• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best railhead for Twickenham on a matchday

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
Me and my Dad are attending the Summer Series England v Wales match at Twickenham Stadium on August 12th. We were planning to catch the train all the way from Poole, however it appears that there will be industrial action that day and my Dad is concerned we might get stranded. He is now suggesting we drive all the way, but I’m concerned that there might not be any parking available near the stadium. I have suggested railheading to a station on the Waterloo to Reading Line and getting a train to Twickenham from there, which my Dad is comfortable with doing. It’s just a case of which station is best in terms of access, parking and last train back.

On first impressions, Staines or Egham look good since they are right off the M25, although parking is limited with only 32 and 54 spaces respectively. I am expecting plenty of match goers will have the same idea as us, so would be grateful if anybody on here can suggest any better places to park and ride to the stadium.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Unless you've pre-booked car parking you won't park anywhere near Twickenham on a match day. Full scale events can only be held at Twickenham if there is a full rail service operating.

I wouldn't count on being able to park at the station bit you should be able to get parking in the town centre at somewhere like Staines. Perhaps someone more local can comment.

Snow1964

Established Member
Ashford (Surrey) is very easy, lots of easy on street parking at Clarendon Road and adjacent side streets. Use Jct 13 on M25 (A30 Staines)

New Malden is always easy to park, (Alric Ave or Dukes Ave areas away from station) just off A3. The service around Kingston loop is only half hourly. One of the nowadays rare stations where on street parking is available 7 days a week within about 600metres

If coming up M3 from Dorset, then can take A316 to Hanwell and A305, there is usually on street weekend parking in side roads between Fifth Cross Road and Sixth Cross Road. Around 20-30 minute walk to Stadium. Then walk along Meadway then A316 (that bit has the old 10 foot wide 1930s segregated cycle paths alongside). There might be some streets bit nearer but Twickenham generally has Mon-Sat permit only parking. Some areas have Rugby days permit only parking. Don't expect to be able to find anywhere within about mile and quarter of stadium.

PTR 444

Established Member
Some good ideas, although they might be a bit close for comfort and involve driving through more of Greater London which isn’t ideal. I’ve done a little bit more research since my opening post and it appears there is ample parking (200+ spaces) at Ascot and Sunningdale stations. Also easily accessible from the M3 and served by most Waterloo - Twickenham - Reading trains.

Last edited:

On Moderation
Some good ideas, although they might be a bit close for comfort and involve driving through more of Greater London which isn’t ideal. I’ve done a little bit more research since my opening post and it appears there is ample parking (200+ spaces) at Ascot and Sunningdale stations. Also easily accessible from the M3 and served by most Waterloo - Twickenham - Reading trains.
Note that for events at Twickenham, Reading-Waterloo trains are usually very full with people coming from the "country end" - it is both a useful connectioon at Reading and also generates traffic from intermediate stops. I wouldn't guarantee that there is parking available at the intermediate stops.

Lampshade

Established Member
Personally I’d park in Two Rivers shopping centre in Staines then walk up to the station, £12 parking for the day and only a 15 min walk to the station.

wireforever

When I went years ago I drove to Reading from North West and caught the train I remember walking up to the ground and local residents were offering car parking on driveways and bbq's !

PTR 444

Established Member
Note that for events at Twickenham, Reading-Waterloo trains are usually very full with people coming from the "country end" - it is both a useful connectioon at Reading and also generates traffic from intermediate stops. I wouldn't guarantee that there is parking available at the intermediate stops.
You might be right. On further inspection it appears that the Shergar Cup is taking place at Ascot on the exact same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.