 or
after 15:15 and until 18:59.

Perhaps you have to split the ticket in London or elsewhere, Reading perhaps, to evade this restriction. If you use London zone 1 instead of London Terminals for one of the legs, you get the Maltese Cross.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I've come across this before. I believe that the St Pancras restrictions were put in to stop people using HS1 in the peak on long distance off-peak tickets. They had the effect of also block EMT and Thameslink trains as well, since the station code is the same.

I passed a comment on to the data providers at the time, but never received an answer. It might be worth trying again.

jkdd77

Arguably, this restriction itself contravenes the Network Area rule:
Super Off-Peak tickets issued for journeys commencing within the Network Area to destinations outside the Network Area with travel via London are valid by any train to London to connect with trains from London.
Strictly speaking, the above only refers to trains to London, however.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've come across this before. I believe that the St Pancras restrictions were put in to stop people using HS1 in the peak on long distance off-peak tickets. They had the effect of also block EMT and Thameslink trains as well, since the station code is the same.

I passed a comment on to the data providers at the time, but never received an answer. It might be worth trying again.

On further investigation, it seems to give me an itinerary if I force it via Farringdon and then a direct train to Bedford - so either the system only blocks trains originating at STP or they fixed the data feed issue with TL but not EMT.

MichaelAMW

I think it's older than that and that EMT got a bit upset about having to put up with the general rule about network area tickets. (I'm not saying, by the way, that I don't believe what you're saying about HS1.) The same applies to long distance tickets via London, consisting of two "inter city" legs, where the general rule is that only the leg from origin to London is restricted: there are many flows involving EMT on the "from London" leg that are not available on all trains.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Good to know - thanks! Looks like I'm going to force the journey planner via Farringdon then to get an itinerary. (Though may suggest she tries EMT at St Pancras too anyway, as I think they tend to apply the Network Area rule for all long distance tickets IME)

gray1404

Established Member
If you could get a booking office to issue a seat reservation too for the EMT leg if may help.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Good to know - thanks! Looks like I'm going to force the journey planner via Farringdon then to get an itinerary. (Though may suggest she tries EMT at St Pancras too anyway, as I think they tend to apply the Network Area rule for all long distance tickets IME)
I have experience of being permitted to board EMT services at St Pancras during the evening peak with similar tickets that the OP refers to. The Gateline staff seemed familiar with the 'Network area' rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.