• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bluestar Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megafuss

That would make sense. The m1 needs to be deckered (and always has in my opinion).

The m2 less so while it runs alongside the 1/1a/1b, though there are good PVR savings available if they do decide to amalgamate these services.

Not sure about brand new deckers on the 5/5a though. There is a long history of the local pond life using them as target practice.....
I think the m2 route will stay as it is, but I can see it being deckers, with singles moving to the 1 group (or whatever becomes of it)

The reason why I think the m2 will not change route is that Poole drivers can do two round trips to Southbourne before a break. If they extended it, then that would be a problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thisisajm

I notice Bluestar (along with the rest of Go South Coast, by the looks of it) has removed the fare calculator.

Are they not offering paper tickets anymore or is this just a way of up selling tap on/off at more expense?

Last edited by a moderator:

Simon75

On Moderation
I notice Bluestar (along with the rest of Go South Coast, by the looks of it) has removed the fare calculator.

Are they not offering paper tickets anymore or is this just a way of up selling tap on/off at more expense?
Could be due the £2 bus fares, not to confuse people

nw1

Established Member
I wonder if, after a "bedding in period", they will in fact introduce some innovations with the routes.

For example I can see that the new 10, and the 7, could be combined to make a circular Sholing route, outbound Bitterne, inbound Woolston or vice-versa, if the 10 was upped to every 30 minutes. Essentially a reintroduction of the old First 5/7 which did this some time ago.

Or, they could increase the 3 to half-hourly as far as Hedge End, and extend alternate journeys to Hedge End station as, say, the 3A, which could then return to Southampton as the new 14, effectively producing a Hedge End "grand circle".

Maybe also they could do something with the 16 and the new 20 to re-introduce a Portswood-Bitterne link.

Obviously now is not the time to try this, but if they have success with the new services, maybe they could look at these kinds of possibilities.

I don't think tap on/off is more expensive, is it? From their advertising it sounds like tap on/off will produce "the cheapest daily fare".

Surreyman

I note that the 8 Optare Versas currently out of service at Swindon have appeared on 'Bustimes.org' under Bluestar, suggesting that they will be used by Bluestar from Feb 19th?

AwkwardHail

I note that the 8 Optare Versas currently out of service at Swindon have appeared on 'Bustimes.org' under Bluestar, suggesting that they will be used by Bluestar from Feb 19th?
I think at the moment the plan is 4 for Southampton with 4 for more to displace the Salisbury Reds vehicles on loan.

fgwrich

Established Member
I think at the moment the plan is 4 for Southampton with 4 for more to displace the Salisbury Reds vehicles on loan.

They are indeed (or at least some of) as Andrew Wickham has alluded to in one of his tweets this week:

We’re drafting in various buses in for our
@BluestarHQ
new services starting next month. Here are some of them being prepared at Eastleigh Depot for this next exciting stage in their lives.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveHarries

Established Member
Noticed heading west on the M4 this morning near J13 (A34 / Newbury) at about 10:30am was a red Enviro200 MMC with GoAhead London branding. I was going eastbound at the time (as a passenger in a vehicle) so I didn't catch the registration of it and it didn't surface on the live map on the bustimes.org website when I checked. Given its location at the time I couldn't help wondering if its next stop was either Eastleigh or Southampton for use by Bluestar on the new Southampton routes. It was the only one I saw but it could be that Bluestar have taken a few.

Anyone know if GoAhead London have disposed of any E200 MMCs?

Dave

Edit: in reply to a Tweet I have been informed that the Enviro200 MMC in question was not bound for Bluestar.

Towers

Established Member
Noticed heading west on the M4 this morning near J13 (A34 / Newbury) at about 10:30am was a red Enviro200 MMC with GoAhead London branding. I was going eastbound at the time (as a passenger in a vehicle) so I didn't catch the registration of it and it didn't surface on the live map on the bustimes.org website when I checked. Given its location at the time I couldn't help wondering if its next stop was either Eastleigh or Southampton for use by Bluestar on the new Southampton routes. It was the only one I saw but it could be that Bluestar have taken a few.

