• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyGregs

Hi guys,

I am not a small lad and have seen 30 BMI as being excessive and could be rejected. This isn’t on the application so wasn’t aware, are they going to not take me on due to being overweight?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Rejected for what?

It depends entirely on whatever the medical practictioner says when you have your medical. 30 BMI alone wouldn't be cause to reject you, plenty of people on the railway that must have a BMI of 30 or above. However, if you were unable to carry out your duties as a result of being physically unfit, or restricted in mobility due to your weight, then that would obviously mean you were not fit to do whatever job you applied for.

MattyGregs

Rejected for being overweight? That’s not gonna happen unless impacts ability to do job?
I have literally no known health issues.

lammergeier

Never known anyone fail a medical on BMI grounds alone and trust me I work with some big, big chaps.

Twotwo

When I went I think 34 was the cut off point and by cut off point I mean they just tell you not to eat junk and eat better so you will be absolutely fine.

The One

If you can climb in and out of a train cab with no issues then no need to worry

Sly Sloth

We’ve had a couple of enormous trainees come through recently….as said above they’ll make sure you’re fit for the job not fit to run a marathon

ComUtoR

Established Member
I can definitely do this!

Have you actually done it ?

Weird to ask but one of the checks that is done during my TOCs traction training is that you can get into the cab from ground level. It's quite an eye-opener the first time you see a train from the ground.

BMI requirement was 29 when I first joined but I think this has since been removed or has been downgraded to 'guidance'

Forum post from 2013

Last edited:

MattyGregs

I meant rejected for what job - as there are many jobs on the railway, obviously. I see you mean Train Driver, more than likely.
Sorry it’s for conductor

I
Have you actually done it ?

Weird to ask but one of the checks that is done during my TOCs traction training is that you can get into the cab from ground level. It's quite an eye-opener the first time you see a train from the ground.

BMI requirement was 29 when I first joined but I think this has since been removed or has been downgraded to 'guidance'

Forum post from 2013
I would assume I could do it. Maybe I can’t. I haven’t tried. What does it entail?

DanNCL

Established Member
I had avoided applying for any safety critical job on the railway for exactly the same reason - I won’t disclose my BMI other than that it’s above the limit given in the job descriptions. I could climb in and out of a train from ground level a few years ago when I did work experience at Heaton, but honestly wouldn’t know if I still could now or not, although I am as active, if not perhaps even more active now, as I was back then. I am also asthmatic and take anti depressants (which don’t cause drowsiness), so even if my BMI wasn’t an issue I’m still not sure I’d pass a medical, but I’d like to know what people who work on the railway think.

I would assume I could do it. Maybe I can’t. I haven’t tried. What does it entail?
It will depend on the train, some types are easier to get in and out of from track level than others. It looks difficult but isn’t that bad once you’ve got the hang of it. I hope this photo will make it a bit clearer as to what’s expected. The yaw damper can’t be stepped on whilst climbing in and out of the cab.
F94300D6-8E5D-4512-93DF-7C635BB61A2C.jpeg

ComUtoR

Established Member

As Dan said, it's not difficult but a lot different to what people expect. Especially from ground level.

Same with walking a mile and a quarter on ballast. Sounds easy but ballast is a nightmare !

MattyGregs

As Dan said, it's not difficult but a lot different to what people expect. Especially from ground level.

Same with walking a mile and a quarter on ballast. Sounds easy but ballast is a nightmare !
What is the issue with getting into a cab? Just getting actually up into it?

I do a lot of walking so would hope to be able to do the mile and a quarter

ComUtoR

Established Member

Nothing major. As I said, it isn't difficult.

Cab doors and cab entry steps really aren't ergonomic. They are very easy to trip on and shockingly easy to fall out of.

As always, the railway is very risk averse. Things like getting into and out of the cab form part of the overall risk assessment.

A bit like typing and repetitive strain. It's just another thing the railway takes into account.

Last edited:

I do a lot of walking so would hope to be able to do the mile and a quarter

As @ComUtoR says, its not difficult - certainly at platform level obviously, but you'll need a certain amount of upper body strength to pull your self up into the cab from track level

TreacleMiller

This is a conversation about a non issue. My bmi is higher than 30 and nobody blinked when checking my weight.

Youll be tested for general balance and mobility, nothing more from a BMI perspective. I suspect if you were 40+bmi that might be different.

Amnesiac

Had a medical today and my BMI wasn’t even mentioned, just took my height and weight. Wouldn’t worry about this unless it’s excessively high like 40+ as mentioned above!

Status
Not open for further replies.