• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham New Street SimSig in production!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
Just been on the SimSig forums where it's been confirmed that the BHM SimSig is in production where it was demonstrated at the recent Derby meetup. It's currently a beta as it was on show but usable.

And yes it does have Saltley panels, now I don't know the local area so don't know the controlling areas of the PSB.

Anyone know how many panels there are and what areas they control please?

Now I haven't been lucky enough to see it but it should be good especially as the team has always turned out exceptional sims.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
SigCent have a Birmingham New Street one, but you have to pay for it! There's a free trial though if you want to have a look around.

http://www.sigcent.com/

Aictos

Established Member
SigCent have a Birmingham New Street one, but you have to pay for it! There's a free trial though if you want to have a look around.

http://www.sigcent.com/

I've tried the Kings Cross one, never again! I find the SimSig one much more easier to understand and more realistic.

Aictos

Established Member
The main reason why I like SimSig is it's so damn realistic to the real thing, it's exactly what the real life IECCs have.

I have to admit I did struggle with it to start off with but personally it's the best out there.

mr_moo

New Street PSB has 3 panels - the station area and the area either side to the fringes, which isn't very far!
Saltley PSB has, IIRC, 3 panels, covering a fair area. It'll be interesting to see if they encompass historic routes and include the decomissioned route from Pleck Jn.

Old Timer

Established Member
Hampton In Arden to Dudley Port
Church Road Jct to Aston South Jct
Stechford to Aston South Jct to Aston North Jct to Perry Barr North Jct
Grand Jcts to Proof House Jct.
Soho South Jct / North Jct to Perry Barr South Jct/North Jct

Ajax103, do you guys want to look at the signalling plans for the New St PSB area ???

Also remember that the panel runs from Hampton in Arden on the left and Dudley Port on the right.

It'll be interesting to see if they encompass historic routes and include the decomissioned route from Pleck Jn.

I would've thought that Pleck would be included in a Walsall sim, if one's done. Saltley's area stops at Sutton Park.

mr_moo

I would've thought that Pleck would be included in a Walsall sim, if one's done. Saltley's area stops at Sutton Park.

Doh! Sorry, yes, I was getting my boxes confused. I've been in Saltley, New Street and Walsall boxes recently, so was getting muddled up.

I'll try to stop talknig rubbish now... :

GB

Established Member

Aictos

Established Member
Looks good...from what I can see.

Glad its a scrolly sim too as it makes the larger sims alot easier to use.

Tell me about it, it's one reason why I love the scrolly sims - Played Bristol and now Kings Cross and it's a damn sight better although not as realistic as the IECCs use. As the views that the IECCs use are similar to the Paged versions of SimSig.

GB

Established Member
True, but of course in the real world, the area covered by simsigs KX would be covered by multiple signallers :)

How busy will this be?

By the looks of the screenshot this will be ok for single player operation, although i've heard BHM can be rather busy!

Aictos

Established Member
How busy will this be?

By the looks of the screenshot this will be ok for single player operation, although i've heard BNS can be rather busy!

Note BNS is the station code for Barnes where ever that may be and BHM is the station code for Birmingham New Street!

One person can manage Waterloo or even Liverpool Street but it's better with 2 people, I guess this one will just be the same.

Old Timer

Established Member
Note BNS is the station code for Barnes where ever that may be and BHM is the station code for Birmingham New Street!

One person can manage Waterloo or even Liverpool Street but it's better with 2 people, I guess this one will just be the same.
Whilst New St was busy in the 70s and 80s it is much less so today.

When I was there it had over 1000 movements a day, and that excluded locos off and on and shunt movements and light locos moving to/from Saltley.

I went to New St relatively recently and you could see across the whole of the North end from platform 1 to 12 without a train in sight, something that would never have happened in my day.

In the Summer, with you could be replatforming all day because of a late runner in the morning and I recall going off nights after an incident of short duration at the south end, to find we were STILL replatforming when I doubled back for lates the same day.

It depend therefore upon what timetable this simulator is programmed with, whatever if done properly you can only work one panel during normal service.

oldrailman

Hi from new member. To add to previous posts, I have the Sigcent sim for New Street which I find really easy to work. I know the station as I was a platform chargeman there for 12 years. I can't get into the simsig setup at all after trying a couple of their sims. I also use PCRail, of which I have 7 full sims. They are brilliant! I only bought the Sigcent one as PCRail don't do New Street, and I was getting withdrawal symptoms LOL! Cheers, Mal.

Status
Not open for further replies.