Anyone know if GoAhead London have disposed of any E200 MMCs?

Dave

Edit: in reply to a Tweet I have been informed that the Enviro200 MMC in question was not bound for Bluestar.
London vehicles quite often head down to Eastleigh for refurbishment or cosmetic work at Hants & Dorset Trim, who are based adjacent to the Blue Star depot at Barton Park.

nw1

Established Member
Putting this in a more on-topic thread, I wonder if Bluestar have any plans to compensate for the loss of the Xelabus X9 and X10 (Bishops Waltham-Eastleigh and Southampton respectively)?

I can see they could possibly do something with the new 14, i.e. extend it every hour, or two hours, to Durley and Bishops Waltham, and then continue on to Eastleigh (which would be a convenient point to terminate as there's a depot there). Such a route would not be vastly different to the classic 52 route, though Horton Heath would be omitted - but it's now on the 3 anyway.

Another suggestion made in the Xelabus thread is to extend the 14 to Hedge End town centre. Perhaps those 14 journeys which would not continue to Bishops Waltham as described above could do this, and then return to Southampton as additional 3 journeys, providing a 30-min headway on the inner part of that route? (as hourly does seem very infrequent for this service, e.g. Thornhill Park Road has nothing else).

Mal

Putting this in a more on-topic thread, I wonder if Bluestar have any plans to compensate for the loss of the Xelabus X9 and X10 (Bishops Waltham-Eastleigh and Southampton respectively)?

I can see they could possibly do something with the new 14, i.e. extend it every hour, or two hours, to Durley and Bishops Waltham, and then continue on to Eastleigh (which would be a convenient point to terminate as there's a depot there). Such a route would not be vastly different to the classic 52 route, though Horton Heath would be omitted - but it's now on the 3 anyway.

Another suggestion made in the Xelabus thread is to extend the 14 to Hedge End town centre. Perhaps those 14 journeys which would not continue to Bishops Waltham as described above could do this, and then return to Southampton as additional 3 journeys, providing a 30-min headway on the inner part of that route? (as hourly does seem very infrequent for this service, e.g. Thornhill Park Road has nothing else).
This reply makes me wonder if Bluestar could try to take Xelabus over?

nw1

Established Member
This reply makes me wonder if Bluestar could try to take Xelabus over?

I'm not an insider by any means - just a bus user. My comments are based on speculation from others in various places that Bluestar might take over the Bishops Waltham services.

I do see that something is likely to happen in the Hedge End area though, even if it's just combining the 3 and 14 in some way. I suspect the first iteration of new services is just a straightforward takeover of the City Red routes, and a second iteration will look at how ex-City Red routes can be combined with longstanding Bluestar routes to produce new links. The 16 and new 20 also spring to mind.

PTR 444

Established Member

I think it might be worth looking into a wholesale review of routes within Hedge End, particularly with First withdrawing and Xelabus slimming down operations further.

A possibility for extending the 14 could involve running to the Maypole Roundabout via Locke Road, Wildern Lane, Hedge End Centre and Lower Northam Road. On a 30-minute frequency, half of journeys could terminate there and continue back to Southampton as a route 3 journey, while the others continue to Eastleigh the (very) long way round via Botley, Curdridge, Bishop’s Waltham, Durley and Fair Oak.

This would also allow the 3 to run half-hourly between Southampton and Hedge End (Maypole Roundabout) via a quicker route. It could run direct from the M27 roundabout to the Retail Park, then onto the Kings Copse Avenue estate via Turnpike Way, Upper Northam Road and Bursledon Road. Hourly journeys would continue to Eastleigh via Horton Heath as per today, while the others would continue back into Southampton as a route 14 service. The combination of certain route 3 and 14 journeys means that you can effectively service all of Hedge End on a single route.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
The Xelabus announcement says that "The council will be retendering the services to operators in the local area", and towards the end of last year Hampshire County Council's intention seemed to be for the X9/X10 to be combined with the (currently) Stagecoach-operated Eastleigh to Winchester E1/E2 routes to - presumably - form a 'round the houses' Southampton - Bishops Waltham - Hedge End - Eastleigh - Winchester route. So with Xelabus saying the X9/X10 is a case of the contract "coming to its natural end", rather than it being a case of them pulling out mid-contract, I do wonder if the E1/E2 contract may also have the same end date and we may see this proposal being tendered for now? If so, then I guess the question would be whether Bluestar felt they could take that on on top of everything else, or if it might stretch them too far?

