• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bilbao to Madrid (and then Portugal)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nwales58

Still running according to the RENFE timetable site.
The northern routes, Barcelona - San Sebastian, Bilbao and Galicia all look pretty unchanged, including San Sebastian covered by one set out and back but Bilbao with weirdly inefficient times.

Looking back at a trip in *2009* the Barcelona-Galicia leaves 15 minutes later but still takes about the same time to Leon!

The big change in 15 years is Euskadi-Galicia (and Salamanca some days?) was multi-portioned 3-4 coach Arco back then rather than the current connections and Barcelona-Salamanca portion of the Galicia train.

williamn

I'm finally getting around to booking my trains on RENFE but every time there's an error after I submit credit card details. Are there known issues with RENFE and UK cards?

nwales58

UK Halifax and Chase cards work on Renfe for me nowadays.

Seat61 says some have problems and suggests 3rd parties which may help. I prefer booking direct to get the full seat of options if pissible as Renfe are still naughty with 3rd parties.

Or try omio.es - on routes with competition you see all the times and lead-in prices together.

williamn

Thanks, used Paypal in the end which worked.

Further question (as I think I've only used RENFE once before!). My train is marked as 'Sin Restauración', which I presume means no catering? Is this likely to be absolutely zero catering (5 hour trip from San Sebastian to Madrid)?

HS2isgood

Thanks, used Paypal in the end which worked.

Further question (as I think I've only used RENFE once before!). My train is marked as 'Sin Restauración', which I presume means no catering? Is this likely to be absolutely zero catering (5 hour trip from San Sebastian to Madrid)?
If it's the IC, hilariously the fastest train yes, zero catering. There may be an idiotic trolley selling coffee, water, milk and doughnuts (not the chocolate ones tho!).

williamn

If it's the IC, hilariously the fastest train yes, zero catering. There may be an idiotic trolley selling coffee, water, milk and doughnuts (not the chocolate ones tho!).
I think it’s an Alvia if it makes a difference.

nwales58

Though those Alvias don’t seem to try to sell you the catering boxes at present. So sin restauracion probably means no buffet either.

Welcome to customer-friendly Renfe. Competition has done wonders for the standard gauge routes.

I think 'Sin Restauración' is more to indicate that meals are not included in the price - on AVE services in certain classes they are and will detail 'Almeurzo' (Lunch) 'Desayuno' (Breakfast) etc. Most Alvia services have at least a buffet car to purchase refreshments.

williamn

Well I guess I will find out! I shall take some snacks in case... Will report back. In the end my intinerary will be:

London - Paris - Hendaye - San Sebastian (overnight)
San Sebastian - Madrid - Vigo (overnight)
Vigo - Porto (several nights!)
Porto - Vigo - Santiago de Compostela (overnight)
Saintiago de Compostela - Madrid - Barcelona (overnight)
Barcelona - Montpellier - Paris (overnight)
Paris - London

Phew!