• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Being Prosecuted by Govia ThamesLink Railway

amethyst16

Hi everyone, i’m in desperate need of some help! A few weeks or now month ago I got stopped at Blackfriars train station for my ticket which said it had a railway card and I didn’t have it on me (I believed it was at home) Ill be truthful that its silly that I don’t carry it with me but after having one for four years and never being asked for it as well as working inside an airport where they have rules about how much money you can bring in, I just always leave my purse at home.

However, I got home that day and couldn’t find my railway card (I had a physical one). I’ve always been pretty old fashioned for example still print flight tickets instead of digital ones. I really don’t know where it could have gone as I had seen it maybe in January when I done a long journey and took it with me that day. I don’t normally even apply railway card to tickets and didn't have it set up to my oyster as i’ve only recently learnt you could do that.

Now i’ve received a prosecution letter and i’m out of the country visiting family and feel super anxious about what to do or what to write back to them. All this as well and I have to send the letter the same night I get back because the expiry date is the next day.

As soon as I got home, i got myself a new railway card (digital one) so I can’t lose it again.

I honestly just feel so stressed out because I always pay my fares correctly and would never not have a railway card, i think they're amazing for the price.

I’m really sorry if any of this doesnt make sense, i’m really shaken up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Hi and welcome. It would help if you could upload the papers you have received.

Were you ggiven the option to send in proof of your railcard?

Unfortunately, if you couldn't produce your railcard then or later your ticket wasn't valid, but GTR will almost certainly agree to settle out of court if you engage with them as they request. There are plenty of threads on here which will give you a steer as to your reply - you could post a draft here.

You say you are abroad - if need be send them a holding reply.

amethyst16

Thank you for your reply! I was given the option to show proof of my railway card. I even asked my mum to send me a pic of it so I could get it over and done with quick and unfortunately she couldn’t find it and then when i got home i had a better look and couldn’t find it either.

Yes i’m abroad until the day before i’m supposed to send the letter, but that means rushing the letter a lot which I don’t want to do. I plan on calling them tomorrow when I find time.

What is a holding reply?

Hi and welcome. It would help if you could upload the papers you have received.

Were you ggiven the option to send in proof of your railcard?

Unfortunately, if you couldn't produce your railcard then or later your ticket wasn't valid, but GTR will almost certainly agree to settle out of court if you engage with them as they request. There are plenty of threads on here which will give you a steer as to your reply - you could post a draft here.

You say you are abroad - if need be send them a holding reply.
I’m trying to attach the picture of the letter I received but it isn’t letting me, ill try tomorrow morning. Thank you!

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
A holding reply would be you informing them that you are currently abroad and are unable to deal with the matter in the timescale requested. However, you will be able to deal with it timeously upon your return.

Basically, informing them of your situation and asking for more time to deal with it. The railway companies are generally pragmatic, and not dogmatic, in these matters and by proactively contacting them in regards to your situation they will generally agree to wait a bit longer.

In the meantime search out any payment records you may have regarding your missing railcard.

antharro

What is a holding reply?

"Hello,

Thank you for your email/letter/etc. I am currently unable to deal with this as I am out of the country until <date>. I assure you I will give this my utmost attention on my return and would ask that you please bear with me in the meantime.

Many thanks,
etc"

edit: beaten to it by @reb0118 :D

amethyst16

"Hello,

Thank you for your email/letter/etc. I am currently unable to deal with this as I am out of the country until <date>. I assure you I will give this my utmost attention on my return and would ask that you please bear with me in the meantime.

Many thanks,
etc"

Can I do this by calling them or do I have to send it in an email or something?

Thank you for your reply!

A holding reply would be you informing them that you are currently abroad and are unable to deal with the matter in the timescale requested. However, you will be able to deal with it timeously upon your return.

Basically, informing them of your situation and asking for more time to deal with it. The railway companies are generally pragmatic, and not dogmatic, in these matters and by proactively contacting them in regards to your situation they will generally agree to wait a bit longer.

In the meantime search out any payment records you may have regarding your missing railcard.
I’ve searched a lot of things, but unfortunately it wasn’t me who paid or bought the card and I tried looking for an email but my dad deletes his emails monthly ‍♀️

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I would email them, as you have proof it was sent, and hopefully of their response too.

amethyst16

Thank you! Yes this is a good Idea, its always good to have proof of conversation.

Does anyone know their email?

Thank you for your reply!

This is the letter, i was able to upload now!

Attachments

• 9876569e-9845-4b5a-b434-22f8bd6dd910.jpeg
    9876569e-9845-4b5a-b434-22f8bd6dd910.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 04d85f49-e52e-4226-ab38-c393efe3d22c.jpeg
    04d85f49-e52e-4226-ab38-c393efe3d22c.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 57

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
"Hello,

Many thanks,
etc"

One point to add: say when you expect to reply by. The railway won't be happy if you want to leave making a reply for everyone, so reassure them that they know when they will hear from you.

spyinthesky

Thank you for your reply! I was given the option to show proof of my railway card. I even asked my mum to send me a pic of it so I could get it over and done with quick and unfortunately she couldn’t find it and then when i got home i had a better look and couldn’t find it either
The bit in bold is confusing as you say you are abroad.
It would be wise to tell the forum the whole truth as the advice that is given can lead to your best possible outcome even if it is not the outcome you want or expect.

