• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham to Manchester via Lichfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Afternoon,

Please could somebody check if a Off Peak Return from Birmingham to Manchester is valid via Lichfield? I'm wondering whether to get the 19:51 Avanti from Lichfield to Manchester instead of XC.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Afternoon,

Please could somebody check if a Off Peak Return from Birmingham to Manchester is valid via Lichfield? I'm wondering whether to get the 19:51 Avanti from Lichfield to Manchester instead of XC.

Thanks!
Yes, that's fine. You could also join that service at Tamworth if you prefer.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Yes you can.
You can go via Nuneaton, Tamworth, Lichfield, Rugeley or Stafford.
There's even an itinerary via Tamworth and Warrington (change stations).
And one via Shrewsbury and Chester, though that might be on the one through TfW train.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes you can.
You can go via Nuneaton, Tamworth, Lichfield, Rugeley or Stafford.
There's even an itinerary via Tamworth and Warrington (change stations).
And one via Shrewsbury and Chester, though that might be on the one through TfW train.
Yes, travel via Shrewsbury and Chester is only permitted on that once daily through service.

jfollows

Established Member
Mapped routes: BM, BM+NR, BP+TM, BP+TM+NR.
The simplest, BM, shows (https://data.atoc.org/routeing-maps)
1648573037970.png
so Lichfield is fine.
(BP+TM shows Nuneaton also valid as a route, as mentioned earlier)
I once came home from London Marylebone on an Advance ticket to Birmingham, then I had a Birmingham-Wilmslow single, so I went to Lichfield to watch trains for an hour before catching the train thence back home. It's fine.

Oh yes, I also went home on 1H73 which is the train you’re planning on using.

Last edited:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I'm coming from Gloucester and was going to change at University and board a Lichfield service there, but I might stay on this Nottingham to Tamworth and catch it from there instead as wires are down at Wolves and also cross city is disrupted.

Avanti have confirmed its valid anyway irrespective of the disruption this evening. Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.