• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Birmingham to Preston, Saturday evening, 14/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
Standing on the platform at Birmingham New Street awaiting my train, I heard an announcement that the 1907 Avanti service to Preston had been cancelled due to lack of train crew.
An alternative was suggested which was barely audible but it said change at Crewe so I guess it was the 1934 WMT service to Liverpool.
That train arrived at Crewe on time at 2030 but the next Avanti service from Crewe to Preston at 2104 was also cancelled.
The last Avanti train of the evening from Crewe to Preston at 2232 was cancelled too.

Assuming that passengers from Birmingham managed to get as far as Crewe, would anyone who wanted Warrington, Wigan or Preston have had any other means of getting there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

142blue

On Moderation
Yes road transport has to be arranged or look at could you send via Manchester and connect with TPE / Northern / TfW

Can't leave people stranded

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Assuming this is Saturday, passengers for Wigan and Preston could’ve even stayed on until Liverpool and changed there for the 2215, although it would be a hefty delay. Or take the 2046 from Crewe up to Manchester where connections were available. I would hope Avanti helped passengers with onward connections.

Mugby

Established Member
Assuming this is Saturday, passengers for Wigan and Preston could’ve even stayed on until Liverpool and changed there for the 2215, although it would be a hefty delay. Or take the 2046 from Crewe up to Manchester where connections were available. I would hope Avanti helped passengers with onward connections.
Yes, I hope they helped passengers with connections but I wouldn't bet on it. Given that the 1934 Crewe to Liverpool was a WMR service, I wonder if they even arranged acceptance!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Any company in a position to assist is compelled to do so under the National Rail Conditions of Travel.

Lampshade

Established Member
Sod ever risking getting stranded in Crewe, unless onward travel is 1000000% guaranteed I’d always head to the nearest major city where connections/alternative transport is available.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The Avanti staff at Crewe are normally well versed and very helpful with situations such as this. Didn't notice anyone milling around when I clocked off so hopefully everyone got to where they needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.