• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Biggest SP differential (SP -- higher speeds allowed for Sprinters and the like)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Probably lots that aren't specifically signed and are instructions in the sectional appendix. Good few on the Cambrian, 30/130kmh near Westbury, 15/90kmh at Caersws, a few 15/95kmh at Dovey

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Paddock viaduct just outside Huddersfield on the line to Sheffield is 10/MU 55 if I'm remembering right- I might be out slightly on the MU speed but can't go and check for now!

High Dyke

Established Member
Paddock viaduct just outside Huddersfield on the line to Sheffield is 10/MU 55 if I'm remembering right- I might be out slightly on the MU speed but can't go and check for now!
Not far out with the MU speed. It's shown as 50mph.

There's one on the Skegness line at one of the ABCL (Automatic Barrier Crossing. Locally monitored by train crew.) where Classes 4,6,7,8 are shown as 15 mph in one direction, but 20 mph in the opposite. Passenger trains can travel at 30mph and 40mph respectively. The restriction is for the distance between level crossing speed signs and the crossing itself.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Not signed on the ground, but mentioned in the Sectional Appendix, is a limit of 5mph for Class 37s (down from 30/50 and 30/65) between 202 miles 21 chains and the 202 milepost on the Chiltern Down Main past Willesden Green station. It's possibly due to the radius of the curves where the main line goes "round the back" of the LU station, but that's purely a guess on my part.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
For years there has been a gauging restriction at Dundas Aqueduct between Freshford and Bathampton of 30/60 (SP70).

_toommm_

Established Member
Wasn't there a 20/60 which affected locomotive hauled trains between Norwich and Brundall Gardens?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Numerous places where specific steam locos are heavily restricted - e.g. Brookwood station down platform 10mph for some locos vs. EMUs at 90!

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
What's an SP differential?

It's a (normally) higher speed limit for any unit that is grouped under the "Sprinter" family - it was initially just Sprinters, then Super Sprinters and Express Sprinters came along, and now there's all sorts of other DMUs included (but not the Siemens Class 185 units). The ability to run at higher speeds is due to the lower axle weight (compared with a locomotive) and superior braking performance that enables such units to run at higher speeds without damaging/excessively wearing the permanent way, and to have an acceptable braking curve when running at that higher speed.

AlbertBeale

Established Member

Ah - thanks. But why would the speed limit for those trains be so much less restrictive than for anything else?

EDIT - just seen the second response to my original question, which largely answers this point. So thanks for that. Though I am surprised that the difference in the allowed speed is so great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.