• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Being prosecuted: how might it affect my career prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawid

So, I was given a penalty fare notice back in March after I tapped in using my phone at Clapham but my phone had died before getting to Waterloo. I forgot to appeal the notice, which was within my right as I had actually tapped in, due to the fact I lost the penalty notice. Was later issued a greater fine which I was unable to pay due to having been made redundant and have now received a charge in the post asking me to plead either guilty or not guilty to:

Failure to hand over valid ticket not in a designated compulsory ticket area - railway bye-law; Contrary to byelaw 18(2) and 24 of the Railway Byelaws made under Section 219 of the Transport Act 2000 by the Strategic Railway Authority and confirmed under schedule 20 of the Transport Act 2000, as amended by Section 46 of the Railways Act 2005. I've looked online for information regarding this as I'm due to start work in the financial sector in a couple of weeks and would very much not like this to be taken to court or appear as a criminal conviction

I've emailed the prosecutions email for the railway company explaining this and provided a snapshot of a bank statement showing the maximum fare charge I incurred for not having tapped out for this particular journey and this also showed another tfl journey within a similar timeframe which I hope at least shows I pay for my travel regularly and pleaded to settle this out of court. Would anyone have any insight into what sort of reply to expect, potential cost to settle out of court and whether a not guilty plea would stand up in court providing I show evidence of initially tapping in and then being charged a maximum fare? Thanks in advance

Hi,

The same thing happened to me on the 21st of June 2018. I have the same options of pleading guilty or not pleading guilty and attending court. I have a BA Accountancy degree and a Master's degree in Finance and are currently applying for positions in the financial sector. If I plead guilty to this offence, will it affect my career prospects since I will have a criminal record?

Could you please tell me what you did in your case and or others who have experienced a similar problem.

Javid

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi,

The same thing happened to me on the 21st of June 2018. I have the same options of pleading guilty or not pleading guilty and attending court. I have a BA Accountancy degree and a Master's degree in Finance and are currently applying for positions in the financial sector. If I plead guilty to this offence, will it affect my career prospects since I will have a criminal record?

Could you please tell me what you did in your case and or others who have experienced a similar problem.

Javid
I think it would be best if you provided full details of what happened, which TOC was involved, what law you're being prosecuted under etc.

island

Veteran Member
Few employers would withdraw a job offer/terminate employment over a minor criminal matter such as a once-off fare evasion conviction.

They might do so if you lied about a conviction when asked and it was later found out.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It sounds like you are being prosecuted under the Railway Bylaws, in which case this is a non-recordable offence.

najaB

Veteran Member
If I plead guilty to this offence, will it affect my career prospects since I will have a criminal record?
Could you provide details of exactly what the summons is for? It will say something like "On <date> did enter a train without a valid ticket entitling you to travel." or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.