• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BEER and the cars that we drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

subway156

It is Saturday afternoon. I am sitting at my PC drinking beer. I have had 5 already. I am drinking Blue Moon, an American made Belgian White wheat ale. It is not sour and it is very desirable. I have type 2 diabetes and do not usually drink. But today, I had to drop off my motor at the garage. The water pump expired on my 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser. It has only 69,000 miles on it. It has a petrol 2.4 DOHC engine. This means the timing belt will have to be replaced in order to replace the water pump. 9 hours of shop labor plus the cost of parts. I am shattered! I am at a total loss. This is my second PT. My first was a 2002 and it was far superior to this POS. A POS is a Piece Of **** and I wish I had never bought the little *******. I am now driving my wife's ultra efficicent, execllent running 1.6 L I-4 Hyundai Accent. This car is in a medium metallic green. Many people may find it to be ugly. Right now to me, it is a Korean Cadillac. Cadillac being American for Standard of The World. BULL****! Cadillac is scrap. Oh, forgive me for embelleshing. It's the wonderful beer, you know? So, what is the purpose of writing this swill? Well, here it is. What do YOU drive? Are you able to live without a car? I am not. I live 90 miles west of New York City, the place of my birth. Here in Pennsylvania where public transit isn't even a joke, it's a bus to the mall. So, what I'm asking is, what do you people drive? Do you love your car? What color is it? Is it an automatic? (I doubt it) Would you please participate? After all, I have had several beers. What beer do you drink? You can laugh, I won't mind. :shock:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Here in my car, I can lock all my doors. It's the only way to live: in cars.

With apologies to Gary Numan :lol:

Kneedown

Established Member
Just got in after a 9 and half hour shift that turned into 10 and half hours, so just enjoying a Brains Boilermaker beer, matured in Penderyn whisky casks. I feel better already!
As regards cars, i couldnt live without my Land Rover, residing in an area prone to severe flooding. Last Christmas the road was closed (to ordinary cars) for two weeks. No problem for the Landy though!

NLC1072

As for a drink, has to be Sheppy's oak matured vintage (not quite a beer!), as for my cars I drive a Ford Galaxy 2.3 petrol 51 plate - 23mpg at best! :cry: and a Smart Roadster 54 plate with the sports package and get 55mpg. :D

subway156

I had enough. I am as I mentioned, diabetic. So my forays into drinikng beeres are limited. I was at home, not out anywhere and possibly only annoying some of you people. Oh darn. I have had Brooklyn beers and prefer Blue Moon always. And living here in the shadow of Philadelphia (65 miles to the south) and NYC, owning personal transport is a must. All of our passenger service ended for good in 1982 which merely connected us to Philly. A New York bound train hasn't run from here since 1960 when the Lehigh Valley RR and Jesrsey Central were the most popular routes. Street cars ended their usefulness in the early 50's. Buses smell like urine and have no real fresh air cirulating in them. All of this, in 2013.

Last edited:

martinsh

Established Member
I had enough. I am as I mentioned, diabetic. So my forays into drinikng beeres are limited. I was at home, not out anywhere and possibly only annoying some of you people. Oh darn. I have had Brooklyn beers and prefer Blue Moon always. And living here in the shadow of Philadelphia (65 miles to the south) and NYC, owning personal transport is a must. All of our passenger service ended for good in 1982 which merely connected us to Philly. A New York bound train hasn't run from here since 1960 when the Lehigh Valley RR and Jesrsey Central were the most popular routes. Street cars ended their usefulness in the early 50's. Buses smell like urine and have no real fresh air cirulating in them. All of this, in 2013.

Try not living in a third world country ....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just got in after a 9 and half hour shift that turned into 10 and half hours, so just enjoying a Brains Boilermaker beer, matured in Penderyn whisky casks. I feel better already!

I like Brain's Reverend James - but then again I am biased because Rev James Buckley was my great great great gransfather 1

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Blue Moon is lovely. If I buy it here, though, it's most likely made in Burton Upon Trent.

subway156

You'd have to be somewhat civilized to be a 3rd world country. Living here these days, I encounter cheaters, law-breakers and all sorts of morons. The national passtime is to see how many rules one can break. Speeding, zig-zagging, texting and general driving mayhem occurs daily. In-town driving is filled with cut-offs, drag races, red light runners and a total disregard for stop signs. I am 60 and learned to drive in 1969. Back then, there was something called Courtesy Of The Road and respect was accorded as a matter of fact. Texting is killing people here and all those who do so feel their "rights" would be violtaed if thet were hindered from doing so. It's doesn't matter in human life is hindered by an un-timely expiration due to blunt force trauma. I have no pretentions about being an American. Of course I love my country, I was born on Independence Day. You know, that day that we declared ourselves free of those pesky people taxing us and not representing us. Having said that, I will drink my beer in safety and laugh at myself as I get loaded. I hurt no one and get to taste some really good beer too.:neutral:

starrymarkb

Established Member
I tried a Blue Moon brew (Red something) and I was shocked that it tasted like beer despite being American!

I love a beer. I'm mainly an ale man but I do like a refreshing lager too.

Obviously being a Yorkie I love Black Sheep and all its variants. I was in a pub in Harrogate that had some superbly kept Bass and Fullers London Pride which was a real treat as the more common ales are sometimes kept badly.

I also like Old Hooky, Batemans XB and XXXB, Red Shield, White Shield, Leeds Best, Old Mill Porter, Old Mill Blonde, Bombardier, Nutty Black, Duechers IPA, Barnsley Gold to name but some.

After saying that, I'm currently drinking a bottle Perlenbacher from LIDL.

I drive a VW Golf

Trog

Established Member
You know, that day that we declared ourselves free of those pesky people taxing us and not representing us.

