• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool Trams News

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have been asked to ask an unusual request with regards to the new tram line up Talbot Road. On that road is Sacred Heart RC church and the query was if a funeral service were to be held there, would the hearse and other Funeral directors cars still be able to park outside the church, as the coffin would need to be brought into the church for the service. Does anyone on here know if the required road space between the pavement and the tram tracks would be sufficient.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
I have been asked to ask an unusual request with regards to the new tram line up Talbot Road. On that road is Sacred Heart RC church and the query was if a funeral service were to be held there, would the hearse and other Funeral directors cars still be able to park outside the church, as the coffin would need to be brought into the church for the service. Does anyone on here know if the required road space between the pavement and the tram tracks would be sufficient.
If it's the one I'm thinking about (trundled up and down Talbot road many times), it has a car-park next to the entrance, bags of room for a hearse/funeral family cars.

Yes, there are two lay-bys just for this, and weddings, etc.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Yes, there are two lay-bys just for this, and weddings, etc.

The reason that I raised the matter was that someone had told me the Sacred Heart church car park entrance was closed off some time during the time of the line installation works. I cannot vouch for the veracity of that information.

You're testing my memory there, but I seem to remember that they did Talbot Road in two bits, split outside Sacred Heart so that they always had access via one access gate or another.

Wednesday 12th June has been announced as opening day.

Last edited:

Tramfan

https://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Campaigns/Tramway-launch/First-Rider.aspx
Blackpool’s tramway extension is set to welcome its first passengers on the 12 June and residents of Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre can enter the draw to be on the very first tram.

Link from Blackpool Council Facebook page stating the first passenger tram to the North Station extension should be the 12th June

https://www.blackpool.gov.uk/news/blackpool-tramway-extension-to-open.aspx?date=24-04-2024
The first regular trams taking fare paying passengers will start on Sunday 16 June with details of routes and timings available nearer the time. There will also be limited tickets available on special tram tours on the 13, 14 and 15 June. Tickets will be on sale from the middle of May and more detail will be released in due course. Visit www.blackpooltransport.com for more information.

Regular North Station service confirmed to be starting from Sunday 16th June, with other tours in the days leading up to that date

Last edited:

davehsug

Seems a long delay? There's hardly a mass of new route to learn. Just very disappointed I'm going to miss out when I stay for 5 days in late May.