• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BLS The Metro Marauder - Sat 14 May 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainmania100

Established Member
A branch line society tour using southern 8/455.

Goes via billinghurst, Brighton (platform 2), Lewes and more.

The Metro Marauder - Saturday 14th May 2022
The Branch Line Society is delighted to announce it will be acting as booking agent to support Southern as they say farewell to the Southern Class 455s. The charity charter will operate on the last day of operation of the class, being the timetable change date of Saturday 14th May. All profits will be donated to good causes nominated by Southern and Govia Thameslink Railway.

Featuring 2 x Class 455/8 throughout, the charity tour will take in a number of unusual routes for the class and will include a circa 1 hour comfort and refreshment break in Brighton. A number of other comfort breaks and photo stops will be provided throughout the journey.

There will be a sales stand provided by our friends from the Network SouthEast Railway Society and a further stand may be added. In addition, there will be an onboard charity raffle with some fantastic prizes.

Hoped routing: London Victoria P14 (PU 09.02) – Clapham Junction – Streatham Reversible Fast Spur – Mitcham Junction – Epsom – Dorking – Horsham P4 – Billingshurt Signal T1430 (RM) – Horsham P4 – Three Bridges P2 (RM) – Haywards Heath P4 – Preston Park P1 – Dn Cliftonville Spur – Hove P1 (RM) – Brighton P2 (RM / 60 minute break) – Hove P2 (RM) – Up Cliftonville Spur – Preston Park P1 (RM) – Brighton P6 (RM) – Lewes Signal TLW58 (RM) – Haywards Heath P3 – Gatwick Airport P4 – Quarry Line – East Croydon P2 – Norwood Junction – London Bridge P5 – London Charing Cross P6 (RM) – London Bridge P7 – Dn Sussex Reversible – Tulse Hill P4 – Leigham Spur – Balham – Clapham Junction P14 – Factory Jn – Dn Brixton Spur – Elephant & Castle – London Blackfriars P4 (RM) – Elephant & Castle – Denmark Hill – Bellingham – Bromley South – Swanley – Sevenoaks P3 (RM) – Orpington – Bromley South – Bellingham – Denmark Hill – Voltaire Road Jn – Up Chatham Reversible – Battersea Pier Jn – London Victoria P14 (SD 18.49)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
Can't make the due to a prior commitment but I might be able to get to Victoria for the arrival.

Fincra5

Established Member
The money will go to MIND Croydon, a mental health charity serving South London.

Benefitting the area the 455s served for their working life.

Frothy_B

It will be my first charter also. All on lines/stock I've never had reason to go on before. The only Southern 455s I'll see will be those that we see over the course of the day, but it will be nice to have been part of their last ride out.

dan4291

It will be my first charter also. All on lines/stock I've never had reason to go on before. The only Southern 455s I'll see will be those that we see over the course of the day, but it will be nice to have been part of their last ride out.
Yeah definitely. Used to go into London Victoria a lot when I was younger but the SE side rather than the Southern, and only ever been on SWR 455's, but still sounds like a good day out.

387star

On Moderation
My first too

Kite159

Veteran Member
If anything it will be an allocated coach (with the coaches being lettered A, B, C, D etc) where you are free to take up any seat within that coach. Based on the Merseyrail tours

Just checked the branch line society website and tickets have sold out. There is a waiting list you can join incase a ticket becomes avalaible.

E759

Looking forward to this trip. Been doing EMU/DEMU charters on Southern since the 1970's; long may they continue!

LUYMun

Looks like the railtour will perform the following routes:

London Victoria - Horsham
Horsham - Three Bridges
Three Bridges - Brighton
Brighton - Hove
Hove - Preston Park
Preston Park - Brighton
Brighton - Lewes
Lewes - Charing Cross
Charing Cross - Blackfriars (via Tulse Hill)
Blackfriars - Sevenoaks
Sevenoaks - London Victoria

Will be an interesting exploration, as this will be a first that a 455 visits Hove, Brighton and Lewes, and even the southeastern territory!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Will be an interesting exploration, as this will be a first that a 455 visits Hove, Brighton and Lewes, and even the southeastern territory!
455s regularly reached Brighton on the late night services from Victoria in slam door days as they could run DOO when there was no guard available. They used to go to Ashford for works attention.

However, they have certainly been unusual at many of the locations during more recent times.

Fincra5

Established Member
Makes no difference to me personally but what might be factors in the decision-making of selection of units for the tour? For example, units with fewer miles/better tyres?
Probably those that have the most mileage available and are in better condition!

For those not on Twitter, Traincrew Graphic Design (https://twitter.com/traincrew_uk) have been working on the leaflets and Window Boards for the tour...

I think you'll agree they look fantastic!

Attachments

• FRI-s8bXsAAZ3jS.png
    FRI-s8bXsAAZ3jS.png
    201.7 KB · Views: 137
  • FRI-s8ZXMAAcM1y.png
    FRI-s8ZXMAAcM1y.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 135
  • FRJEpnWWQAMa4mc.png
    FRJEpnWWQAMa4mc.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

DEAN MURPHY

Just thinking about this tour-how will there be toilet stops as they have no toilet facilities?? It would be lovely if they were to re-vinyl the two sets. One in original blue and white and the other in NSE!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just thinking about this tour-how will there be toilet stops as they have no toilet facilities?? It would be lovely if they were to re-vinyl the two sets. One in original blue and white and the other in NSE!
If it's anything like the recent Merseyrail tour, there will be opportunities to take "personal needs breaks" at most locations where the tour reverses or sits in a station. Subject to toilets existing and being open, of course!

clagmonster

Established Member
455s regularly reached Brighton on the late night services from Victoria in slam door days as they could run DOO when there was no guard available. They used to go to Ashford for works attention.

