• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bizarre ticket prices.

High Dyke

Established Member
Just checking out prices for a journey next week. I'm using a PRIV ticket for the journey. It amazed me to see that an Anytime return, Off-Peak return and the Anytime single were all the same price. An Off-Peak single is only 5p cheaper. The journey in question is Grantham to Derby.

My question is: does any other journey.have a similar pricing, even at full price?
Screenshot_20240125_210908_Chrome.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The PRIV discount and rounding means that there is some loss of detail in the prices relative to the public fares which are £16.10, £16.00, £16.00 and £15.80 respectively

MrJeeves

Established Member
Not the same style of pricing oddity but Exeter to Newton St Cures with a railcard.

Two singles (£1.55) saves five pence over the return ticket (£3.15) because of railcard rounding.

D6975

Established Member
Even with a normal, full price ticket there are many examples where a day return is only pennies more than a single.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Even with a normal, full price ticket there are many examples where a day return is only pennies more than a single.
Or even in some cases cheaper if an off-peak day return is offered but only anytime singles are available.

johnjdc

Not really the same as your question but it's always struck me as odd, and I assume is due to some commercial arrangement, that it's cheaper off peak to get a 14 minute train from Oxford to Bicester Village than a 30 minute bus.

(or, currently, the same price because of the fare cap).