• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blanking Plates On Sides Of Class 323s

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJDesiro

I’ve been wondering for a while what the blanking plates on the sides on class 323s are. They’re located above the windows at the centre of each carriage. Does anyone know what these are for? Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I’ve been wondering for a while what the blanking plates on the sides on class 323s are. They’re located above the windows at the centre of each carriage. Does anyone know what these are for? Thanks.
There used to be destination indicators fitted when they were built. They fell into disuse.

The front display and side indicators were linked but the system didn't work well. The ones on the front were replaced by roller blinds but obviously that wasn't very helpful for indicators in the carriage that couldn't be controlled by the driver.

They were all a bit rubbish... Think dot matrix clock style, like the old BR Clocks at stations, but electronic.
They were forever flashing or missing sections or just blank.

tom1649

I seem to remember them suffering from water ingress as well. It was always a surprise to see one working properly, even when fairly new.

L401CJF

Established Member
I found this photo on Flickr.

Not my photo, all credit to "Matt Taylor". Happy to remove if requested.

Attachments

• 2022-10-09_08-50-00.jpg
    2022-10-09_08-50-00.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 222

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I found this photo on Flickr.

Not my photo, all credit to "Matt Taylor". Happy to remove if requested.

No problem, that's my picture taken back in 1995 and I think it was the first time I'd seen a 323, I also think that the 323s were the first to be built with a bodyside display panel.

AJDesiro

Thanks, I thought it might be that, but it's always good to have confirmation!

L401CJF

Established Member
No problem, that's my picture taken back in 1995 and I think it was the first time I'd seen a 323, I also think that the 323s were the first to be built with a bodyside display panel.
Cheers for sharing. It's little photos like that which I love coming across. I could find plenty of photos of 323s in their early days but yours is the only one I found with a clear, visible (and legible) side display!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The 158s and Networkers had similar technology for their displays when new, as did some big arrival/departure screens at stations. In my opinion they were always rather rubbish, blocky lettering and slow to update.

365 Networker

323 235 was actually fitted with the same newer orange dot matrix units which were fitted to the Centro units - including the side displays:-

However, this was removed by 2014

py_megapixel

Established Member
323 235 was actually fitted with the same newer orange dot matrix units which were fitted to the Centro units - including the side displays:-

However, this was removed by 2014
Removing them was a retrograde step IMO. The TrainFX system they have now is certainly inferior.

Weirdly the WMT units have now had them replaced with TrainFX as well. Was there some technicality on which they weren't compliant with the PRM-TSI?

LowLevel

Established Member
Removing them was a retrograde step IMO. The TrainFX system they have now is certainly inferior.

Weirdly the WMT units have now had them replaced with TrainFX as well. Was there some technicality on which they weren't compliant with the PRM-TSI?
If they were anything like class 158 they only had a simple destination controller operated by entering a code into a keypad. This was no use for operating the required internal carriage screens and providing auto announcements. TrainFX is a crap system but it gets away with it because there aren't many other affordable options that are intended to be grafted on to existing trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.