• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North tram opening date ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespa

Established Member
It's been a while since the extension was finished and trams have been test running up and down the extension, to date I've heard nothing about it being brought into public service.

Is there any planned date pencilled in ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davehsug

It's been a while since the extension was finished and trams have been test running up and down the extension, to date I've heard nothing about it being brought into public service.

Is there any planned date pencilled in ?
I asked the same question in the Blackpool News Thread if you'd like an answer.

According to the local rumour mill, and there's evidence to back it up, there is an issue with the cladding on the hotel. What can be said with complete certainty is that no cladding work has been done for several months and most of the sides above the tram stop are still unclad. One rumour says the cladding manufacturer has gone bang and they can't find a suitable alternative supply, the other says that it has been installed incorrectly. There's work going on inside the hotel, but little outside.

The word on the street is September at the earliest, possibly even early 2024. No work has been done on the cladding. The hotel or the subway underneath it can't be finished until that's done. The tram platform and hence the tramway can't open without either being finished.

As to add-on fares, apparently, you will be able to buy through tickets pretty well any stop on the tram network.

sonic2009

Established Member
Is it proposed that add-on fares to and from rail journeys to Blackpool North railway station will be made available as a method of attracting day visitor usage on the tramway system?
As to add-on fares, apparently, you will be able to buy through tickets pretty well any stop on the tram network.
These add-ons look to be in place as fares are available from Manchester Airport (I suspect other destinations are available) to :

plugwash

Established Member
Is it proposed that add-on fares to and from rail journeys to Blackpool North railway station will be made available as a method of attracting day visitor usage on the tramway system?
Somewhat confusingly there are two different options. You can either buy a through rail ticket to "BPOOL NTHBUSTRAM" or you can buy a regular rail ticket and then buy a blackpool plusbus.

IIRC the plusbus is slightly cheaper but only covers you from Starr Gate to Clevely Park, while the through tickets cover the whole blackpool tram network.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Somewhat confusingly there are two different options. You can either buy a through rail ticket to "BPOOL NTHBUSTRAM" or you can buy a regular rail ticket and then buy a blackpool plusbus.

IIRC the plusbus is slightly cheaper but only covers you from Starr Gate to Clevely Park, while the through tickets cover the whole blackpool tram network.
Thanks for the clarification, which confirms what I had heard from a local resident in Anchorsholme.

Going by the hotel this morning, there is definitely work going on on the cladding. Whether they are taking off existing cladding or installing new I'm not 100% sure but there looks to be some new cladding up on the hotel ground floor (rather than the, I guess, basement level where the subway is).

Trackman

Established Member
Going by the hotel this morning, there is definitely work going on on the cladding. Whether they are taking off existing cladding or installing new I'm not 100% sure but there looks to be some new cladding up on the hotel ground floor (rather than the, I guess, basement level where the subway is).
The new Holiday Inn? Where about is it compared to Blackpool North? Wilko site?

I'm not sure how much this moves the opening on, but the cladding work on the missing bit is now mostly done, some ground floor stuff needs doing and there is an odd small bit missing here and there, and the tower crane is being removed from site yesterday and today.

That's got to be positive, but I'm not sure how!

Status
Not open for further replies.