• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blyth & Tyne MRC Exhibition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Would like to have gone to that but was at the other end of the country. Round Tree Sidings looking particularly impressive, especially with the Metro. Bought a kit for one of those a while back but it has been sitting in its box for a while now.

Not sure if you noticed but was there a trade stand from Dave Alexander there? He sells the kits for the Metro but when I bought mine he said that it would probably be the last lot. Any idea if he was selling some?

sprinterguy

Established Member
You've taken some excellent photos there GNER 373, it can be so difficult to take a good photo at model railway exhibitions where often the level of the lighting, the height of the layouts and the movement of the trains themselves all conspire against the photographer; not to mention the diminutive size of everything to be photographed!

I notice that there was an extremely strong North East/Yorkshire bias to the layouts being displayed, which was very good to see, and I had no idea there were so many out there, though I have seen a number of them myself at exhibitions in the past.

I'm also very pleased to see that there is a depiction in model form of the old Harton electric railway which used to ply its' trade between Westoe Colliery and the staiths in South Shields, someone's clearly gone to a lot of effort kitbuilding or scratchbuilding the various industrial locomotive types that would have been seen in real life.

It looks to me that the "Bank Foot" TW Metro layout is still a work in progress, with catenary for the Metrocars being a noteable omission at the moment, but I think that the model of the Metro station shelter is a fantastic piece of work and I'd look forward to seeing the layout in the future once all the work is done.

GNER 373

Hi there, thanks for the comments!

Alexander Kits were indeed there but haven't done Metro Cammell Units for some time, shame because I'd have snapped their hands off for one!

As for the photos, a lot of the quality comes from the venue, very bright and open. I took it with a different camera to the one I usually use (one from work!) which name escapes me, but the battery's went between the Winter Wonderland and the London Underground layout, the final pics were taken with my iPhone and those have came out very well!

It was a biased exhibition but enjoyable for a north easterner like me, the Bank Foot layout was especially good to see. It was a work in progress as you say with quite a bit of work left to do. The MRC recently moved premises so the layout wasn't finished in time but the station and rolling stock was to a very realistic high standard. It's certainly an exhibition worth visiting if your ever thinking of heading this way. Already looking forward to next years!

Status
Not open for further replies.