However, they have certainly been unusual at many of the locations during more recent times.
Whilst there have been a few to Brighton vice other stock, has one ever been to Lewes in service? Seems plausible as at a time the 01:05 Vic - Brighton and 03:bungle return were reasonably often diverted that way.

TRXsouth

Probably those that have the most mileage available and are in better condition!

For those not on Twitter, Traincrew Graphic Design (https://twitter.com/traincrew_uk) have been working on the leaflets and Window Boards for the tour...

I think you'll agree they look fantastic!

Hi Fincra5 -
I hope that the tour organisers will have some spare Window Boards available for sale during the Railtour for a nominal charge. They will be a great souvenir and could earn some extra for the charity.

OliverH68

Hi Fincra5 -
I hope that the tour organisers will have some spare Window Boards available for sale during the Railtour for a nominal charge. They will be a great souvenir and could earn some extra for the charity.
Window labels will definitely be on sale onboard for £1 each (as is usually the case on every BLS tour).

AY1975

Established Member
Does anyone have any timings for it, or if not would you be able to work out some estimated timings at each of the key locations? The BLS website only appears to have timings for the start and finish at Victoria. It also doesn't appear to be on Real Time Trains. It is listed on the Railtour Info website (railtourinfo.co.uk) but it says timings tba.

Do you know how long beforehand a railtour normally appears on Real Time Trains? I would guess that it depends how far in advance the timings are confirmed by Network Rail, and it may only appear on there the day before or even on the day itself, or it may not appear on there until after the tour.

My guess (though I am only guessing) would be that the one-hour break in Brighton will be from about 12.00 to 13.00.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Does anyone have any timings for it, or if not would you be able to work out some estimated timings at each of the key locations? The BLS website only appears to have timings for the start and finish at Victoria. It also doesn't appear to be on Real Time Trains. It is listed on the Railtour Info website (railtourinfo.co.uk) but it says timings tba.
It will appear on RTT before next Saturday.

Probably not too difficult to guess by looking at what it might follow or where the gaps in the timetable are to do the reversals.

For example, on the first stretch:
London Victoria P14 (PU 09.02) – Clapham Junction – Streatham Reversible Fast Spur – Mitcham Junction – Epsom – Dorking – Horsham P4 – Billingshurt Signal T1430 (RM)

It departs at Victoria at 0902 - there is a Dorking train from Victoria at 0855 and the tour isn't going to get to Streatham South Junction before 0909 in time to go in front
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L29244/2022-05-14/detailed

At Billingshurst, the gap to reverse looks like it is after 1045
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...22-05-14/1005-1105?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

and so on.

AY1975

Established Member
It will appear on RTT before next Saturday.

Probably not too difficult to guess by looking at what it might follow or where the gaps in the timetable are to do the reversals.

For example, on the first stretch:

It departs at Victoria at 0902 - there is a Dorking train from Victoria at 0855 and the tour isn't going to get to Streatham South Junction before 0909 in time to go in front
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L29244/2022-05-14/detailed

At Billingshurst, the gap to reverse looks like it is after 1045
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...22-05-14/1005-1105?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

and so on.
Yes, and there's a 09.56 Bognor Regis-Victoria, which arrives at Horsham at 10.41 and departs at 10.50, arriving Three Bridges at 11.03. Obviously the tour would have to follow that, so my guess would be, say, depart Horsham between 10.55 and 11.00, arrive Three Bridges about 11.05-11.15.

There is then the 09.19 Bedford-Brighton, which arrives Three Bridges 11.10 and departs 11.11, arriving at Brighton at 11.43. Assuming that the tour has to follow that one, my guess would be depart Three Bridges about 11.20, arrive Hove 11.45.

The 10.29 Portsmouth Harbour-Brighton gets to Hove at 11.45, departs 11.46 and gets to Brighton at 11.51. I suppose there's a chance that the tour might be able to get through between that one and the 11.56 Hove-Brighton shuttle, but if not it would have to wait for that one and maybe even for the 11.42 West Worthing-Brighton (dep Hove 12.09).

If my calculations are about right (and assuming that nothing goes wrong on the first leg of the tour), then about 12.00-13.00 or, say, 12.15-13.15 at Brighton would be a good guess. Chasing railtours does often involve a certain amount of guesswork, though.

LA50041

Established Member

Do you know how long beforehand a railtour normally appears on Real Time Trains? I would guess that it depends how far in advance the timings are confirmed by Network Rail, and it may only appear on there the day before or even on the day itself, or it may not appear on there until after the tour.

My guess (though I am only guessing) would be that the one-hour break in Brighton will be from about 12.00 to 13.00.
The draft timings had it arrive Brighton 1146 and depart 1255.
I don’t know if that has changed so don’t hold me to it

Status
Not open for further replies.