• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Electric Loco Sound

What is your favourite electric loco sound?

• Class 73

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Class 81

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Class 82

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Class 83

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Class 84

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Class 85

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Class 86

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Class 87

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Class 89

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Class 90

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Class 91

Votes: 40 36.4%
  • Class 92

Votes: 12 10.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
73 for me. Miss my days bashing Gatwick Express wifh the unmistakable while from their EE546 motors shared only with the REPs

Your last chance to enjoy English Electric motors thrashing now the 442s have gone lie with the 455/8 and 455/9 (although 317-322 use a GEC derived but similar motor) but not for long as they are going in for AC retractioning

D365

Veteran Member
You ain't heard nothing yet... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNt5jL7ukDk

...that's unique and unmistakable!!

If you think that's something, how about this:

[youtube]iMYqWHnE9ww[/youtube]

Your last chance to enjoy English Electric motors thrashing now the 442s have gone lie with the 455/8 and 455/9 (although 317-322 use a GEC derived but similar motor) but not for long as they are going in for AC retractioning

There's still the Southern units which aren't being done.

Last edited:

vtiman

Whirlwind Gdn City and Windermere sometimes. Previ
I walk my dog on a lane parallel to the ECML most nights and sometimes afternoons as an excuse to latterly spot 387s.

Sometimes I hear the trains before I see them. Apart from rare steam engines the most recognisable and exciting still after 40 years are our wonderful HSTs. The Class 91 electrics are distinctive too especially leading northbound. They sound pretty good with a more muted sound of power. With EMUs the Class 365s have their own sound. All electrics seem to flashover if that is the right word, by where I walk and even made my dog jump !

I also can tell if the diesel approaching is a Class 180. A few months ago I heard the RHTT consist and immediately though : Ah a diesel
Loco !

vtiman

Whirlwind Gdn City and Windermere sometimes. Previ
Arcing then. Can you advise me of the correct term for this i.e. Flashing when I guess there is a poor connection between the OLE and the Pan or the third rail and connector shoes. Happens quite often on the Underground too, usually over points. Also, I seem to remember a story a few years ago that there were children's swings right by the WCML in Harlesden I think and there was arcing occurring between I think electric locos probably 87s. May just have been one of those stories !

Also, a friend who commutes to Moorgate said she notices this too or hears it. She said that the train lights always go off at Drayton Park and I said I thought it was possibly because that is where the AC DC switchover took place.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Arcing then. Can you advise me of the correct term for this i.e. Flashing when I guess there is a poor connection between the OLE and the Pan or the third rail and connector shoes. Happens quite often on the Underground too, usually over points. Also, I seem to remember a story a few years ago that there were children's swings right by the WCML in Harlesden I think and there was arcing occurring between I think electric locos probably 87s. May just have been one of those stories !

Arcing is the term, it doesn't even have to be a poor interface, but tends to happen when a large current is being drawn.

As for the 'story', 100% an urban myth.

Also, a friend who commutes to Moorgate said she notices this too or hears it. She said that the train lights always go off at Drayton Park and I said I thought it was possibly because that is where the AC DC switchover took place.

It's related, yes.

TimboM

Established Member
Went for the flying badger, surprised I'm the only one that has so far (though there was a post in the 230 thread that looked like it should've been here!).

Not many people will know what it sounds like I guess!

Clansman

Established Member
Voted for the 92s. The only locomotive I could ever hear right from my berth, travelling on the Sleeper, despite being in the second coach!

Silver Cobra

Class 91 all the way for me ;) Always enjoy listening to them as they arrive at and depart from Stevenage on the Kings Cross-Leeds services.

Strathclyder

Established Member
The 86s/87s get my vote, closely followed by (in order) the 91s, 92s & 81s-85s.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
If you think that's something, how about this:

[youtube]iMYqWHnE9ww[/youtube]

About on a par with a Trabant for acceleration :D

How about the Lok 2000? (Re460)

Or some of the older Swiss electrics?

RichJF

Can we put class 88 up there? Watched a few clips of it on UK rails & the sound is amazing (subjective).

Status
Not open for further replies.