• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best loco engine sound

Best engine sound

• Class 20

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Class 31

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Class 37

Votes: 45 24.6%
  • Class 40

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Class 47

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Class 50

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Class 56

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Class 57/0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Class 57/3

• Class 59

• Class 60

• Class 66 (Earliest model)

• Class 66 (latest model)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Class 67

• Class 68

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • Class 70

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Class 73 (origial)

• Class 73 (MTU/Cummins)

• Deltic

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • HST (Valenta)

Votes: 35 19.1%
  • HST (VP185)

• HST (MTU)

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Here's a blast from the past. 20007 entering Barrow Hill shed in the summer of 1978. It was one of my earliest attempts at bunking a shed and we were rewarded with a fantastic racket as it entered the roundhouse. Not to mention pairs of other class 20's whistling away to themselves in the shed yard. Memories!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8A Rail

Established Member
Having been brought up on English Electric, then its the Class 40's without doubt, followed by Class 20's, then the Class 37's.

A shame no "Warships" (Class 43 / D800 class) are mainline registered because their sound especially when wound up is just something else and that is coming from a non Great Western fan.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I'm rather biased towards English Electric locos versus Brush locos, you don't get the same kind of thrash from a Class 47 on a gradient than that of a Class 37, even better on greasy or wet rails.

Johnnie2Sheds

So we are basically saying any old diesel locomotive powered by a naval gun boat or submarine engine is best ;)

A GERMAN naval gun boat if you please :D

I've got to confess to loving a nice big pair of choppers though (no sniggering at the back)

ac6000cw

Established Member
It's interesting that cl. 68 and Deltic are neck-and-neck in the poll (but then they share some similarities in the noise they produce).

While the small Sulzers are great (cl. 24-27 and 33), I've never been a big fan of the 12LDA engines (cl. 44-47) - too much turbo noise and not enough 'bark' for my liking. The EE diesels are much better, although I'd have a hard time choosing a favourite between 37, 40 and 50...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's interesting that cl. 68 and Deltic are neck-and-neck in the poll (but then they share some similarities in the noise they produce).

I have found that if you stand in the right place relative to a 68, namely a couple of feet away from one corner of the locomotive, you can even experience the stomach vibes off it although unfortunately not as strong as those caused by standing alongside the middle of a 55.

ac6000cw

Established Member
I have found that if you stand in the right place relative to a 68, namely a couple of feet away from one corner of the locomotive, you can even experience the stomach vibes off it although unfortunately not as strong as those caused by standing alongside the middle of a 55.

That definitely puts you in the ranks of the true diesel aficionado ;)

matacaster

On Moderation
A Bulleid [i before e, except after Oliver Vaughan Snell] didn't need damp rails or leaves, they would slip on sandpaper in the desert. :D

Its a shame that none of us were able to listen to Mr Webbs compounds of which some at least had unconnected pairs of driving wheels. It is said they didn't start well or indeed sometimes at all!

ac6000cw

Established Member
Only certain diesels I'm afraid - I am in fact a great proponent of electrification...

Perhaps 'connoisseur' would have been a better description. Like you, I support electrification (where it makes economic and operational sense), but diesel music is more appealing to my enthusiast side than traction motor blower noise :) (although the inverter 'music' of the OBB 1016 'Taurus' locos is something else...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.