• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Berths on Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

beniamino

We (2 adults, a 5 year old and a 3 year old) are thinking of taking the Caledonian Sleeper from London to Inverness. We thought we might be able to get a single cabin with 2 berths, and share them (1 adult and 1 child in each berth). We're fairly used to sharing with the kids, but: (a) is this allowed? and (b) are the berths big enough? We've shared berths on ferries before without any trouble, but if the sleeper berths are really tiny we might struggle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure about that! I doubt it would be considered viable. A better solution may be to obtain two inter-connecting cabins?

dmncf

When my daughter was only a couple of months old she shared a berth with my wife, but when she was six months old she was already getting too big to share with my wife. So unless your 3 year old and one of the adults are both particularly small, I think you'll find it too tight. One child could physically sleep on the floor, although I don't know whether that would be allowed or not. I hope I'm right in saying that a 5 year old would need a child ticket, so Scotrail could question having three ticket holders in one cabin.

Sleepy

Established Member
Did Cornish Sleeper many years ago with 4 year old - my wife did not get much sleep !! Would recommend seperate berths if possible.

amcluesent

Madness! Those berths are tiny and it won't be too clever if anyone falls out the top one onto their head. Go for connected cabins.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotraildriver

Established Member
The beds themselves are not tiny but 4 in a cabin will be very tight. As suggested get 2 interconnected.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Agree; the connected cabins are the only way to go for this trip.

For travelling with one baby / toddler you would be able to set up a pushchair in the cabin* to do 2+1, but certainly not anything involving two much bigger kids!

*We did this a couple of times when our daughter was a toddler, once on the Glasgow and once on the Penzance.

When my brother and I were that sort of age (1970s, so in the old Mk 1 sleeping cars, which I think didn't have interconnecting doors) we used to go one at each end of a lower berth, with our mother in the upper one and our father sharing the neighbouring compartment with someone else.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Book through ScotRail telesales & request two interconnected cabins; or you can book online and the interconnected cabins are berths 1-4/5-8/9-12/13-16/17-20/21-24.

Be3G

Established Member
I certainly couldn't imagine sharing a bed on the sleeper with anyone, no matter how small. The beds are a nice length but they are quite narrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.