Based on the current two-hourly frequency for each route (although the E1/E2 offer a combined hourly frequency over common sections), I believe four vehicles would be required, or six if the X9/X10 were to return to hourly (they dropped to two-hourly during Covid, back up to hourly weekdays in May 2021, and then back down to two-hourly I think last September). I guess the likely bidders would be Bluestar and Stagecoach. Wheelers seem to have lost interest in local stage carriage work, Transpora's Altonian Coaches website mentions a Southampton depot, and interestingly a comment signed by Xelabus boss Gareth Blair on the Southampton Bus Update reads that they do intend to still tender for the replacement contract: "We have operated these services since we took over Brijan in 2015. They were only supposed to be for 4 years but extended year on year after. Now in its 8th year of operating. Sadly the year on year extensions have not kept up with the year on year levels of inflation and as such we have handed back to HCC but will of course be retendering. Gareth Blair".

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
Other options I can think of for replacement for the X9 / X10 would be:

1. To hark back to days of old and bring back Service 50 (Southampton - Bishops Waltham - Droxford - West Meon - Petersfield) or some version thereof. I guess there won't be much chance of that coming to pass though but if it did the service could be run hourly from Southampton to Bishops Waltham, via. Waltham Chase & Swanmore, with alternate trips through to Petersfield. I think I once worked it out that a trip each way would take around 100 minutes each way end-to-end and would provide some useful links as well as probably being quicker than doing the trip by train from Southampton to Petersfield.

2. For the Fareham - Winchester route to become every 30 minutes between Fareham and Bishops Waltham by adding a Service 68 (or 69A?) which would follow the 69 from Fareham to Bishops Waltham and then run through to Southampton via. Botley, Hedge End and Bitterne.

No harm in ideas. If the X9 and X10 were combined with the E1 and E2 then that makes sense also although Stagecoach already have Eastleigh to Winchester covered..

Dave

PTR 444

Established Member

1. To hark back to days of old and bring back Service 50 (Southampton - Bishops Waltham - Droxford - West Meon - Petersfield) or some version thereof. I guess there won't be much chance of that coming to pass though but if it did the service could be run hourly from Southampton to Bishops Waltham, via. Waltham Chase & Swanmore, with alternate trips through to Petersfield. I think I once worked it out that a trip each way would take around 100 minutes each way end-to-end and would provide some useful links as well as probably being quicker than doing the trip by train from Southampton to Petersfield.

2. For the Fareham - Winchester route to become every 30 minutes between Fareham and Bishops Waltham by adding a Service 68 (or 69A?) which would follow the 69 from Fareham to Bishops Waltham and then run through to Southampton via. Botley, Hedge End and Bitterne.

No harm in ideas. If the X9 and X10 were combined with the E1 and E2 then that makes sense also although Stagecoach already have Eastleigh to Winchester covered..

Dave
Another option for the 69 route could be to keep Fareham - Winchester hourly, but divert alternate journeys (on a 2-hourly basis) via Durley and Horton Heath.

The only downside is that Lower Upham gets a reduced service, and that’s a tiny place anyway.

nw1

Established Member

I'd like to see that back, but sadly can't see it happening unless Hampshire County Council make a dramatic change in their public transport policy.

Incidentally the 50 must be a really long time ago! It was always the 52 for me (my earliest memories of the service were in 1989; I wonder how the 50 differed from the 52?)

