• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best part of Merseyrail network to ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tram21

Hi everyone,

I'm in Liverpool for a couple of days this week to visit some attractions etc, but also hoping to ride both the 507/8s before they go, and the new 777s. Where are the best places to go to have the best chance to ride both, and what are your favourite parts of the network (for whatever reason!)

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parjon

West Kirby and New Brighton lines. Nice and sunny tomorrow, could ride each line and walk between them. Take a beach towel.

Other than the Kirkby or Hunts Cross lines they're all reasonable in terms of things to see from the train and slightly longer runs between stations.

Liverpool 507

If you want faster runs on them, best to ride the Southport and Chester lines for that and there is more time between stations.

prod_pep

Established Member
I'd say the Southport - Hunts Cross line is the best by a distance but generally anything but the Chester/Ellesmere Port lines. Not much to see on these and not particularly fast running until after Hooton on the Chester line; station spacing is very close on this section. Always ne'er-do-wells on the train between Hooton and Ellesmere Port I find. The West Kirby line is arguably the most interesting of the Wirral branches.

The Kirkby line is actually a great little branch with quick running and some decent views beyond Fazakerley. However, 507/8s aren't commonly seen here nor on the Ormskirk line these days.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Agree with all of the above but I equally love the underground section around Hamilton Square/the central zones, proper gritty Mersey feel underground!

L401CJF

Established Member
Agree with all of the above but I equally love the underground section around Hamilton Square/the central zones, proper gritty Mersey feel underground!
I agree! Personally I like riding all of the lines - plenty of stops so lots of clunk clunk ding ding etc :lol:

The underground sections are great and personally one of my favourite sections but not good if youre after speed. I like to open the window (on the 50X fleet) for the deafening sound effects around the loop and its always fun if you get a good driver who gives a good run up the hill into James Street platform 1 and throws the brake in last minute. (Sadly seems to less common for a flying run into James St these days!)

It really is dependent on what you're wanting rides for. If you're wanting to tick off rides on as many different units as possible you want to focus around the City Centre for short hops and high frequency.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
If you like walking old railway lines with nice views I'd suggest taking the train to West Kirby, walking the Wirral Way to Heswall (around 9 miles) then getting the train back to Liverpool with a change at Bidston.

jamesst

If you like walking old railway lines with nice views I'd suggest taking the train to West Kirby, walking the Wirral Way to Heswall (around 9 miles) then getting the train back to Liverpool with a change at Bidston.
To be fair with the state of the Bidston/Wrexham line at the moment id just walk from West Kirby to Hooton, stations at each end

Djgr

Established Member
Obviously it depends on what you enjoy.

I always like the Northern line dive underground into Moorfields and coming out again at Brunswick.

And of course you can't miss the Wirral line underground stations, with lifts or very long and steep stairwells at James Street and Hamilton Square.

It helps if you like river and sea views and there are plenty to be add. I am sure you won't be sunbathing but there are plenty of stations five minutes from the beach e.g. Wallasey Grove Road, New Brighton, Hoylake, West Kirby and on the Southport line.

Finally consider some circular routes e.g. Liverpool-Bidston-Shotton-Chester-Liverpool, Liverpool-Southport-Burscough-Ormskirk-Liverpool.

8A Rail

Established Member
The lines I find most interesting are Bidston to West Kirby and Birkenhead North to New Brighton, not just for the ride but some of the Art Deco (1930) Stations you pass too. Likewise the original terminus buildings at West Kirby and New Brighton are interesting. The other line that is also interesting again from the station point of view is from Central to Hunts Cross were you encounter the 'modern day' versions of Brunswick and Liverpool South Parkway but against the backdrop of the former CLC stations at St Michaels, Aigburth and Cressington.

urbophile

Established Member
The lines I find most interesting are Bidston to West Kirby and Birkenhead North to New Brighton, not just for the ride but some of the Art Deco (1930) Stations you pass too. Likewise the original terminus buildings at West Kirby and New Brighton are interesting. The other line that is also interesting again from the station point of view is from Central to Hunts Cross were you encounter the 'modern day' versions of Brunswick and Liverpool South Parkway but against the backdrop of the former CLC stations at St Michaels, Aigburth and Cressington.
Yes if you are interested in station architecture I endorse the above. Particularly noteworthy are the modern (2000 or just before) sub-surface station at Conway Park; the simple but clearly Holden-inspired brick boxes after Bidston on the West Kirby line, especially the more showy Hoylake (a mini Arnos Grove). West Kirby station itself is now leased to retail businesses but from the street it looks the part. New Brighton has an impressive booking hall. The Southport line has a mixture of views (industrial/docklands; suburbia; open, and very flat, countryside); stations generally 'meh' apart from Birkdale. On the Hunts Cross line look out particularly for St Michael's - a decent Victorian building on the over bridge, with two very new lift towers which should win an award for architectural good manners. Cressington is a magnificent Victorian listed building (if in need of a lick of paint); the original Hunts Cross is similar but now a pub, and replaced by a less worthy (and less likely to be mistaken for Holden) brick box. As are many of the stations built in the 1970s or 80s (Aintree is particularly dismal given its importance for tourists).

