• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Belgium's Mechelen Rail bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasky

The Mechelen rail bypass is a Belgian line meant to relieve line 25 between Brussels and Antwerp. It was intended for high-speed (and other) trains like the Eurostar and Thalys to be able to travel 160km/h (still not that fast, but an improvement on 100km/h) past Mechelen and bypass a particularly congested piece of line.

Apparently it opened in 2020? Does anyone now whether this had any effect on Eurostar or Thalys paths or timings? Or anything else about it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

biko

I know little about it, but this summer and last year the Thalys services towards Brussels I was on all stopped on some very new track in Mechelen, so I assume it was the bypass. It didn't add (much) to the delays, so I don't think timings were changed.

tasky

Interesting - I wonder if there are more changes to come to the timings? I went past the new lines at Mechelen when they were under construction on an IC train a few times back 2018-19 sort of time.

The 160km/h speed limit seems curious for a new line planned to take high speed trains but I suppose that was with capacity and speed differential in mind?

gysev

This is not really a new line but just the construction of two additional tracks to increase the capacity of the station and to avoid conflicting movements from the new line 25N (the direct Mechelen - Airport link opened in 2012. The new junction for this line with the "old" line is now north of the station, it used to be on the south side. In fact, the real bypass is a new road!

dutchflyer

Established Member
Mechelen station has high and low level platforms. One of the low level is out of use.
It does not make much sense to raise the MAX speed for a few 100 mtrs-as both sides to Brussel and Antwerpen are on the old lines that would not allow any higher speed. In fact the travel time BR-Ant is since many years slower as it was in the 50ies/60ies-then it was an IC ev. 30 mns in 30 mins flat (with just 1 stop in M-since then all IC also serve suburban Berchem station in Antwerpen. Comparable to what in GB once was Lon-Brighton: on the hour, every hour, in an hour.
Mechelen is also still one of the main works/repairs for NMBS/SNCB. Remember once having visited an open day there.

tasky

I'm guessing the lower speed / lack of an express IC with limited stops is because of how congested the line is? Even at peak time there seems to be basically no expresses. In some ways it makes sense as this is most densely populated part of Europe.

Backroom_boy

Yes I was hoping this would knock a few minutes from the Amsterdam Eurostar but I think the an improvement to running to timetable is the realistic result.

DanielB

AFAIK the Amsterdam Eurostar will already become half an hour faster (towards London) due to it no longer carrying Amsterdam - Brussels passengers, which removed the need for a long stop in Brussels.

ashkeba

Established Member
The fast line would be to continue the faster Bxl-Mechelen line up the E19 until it could rejoin a rebuilt line 25A into Antwerp but it is not simple and I think few want to lose the green spaces now on the Antwerp end of former 25A. So 25N is probably as good as it gets for years.

tasky

The fast line would be to continue the faster Bxl-Mechelen line up the E19 until it could rejoin a rebuilt line 25A into Antwerp but it is not simple and I think few want to lose the green spaces now on the Antwerp end of former 25A. So 25N is probably as good as it gets for years.
Interesting, I just had a look at the route - I seem to remember the highway median was specifically built with a possible rail line down the middle in mind wasn't it?

MarcVD

This is a complex project that will need several more years to complete.

Mechelen station is made of two parts : upper part connecting to lines 25 and 25N, and lower part connecting to lines 27 and 53.
Upper part consisted of 2 direct tracks of line 25 plus two inner loop tracks used to park all stop trains.

What has been achieved so far is just the extension of line 25N into the station. Now the upper station contain only two tracks
for line 25N and two for line 25.

They are now busy demolishing the old station building, which also required to take one or two tracks off service.
Tracks will then be rebuilt one or two at a time, in order to preserve (barely) enough capacity to operate the station.

There will also be new divergence points between line 25 and 25N north of the station.

At the end of the project, Mechelen will have 12 tracks instead of 10. But we are still years away from that.

Ah yes, and the wide median on E19 abruptly ends somewhere midway between Mechelen and Antwerpen, so north of Mechelen
there is no real way to continue line 25N. It would require grabbing land in a largely built-up area, and make very complex arrangments
to connect it back to line 25 somewhere around Berchem. Not going to happen. The bridge build to escape from the E19 median south of
Mechelen does not leave any possibility to continue the tracks further north.

stuu

Established Member
Interesting, I just had a look at the route - I seem to remember the highway median was specifically built with a possible rail line down the middle in mind wasn't it?
It was built for express lanes which never happened, and then some of it was used for the railway

Status
Not open for further replies.