Back in the day (90s) I did regularly use the 52 for travelling end-to-end from Southampton to Petersfield or vice-versa, and it was generally quicker than the train, despite a 5-10 min wait at Swanmore School to connect with the 69 (but it was nice to see such a planned connection!). Ran decently late too, the last journey back in both directions being around 18:45. I seem to remember it was operated with two vehicles, these crossing at Swanmore School - but some years interworking with the 32 to Calmore occurred (due, it seems, to the Marchwood Motorways arrangement mentioned some way up thread).

I do think it would make more sense for Bluestar to the the operator, as it seems obvious Bluestar territory and has the advantage that they have a depot at Eastleigh (one end of the route, potentially). Would also mean that the service could operate as part of the existing or future Bluestar service between Hedge End and Southampton (either as a 14, or perhaps an additional 3) rather than a Stagecoach service duplicating Bluestar provision, on which Bluestar tickets would not be valid.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
Incidentally the 50 must be a really long time ago! It was always the 52 for me (my earliest memories of the service were in 1989; I wonder how the 50 differed from the 52?)
I never lived in the area so have no memories of either route. It was Hants & Dorset who ran the 50 and there is a website with the timetable for it too thanks to the site in question containing the H&D timetable book from 11/06/1967.

The 50 was not the only route through Bishops Waltham though: Services 43 & 43A also linked through to Southampton (via. Fair Oak, Eastleigh & Southampton Airport) and in addition to the 50 there were 5 other routes. From what I can tell, looking at that TT book, the only route to survive on its original service number (and to the original route?) is the 69 between Winchester and Fareham. Also given, thinking of my earlier post, is a Service 69A between Fareham and Botley albeit by a slightly different route.

Timetables for the whole lot can be found at https://timetableworld.com/ttw-viewer.php?token=735b04d2-1c29-4269-8a28-83fd20c7201d

Anyway, I digress: no doubt someone will tell us to get back on topic.

HTIOI,
Dave

Man of Kent

... interestingly a comment signed by Xelabus boss Gareth Blair on the Southampton Bus Update reads that they do intend to still tender for the replacement contract: "We have operated these services since we took over Brijan in 2015. They were only supposed to be for 4 years but extended year on year after. Now in its 8th year of operating. Sadly the year on year extensions have not kept up with the year on year levels of inflation and as such we have handed back to HCC but will of course be retendering. Gareth Blair".
The maximum length of a contract is 8 years - it's set in law by The Service Subsidy Agreement (Tendering) Regulations 1985 and subsequent amendments. They can't be extended beyond that, so sounds as though this one has hit an immoveable expiry date.

Hampshire's Bus Service Improvement Plan shows the levels of subsidy on individual routes. Figures for these are:
"X9 75% HCC funded, X10 50% HCC funded - both daytime timetable". For the E1/E2 it is "90% HCC Support, 10% commercial. All day timetable”.

nw1

Established Member
Another general Bluestar question: how many routes are still operated with a mixture of single- and double-deckers? I'm noticing most of the routes with one or two exceptions are pretty uniform.

From observations:
1,2,6,7,9,17,18 - wholly double deck, though not sure about the 9
4,8,11,12 - wholly single-deck? Not sure.
3 - mixed
16 - mostly double deck, but consistently there seem to be a few single deck journeys

Is this about right? Any double-deckers on the 4,8,11 and 12? Any single-deckers on the 9?

route101

Established Member
7 has occasional single deckers.
11 and 12 occaisonal double deckers.
And ditto for the 4.

