• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bikes on trains during COVID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spet0789

Since COVID, I have cycled to work.

This morning I got a puncture just as I arrived at work. This evening I walked my (non-folding) bike to the Central London National Rail terminus near where I work to get a train home. The jobsworth at the gateline told me that I would have to wait until 6.30pm to take my bike on the train, cos rules is rules.

I walked to the next set of gates where there was a double width gate, inserted my ticket, walked through and am now sitting with my bike in a near empty carriage.

Given fewer people will be keen to take the tube/buses and commuter trains are largely quiet right now, surely the railways should be welcoming bikes at the moment?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncanp

Established Member
I think the problem is if they relax the rules now, there could be problems if trains become busier when people return to work, and the rules have to be reimposed.

Having said that, it should be possible to make an exception to the rules if the train you want to catch is not too busy, and there is a suitable space to store the bike safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.