• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Berkhampstead

KT550

Although Berkhamsted is spelt incorrectly as Berkhampstead a number of times on this forum, I was distressed to see it spelt as Berkhampstead on the West Midlands Trains 730/0s on the PIS screens today.

I can't get the photo to upload from my phone but if I work out how I'll add it later.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita

Although Berkhamsted is spelt incorrectly as Berkhampstead a number of times on this forum, I was distressed to see it spelt as Berkhampstead on the West Midlands Trains 730/0s on the PIS screens today.

I can't get the photo to upload from my phone but if I work out how I'll add it later.
Did they spell the next one up the line (Hemel Hempstead) correctly? ;)

Nippy

I messaged LNR a few weeks about it. They‘re aware of the issue and working on a fix. May just as well put Berko on there……

KT550

Distressed? Really? Groan.
More distressed than amused.
It is very poor for official signage.

I'd have thought they could just copy and paste their destination list in this day and age.

I messaged LNR a few weeks about it. They‘re aware of the issue and working on a fix. May just as well put Berko on there……
Well done. Saves me doing it!

Last edited:

Thames99

Ed Reardon would be shocked. Mind you as he normally travels in the toilets to avoid buying tickets he may not see the PIS screens very much.

AJDesiro

The real question is, how could this have even happened? I'd have thought in this day and age that a PIS would be able to fetch information regarding calling patterns from an NR data feed, giving the actual name of the station in the process. A rather poor show.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

There's a few things wrong with the 730 displays - another example is having a small area of text scroll "Carriage N" when it'd fit to put it full length, I suspect this was because they changed it from "coach" or the little coach pictogram without changing the length.

contrex

Distressed? Really? Groan.
Some of us do get (irrationally?) annoyed about those Ps that intrude into 'Plumpstead', 'Sampson (and Delilah)' etc. If it's any consolation, I (a South Londoner) did once have to ask someone from Boreham Wood (yes, two words) how to pronounce 'Bengeo' (I thought it had a 'g' like 'bingo'). I had seen the name showing as the destination in a photo of a London Transport country bus.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
I'd have thought they could just copy and paste their destination list in this day and age.
Indeed, it's not like between NR and WMR there aren't enough systems with the correct name that could export a list. Distressed may be pushing it but it's also something that really draws attention to a company as not taking care of the rough edges.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Indeed, it's not like between NR and WMR there aren't enough systems with the correct name that could export a list. Distressed may be pushing it but it's also something that really draws attention to a company as not taking care of the rough edges.
but, in honesty, if you put that list in front of me I doubt I would have picked it up and I have travelled through that station at least a billion times!

12LDA28C

Established Member

I assume they're just using the historical spelling from a century ago, which is of course entirely correct.

exbrel

a bit of a drift but this made me laugh as it reminded me of Harry H. Corbett in "the Bargee", he said his mother named him after "Hemel" Hampstead where their barge was when he was born, his mate said your lucky it was not "Berk"hamsted

Established Member
They can spell it wrong all they like, as long as they don't start using the same horrific autoannouncers as TFW or Northern.

SAND BACK! (the next stop will be... . . . . . . . . Hormz Chapple"

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They can spell it wrong all they like, as long as they don't start using the same horrific autoannouncers as TFW or Northern.

SAND BACK! (the next stop will be... . . . . . . . . Hormz Chapple"

I quite like the use of regional announcers, it adds personality, though I do think the Victoria Wood esque professional voice artist Northern used before was better than the random guard (I think that's who it is) they've had do it since.

Established Member
I quite like the use of regional announcers, it adds personality
Disagree. No-one locally talks like that, the accent is from 50 miles away. Sounds exaggerated, somewhat like Compo.

mike57

Established Member
I agree. Went on Northern the other day and it does work
I am still waiting for them to announce it as 'Ull, which is how all the locals pronounce it (including my wife who is from Hull). Thats where the joke came from, Q: How many letters in the 'Ull alphabet? A: 21, ET went home, B&Q burnt down (referencing a huge fire in the mid 90s) and theres no H in Hull.

Last edited:

Established Member
you're suggesting that the accent should change every 20 miles
I'm suggesting pick someone with a neutral, understandable, mildly northern accent like Phil Sayer (rip). They could remaster the old ones, and AI the missing ones he didn't do.

Imagine if we forced Yorkshire people to listen to a clearly far superior Lancastrian accent? There'd be toys and Yorkshire puds thrown out of that pram.

Right, time to depart. Sand Back behind the line!

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
I'm suggesting pick someone with a neutral, understandable, mildly northern accent like Phil Sayer (rip). They could remaster the old ones, and AI the missing ones he didn't do.

Imagine if we forced Yorkshire people to listen to a clearly far superior Lancastrian accent? There'd be toys and Yorkshire puds thrown out of that pram.

Right, time to depart. Sand Back behind the line!
Does it really matter? What's your opinion in guards' announcements, should they all adopt the exact same accent? Honestly the things people worry about...

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
announcements made on trains and stations should be delivered in an unintelligible regional accent at all times!

At Platform 14 at Manchester Piccadilly, it's mandatory to say "Gathurstappleybridgeparboldhoscarburscoughbridgenewlanebescarlanemeolscopansouthport" as if it was one station, breathing not permitted! (Ah, memories :) )

DarloRich

Veteran Member
At Platform 14 at Manchester Piccadilly, it's mandatory to say "Gathurstappleybridgeparboldhoscarburscoughbridgenewlanebescarlanemeolscopansouthport" as if it was one station, breathing not permitted! (Ah, memories :) )
Darlington was always:

Redcacenralredcaestlongbeckmaskandsaltbun

Bantamzen

Established Member
announcements made on trains and stations should be delivered in an unintelligible regional accent at all times!
I'll go one step further, AI should be used to determine the local accent of the punters, then deliver all messages in something completely different to annoy them, whilst also starting a thread here for them to complain in....