cjbirkett

Southport line is my fave. Inner city, coast and countryside with some fast running at the top end too. You may get a light aircraft landing at RAF Woodvale right by the side if the track if lucky. Also if there's an exercise on you sometimes get helicopters around Hightown (3 chinooks seen in July!) There's still bits of jointed track too, most notably Formby-Hightown-Hall Road southbound.

Red Squirrels about a 10 minute walk from Freshfield, the metal men on the beach at Crosby, again about 10 minutes walk away from the station.after Sandhills southbound I always enjoy playing "spot st John's tower/Anglican Cathedral/The Wigwam" a game my Grandma started off when I was a child.

If ultra lucky you may see a freight train running to/from the docks on the short space of parallel line between Oriel Road and Bank Hall.

Sandhills a good place to see everything on the Northern, Hamilton Square for the Wirral. Make sure to go past Kirkdale depot (Ormskirk/Kirkby) or Birkenhead North (West Kirby/New Brighton) to see what's hanging about. WK, NB and Rock Ferry may have stuff in the sidings. Also Southport sidings has quite a few units in attendance duringbthe day but have binoculars with you if you don't want to walk round to the bridge. They start strengthening southbound trains from Southport from about 3-3.30 so if you want to see some shunts and trains joining up with each other be there around then. Similarly the other way round after the morning peak about 9.30. It's the only place you'll see that happening on the network unless under special circumstances

I like the creepy ambience of Green Lane (complete with "Do not alight here" signs before the platform begins that used to face you in the very back of a 6 car set BY AN OPEN DOOR!) Hightown Station nice and peaceful. Check out the ultra thin platform section at Cressington too. You can see parts of the historic lever brothers workers village between Bebington and Port Sunlight. Several golf courses near the line on the way to both West Kirby and Southport too. If you see a 507/8 on the Kirkby line DROP EVERYTHING AND CATCH IT they will be physically barred from getting past Fazakerley after Headbolt Lane opens.

Try the new trains with an open mind. When they actually work they are perfectly acceptable trains - I certainly find them a much nicer environment than Northerns woeful 195/331 offerings but that's just a personal opinion. If they last even half as long as the old guard they'll build up a following in time. The stars of the show are the 507/8s obviously though. 508s more endangered than the 7s (and they still go ticka-ticka-ticka like the older emus!, the 7s actually have newer compressors so don't) So grab as many as you can. I've spent my entire life travelling on them, they were introduced the year before I was born so they run through my veins and the thoughts of them not being there any more still induces panic if I think about it too much! Please be aware though, the seating/window alignment is woeful!! (Didn't matter as much with the old low back seats but they're high back ones now)

For the extra nerdy element if you get off the Wirral line at Liverpool Central check out the OUT OF DATE network map on the up escalator. It's pre Liverpool South Parkway/Maghull North but post Brunswick.

That's just bits I can think of. There will be lots more, it's a really interesting network to ride around on with friendly staff too. Hope you'll enjoy your time in the area. (And whilst above ground check out the waterfront near Albert Dock, on a sunny day its a really glorious place to be)

Best wishes

Last edited:

6Gman

Established Member
Around Formby/Freshfield look closely on or around the trees and you might see a Red Squirrel - one of the very few places in England you can see one from a train!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Always ne'er-do-wells on the train between Hooton and Ellesmere Port I find.

You must be very unlucky then as I use the line regularly and seldom see any problems. But there isn't much scenery and the 777s aren't due for some months.

Some of the best views of the river are actually on the Northern Line in the Sandhills area where you can also see Everton's new stadium taking shape.

TheSel

Well worth spending a few minutes on platform 3 at James Street. Please find attached a few pics I've taken of the disused (except in emergency) Platform 2.

Attachments

• Liverpool James Street (2).jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 17
  • Liverpool James Street (3).jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
  • Liverpool James Street (4).jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12
  • Liverpool James Street.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12

frodshamfella

Established Member
You could get off at Cressington which is quite a nice station, and walk past the large houses in that area, which leads.you down some villas overlooking the river.

urbophile

Established Member
You could get off at Cressington which is quite a nice station, and walk past the large houses in that area, which leads.you down some villas overlooking the river.
Dead posh dey are. If you turn left and left again outside the station, and left again when you get to the river, then fourth left, you'll have done the circuit of Toffsville. Fascinating architecture from the early 19th century to the present, with just a few naff interlopers.

Status
Not open for further replies.