WesternLancer

Established Member
It would be wise to tell the forum the whole truth as the advice that is given can lead to your best possible outcome even if it is not the outcome you want or expect.
well, it's not beyond the realm of possibility the OP came home, looked, could not find Railcard, went away / abroad again. For some lines or work or study (where you may spend time at a 2nd address even in UK) this could be common pattern of behaviour.

Can I do this by calling them or do I have to send it in an email or something?
Do everything in writing.

The only reason to ring them would be to ask for an e-mail address for that team that you could e-mail them on.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Have you been buying tickets online? Have you any proof of purchase of your railcard? This has the potential to get very expensive and very inconvenient for you.

amethyst16

When it happened I wasnt abroad, but i’m abroad now that the letter has been received. My parents have sent me a picture of the letter and let me know that its there.

Have you been buying tickets online? Have you any proof of purchase of your railcard? This has the potential to get very expensive and very inconvenient for you.
No If i buy a ticket I normally buy it at the ticket machine.

WesternLancer

Established Member
When it happened I wasnt abroad, but i’m abroad now that the letter has been received. My parents have sent me a picture of the letter and let me know that its there.

No If i buy a ticket I normally buy it at the ticket machine.
just posted on another thread e-mail address for GTR / Thameslink prosecutions team:

[email protected]

Make it easy for them at all stages - so include all ref numbers, your postal address that matches what they have on record, your full name and as many contact details for you they might be able to use - e-mail address, phone number and postal address etc.

Last edited:

Stabilitas

Did you purchase the Railcard online and so have an account to prove the purchase (plus order a lost replacement) - or if purchased at a Station do you have the receipt from the application form? - do you know the expiry date and know it to still be valid? I presume if you use it regularly that you purchased a new one soon after the incident on the 18th February knowing you no longer had a valid one in your possession or tried to obtain a lost replacement?

No matter where the railcard was and for whatever reason it was there, without it on that journey you simply didn't have a valid ticket and it maybe worth acknowledging the error of your way in travelling without the railcard (and as such without a valid ticket) - apologise for the genuine error and offer to pay the full fare and show proof you replaced the railcard immediately after the incident?

Even when there is a genuine situation (and I'm not making any form of judgement honest) I suspect that every Revenue Inspector, Conductor, OBS etc; has heard every possible excuse and reason making this very difficult to defend without any form of proof

Just my thoughts...

amethyst16

Hello everyone! I wanted to give everyone a quick update. GTR have allowed me to settle out of court with a £63 fee.

I cant speak for any other train line but the people at GTR seem very genuine, helpful and kind. I called them explaining my situation, got a bit emotional as I was worried that me being out of the country and sending the letter response back to them late could be a problem. However, the woman who answered was very kind, said she would write down a note on my case of how I was abroad and to take my time.

In my letter I profusely apologised and asked to settle out of court and explained my mistake. 2 weeks later I received the letter saying they were happy to settle out of court with a penalty fee.

I would suggest if this happens to you (with GTR) do not panic too much (if it was a genuine mistake) as GTR doesn’t want to make your life difficult and seem very understanding!

Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

amethyst16

Did you purchase the Railcard online and so have an account to prove the purchase (plus order a lost replacement) - or if purchased at a Station do you have the receipt from the application form? - do you know the expiry date and know it to still be valid? I presume if you use it regularly that you purchased a new one soon after the incident on the 18th February knowing you no longer had a valid one in your possession or tried to obtain a lost replacement?

No matter where the railcard was and for whatever reason it was there, without it on that journey you simply didn't have a valid ticket and it maybe worth acknowledging the error of your way in travelling without the railcard (and as such without a valid ticket) - apologise for the genuine error and offer to pay the full fare and show proof you replaced the railcard immediately after the incident?

Even when there is a genuine situation (and I'm not making any form of judgement honest) I suspect that every Revenue Inspector, Conductor, OBS etc; has heard every possible excuse and reason making this very difficult to defend without any form of proof

Just my thoughts...
Hey! I understand, they must’ve heard it all and more and a lot of times people must lie to them. Thankfully, they saw that I was genuine and allowed me to settle out of court! I’ve purchased my railway card online now and going to keep a safe proof of purchase in case I somehow run into a situation like this again!

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hello everyone! I wanted to give everyone a quick update. GTR have allowed me to settle out of court with a £63 fee.

I cant speak for any other train line but the people at GTR seem very genuine, helpful and kind. I called them explaining my situation, got a bit emotional as I was worried that me being out of the country and sending the letter response back to them late could be a problem. However, the woman who answered was very kind, said she would write down a note on my case of how I was abroad and to take my time.

In my letter I profusely apologised and asked to settle out of court and explained my mistake. 2 weeks later I received the letter saying they were happy to settle out of court with a penalty fee.

I would suggest if this happens to you (with GTR) do not panic too much (if it was a genuine mistake) as GTR doesn’t want to make your life difficult and seem very understanding!

Thanks to everyone who helped me out!
Pleased to hear you have got a good result here. Thanks for update.

Stabilitas

Hey! I understand, they must’ve heard it all and more and a lot of times people must lie to them. Thankfully, they saw that I was genuine and allowed me to settle out of court! I’ve purchased my railway card online now and going to keep a safe proof of purchase in case I somehow run into a situation like this again!
Hey so glad you got it all resolved!! I suspect that this will make you check every time you travel now :D Anyhows glad you are sorted!