Surreyman

7 has occasional single deckers.
11 and 12 occaisonal double deckers.
And ditto for the 4.
Been following Bluestar on Bustimes for a few weeks: -
1 & 2 are near 100% double deck (single door with the odd dual door)
3 is mixed single/double.
4 is mixed single/double
5 mostly double - usually older Scanias (route is outside Southampton) but the odd single.
6 mostly double - allocation is from Lymington, so the odd Morebus liveried vehicle.
7 mixed
8 usually single deck
9 mixed
11 mostly single deck, some double.
12 mixed
16 mixed
17 Double deck - dual door - usually E400 '63 reg batch
18 Double deck - dual door - usually E400 'City' batch
PRH Double deck dual door - usually E400 '63 reg batch
QC Double deck - dual door - usually E400 'City' dedicated livery vehicle.
also one vehicle is used on X7 (Salisbury Red route)
The 35/36/39 + H1,H2, T1, T2 routes operated by e200 'classic or E200MMC.
Also the 'Unilink' routes which are all operated by liveried dual door E400MMC.
Southampton had a lot of funding for Euro 6 upgrades (but didn't impose a CAZ)so older E400 & newer Scania D/deck upgraded.
Older non euro 6 Scania Omnideckers (+ other vehicles) used on school routes and route 5 - which is outside Southampton.
That is the general pattern, there's inevitably odd exceptions.
As far as I can tell? there appear to be no height or length restrictions on any of the main routes?
Single door 'deckers are usually to be found on the out of town routes 1,2, 3, 4,9 12 but can be found at times on city routes.
Totton operate the 8, 9, 11, 12, 17, PRH, 35,36,39, H1, H2, T1, T2 & part of 4.
Eastleigh operate 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 16, 18, QC, part 4, all Unilink + most of the school routes.
Lymington operate 6.

baza585

4 is mixed single/double
5 mostly double - usually older Scanias (route is outside Southampton) but the odd single.
6 mostly double - allocation is from Lymington, so the odd Morebus liveried vehicle.
7 mixed
8 usually single deck
9 mixed
12 mixed
16 mixed
Southampton had a lot of funding for Euro 6 upgrades (but didn't impose a CAZ)so older E400 & newer Scania D/deck upgraded.
Older non euro 6 Scania Omnideckers (+ other vehicles) used on school routes and route 5 - which is outside Southampton.
As far as I can tell? there appear to be no height or length restrictions on any of the main routes?
Single door 'deckers are usually to be found on the out of town routes 1,2, 3, 4,9 12 but can be found at times on city routes.
Eastleigh operate 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 16, 18, QC, part 4, all Unilink + most of the school routes.
Lymington operate 6.
Very useful summary. Thank you.

One very minor point, I believe the 35/36/39 are run from Eastleigh not Totton, with one morning journey run by Salisbury Reds.

Some of this may change from 19 February of course.

WibbleWobble

There are a few I can think of, namely in Romsey, Lymington and Hythe - however these only limit high-bridge deckers. The Romsey locals also need a single decker because I think there's an arch bridge on one of them.

nw1

Established Member
4 is mixed single/double
7 mixed
8 usually single deck
9 mixed
12 mixed
16 mixed
Lymington operate 6.

OK many thanks for that summary. Didn't know Eastleigh still ran some 4 journeys - all the ones I've seen recently have been Totton, often interworking with the 11 and 12. (However, a while back, probably pre-Covid, I noticed the 4 seemed to be mostly Eastleigh double deckers).

On another topic I saw today, heading up the Avenue, a Southern Vectis-branded single decker (sorry, no idea what model, but it looked a bit like the former Unilink single-deckers). A 58 registration, but looked surprisingly shiny. Wonder if this is destined for Bluestar?

83G/84D

Established Member
I saw several ex London Geminis at Eastleigh today with Bluestar branding and fleet numbers in the 69xx range.
Anyone know what these are being used on?

It would look like they have come from Go NorthEast.

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
Lymington operate 6.
I noticed earlier in the week that one Eastleigh vehicle did an 8. It was (IIRC) a 4 which arrived Southampton sometime between 0900-1000 and then went on to work an 8.

Not sure if this is usual, or a school holiday oddity?

fgwrich

Established Member
I saw several ex London Geminis at Eastleigh today with Bluestar branding and fleet numbers in the 69xx range.
Anyone know what these are being used on?

It would look like they have come from Go NorthEast.
The have indeed, photo of the lineup on Flickr (not my photo - the blue fronts applied over the GNE Red):

Status
Not open for further replies.