I believe the average Colonial American earned more than his stay at home equivalent. He then paid about one tenth of the tax, for which he got local representation. Which sounds fair enough to me.

Somewhat ironically one of the things the taxation in the Americas was being raised for was to pay for the recently ended Seven Years War. A war started when a Colonial Officer called George Washington (Yes that George Washington) ambushed French troops when there was not a war going on (although there soon was), then allowed his Native troops to murder the French troops captive leader.

As for beer Theakstons Old Peculiar for me thanks.

Last edited:

Heinz57

I drive a 1ltr Nissan Micra, 02 plate. Not a bad little car, I can fill the tank in £45, and have that last me a good month.
I've had it 3 years now (in October). Its finaly started to show its age a little, next year I was going to start saving for a new one, so towards the end of next year/begining of the year after I can think about buying.

As for beer, I'm not a drinker. Last time I had any alcohol was when I went on holiday to France last year, and that was only one bottle. It was something re-branded as Duff (I think it was San Miguel)

subway156

I knew someone who had a Micra and loved it.

About those pesky taxings, I always tell people that we are free in the States: Free ta pay. I live in pennsylvania, named for William Penn (one of your former citizens who was a Quaker thrown out of England because his family had doubts about his sanity) and the King at the time gave him gobs and gobs of land to expand the colonies. It is Latin for Penn's Woods. In the official listing of states' nicknames, Pennsylvania is The Keystone State because it was where the U.S. was formed, the place where our Consttution was created. (BTW, I live in Easton, the city where the Consttution was shared with the public for the first time.) But it is also known as The Land of Taxes. I do not know what your MOT consists of, I will find out, but in Pa. you have to pay for a test on your tailpipe exhaust even though the government mandates what that reading will be. I sort of doubling dipping that. Of course you must pay fees to license, fees to inspect and tes, fees for fuel (road tax). Now I know you will say that our petrol is so cheap. But the UK does not have 300,000,000 citizens like we do and the profit is so high that they could easily cut it in half. You guys have to tax higher on less people. Plus, there is no equity pricing on fuel. The rang right now is $3.40 to $5.15 out of 50 states. If the averaged it out, it would be a more fair way to do it. Now, it is based on state population and location. It's crazy. All I know is that I used to be able to get a case of beer, 24 12 ounce bottles for about 20 bucks. My brand is up to almosy 40. What's a man gotta do to get a break on some suds? The Presdient of Ford Motor just said that the U.S. will probably hit over 16 million units again next year. The production line for the Fusion (Mondeo) has been moved from Mexico to Detroit. They have added production capability and 1,400 jobs. Detroit is trying to avert claiming bankruptcy and this is a good sign. No, I have not had a drink and I am just in the mood to bang on the keys. besides. I enjoy hearing from you people.

subway156

Well, I guess that my lousy spelling and the content of my last entry must have ****ed off some people. Yikes! That wasn't the intent. Life is tough everywhere. I feel expenses sort of even out in "free" countries. But I realize the cost of many things in the UK are out of whack with other places. My family in Scotland reminds me of fuel costs regularly, but is not meant as a contest to see who has it easier than someone else. I have type 2 diabetes. The cost for medications, tesing supplies, needles and blood work hurts, but it has to be factored in to our income. Our free enterprise health system right now is governed by how much docotrs want to charge. Dentists are outrageous, and I have no insurance which makes it impossible to get maintenance care. Sorry. I am winding myself up again.

Clip

Established Member
Had a delightful time down teh craft beer co in brixton last night. Had some lovely IPAs on but for the life of me I cannot remember them.

If youre ever around london then check them out in Islington,Clerkenwell or Brixton. You wont be dissapointed

cjp

But it is also known as The Land of Taxes. I do not know what your MOT consists of, I will find out, but in Pa. you have to pay for a test on your tailpipe exhaust even though the government mandates what that reading will be. I sort of doubling dipping that. Of course you must pay fees to license, fees to inspect and tes, fees for fuel (road tax). Now I know you will say that our petrol is so cheap. But the UK does not have 300,000,000 citizens like we do and the profit is so high that they could easily cut it in half. You guys have to tax higher on less people. Plus, there is no equity pricing on fuel. No, I have not had a drink and I am just in the mood to bang on the keys. besides. I enjoy hearing from you people.
Sober now?

We pay more taxes as we provide more - compare our NHS free to all at the point of use with your USA's offering.

I guess we could pay less taxes as "Common folk" if the "uncommon guys" eg Google, Lords & Ladies and politicians did not work so assiduously at avoiding paying taxes to support the running of this country's services from which they reap benefits:(

subway156

What you said about those certain people who don't pay taxes, well, that's been accepted by your citizens throughout your history, right? Here, we have many rich people who probably spend more money through tax men and lawyers to keep from paying their fair share and that makes them happy because they feel they are getting away with something. The rest of the population must keep paying because someone has to float the country's government. It is all a crock of ****. I personally greatly admire what the United Kingdom does for it's inhabitants. I have NO medical insurance and it is difficult to manage because I have Type 2 Diabetes. Insulin and supplies are not cheap and I have to carry all those charges. People in America are under the false impression that the UK doesn't offer health care and if they do it isn't any good. Many people here are mis-informed, uneducated. They have no clue as to what's going on outside of a 50 mile radius of where they live. The news services here cover a few major headlines, then it's all about where they live. We hardly get any news about any of the other states. 50 of them and we hear about 2 or 3 in our area. This country is so huge, that people feel we are the best. The best at what? Size, in this case of a country, does not matter. So, I just want to move to Scotland with my wife as soon as possible. We know it can't happen quickly enough. It will bring us together with family and will get us out of a place that does not really care for or take care of it population.

Status
Not open for further replies.