• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bordrestaurant on EC 9 between Cologne and Zurich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve4031

I am putting together my itinerary for my trip for next Summer. I am curious about EC 9 because it follows the traditional route along the Rhine. The notes for this train indicate that there is a bordrestaurant. I did a mock booking and could not determine from the train diagram where the restaurant car is. Is there at seat service on this train? Or is the dining car simply not listed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
I am putting together my itinerary for my trip for next Summer. I am curious about EC 9 because it follows the traditional route along the Rhine. The notes for this train indicate that there is a bordrestaurant. I did a mock booking and could not determine from the train diagram where the restaurant car is. Is there at seat service on this train? Or is the dining car simply not listed?
This shows the planned formation for this timetable period: https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=DB&kategorie=EC&cislo=9&nazev=&rok=2022

In UK vehicle type terms, it shows as 8 x TSO, RUB, 3 x FO (one of which is one of SBB's fabulous panoramic vehicles). It's all SBB stock, including the restaurant.

dazzler

According to the relevant page on the excellent resource that is Vagonweb, the train in question is formed of Swiss stock with a dining car at the rear of second class/in front of first class. That page also gives a link to the SBB-CFF-FFS web page containing menus, etc.

Veteran Member
The RC is "fluid" seating in the traditional manner so non reservable.

DanielB

Is there at seat service on this train?
No there isn't. You're only served at your table in the restaurant car, but be aware that it has Swiss prices also in Germany (though you can pay in Euro in Germany).

Did the trip myself last summer, from Köln to Basel, in the "famous" coach 263 (the 1st class Swiss panoramic car) which is really worth it on this route. Make sure to reserve a seat on the left hand side (when travelling southbound) for the best views. Although its still a trip full of stunning scenery when you have the same bad luck I had, being a reversed coach resulting in being seated at the right hand side. Though the windows are large enough, so even then you can enjoy the views.

On Moderation
No there isn't. You're only served at your table in the restaurant car, but be aware that it has Swiss prices also in Germany (though you can pay in Euro in Germany).

Did the trip myself last summer, from Köln to Basel, in the "famous" coach 263 (the 1st class Swiss panoramic car) which is really worth it on this route. Make sure to reserve a seat on the left hand side (when travelling southbound) for the best views. Although its still a trip full of stunning scenery when you have the same bad luck I had, being a reversed coach resulting in being seated at the right hand side. Though the windows are large enough, so even then you can enjoy the views.
The alternative is to get yourself a seat in the Bordrestaurant and enjoy a meal whilst threading your way down the Rhine valley.

Steve4031

Thank you for the information. I was thinking that there would be a panorama car on this train. I rode in a similar car between Innsbruck and Zurich in August 2021. That was a nice ride.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Thank you for the information. I was thinking that there would be a panorama car on this train. I rode in a similar car between Innsbruck and Zurich in August 2021. That was a nice ride.
There is! Read post #5 again.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

The Swiss EC6-9 generally offer at seat service from the Restaurant car in First class only.

dutchflyer

Established Member
In german IC/ICE those seated in 1st can ask the conductors to get some food/drink items for them-at seat service. In Germany the staff will be German/DB. Fairly often the conductors will pass by and look for/ask for ´any wishes´. I guess it some may also be angling for some extra tips, it is not free at all. In normal DB-ICE this is very common. Plus that all normal 1st cl. tickets come with free seat-reservations, often done last minute and hence not shown anymore on the tiny screens for that.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Well, I was in first class on my trip. But no sign of at seat service. Had to walk to the restaurant car myself to buy a drink.

I did say generally, on the EC6-9 operated by SBB it’ll depend how busy the restaurant car is and how many staff they have wether it’s offered or not.

Steve4031

Thank you for the information. The links are quite helpful. I suspect the EC trains are relegated to a somewhat lesser status than ICEs so staffing and service might be more hit or miss on these trains.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Thank you for the information. The links are quite helpful. I suspect the EC trains are relegated to a somewhat lesser status than ICEs so staffing and service might be more hit or miss on these trains.

In this case it’s probably rather due to being a Swiss restaurant car with Swiss staff and different staffing levels and service concepts.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I think he EC9 and similar numbered services used to travel between Brussels and or Amsterdam, Via Koln and the classic Rhine Route to Basle and beyond, to Zurich, Chur, Bern and Interlaken. I travelled on them at various times and I think depending on origin and destinations, they used a mix of Belgium, DB and Swiss carriages, including the panorama car. I was in first class and the DB crew who seemed to be prominent, did come along asking if anyone wanted any food or drink, it was never a problem.

I think they were named trains, Vauban, Iris, Rembrant. I don't they run quite the same way now. Anyway enjoy your trip.

Veteran Member
I think he EC9 and similar numbered services used to travel between Brussels and or Amsterdam, Via Koln and the classic Rhine Route to Basle and beyond, to Zurich, Chur, Bern and Interlaken. I travelled on them at various times and I think depending on origin and destinations, they used a mix of Belgium, DB and Swiss carriages, including the panorama car. I was in first class and the DB crew who seemed to be prominent, did come along asking if anyone wanted any food or drink, it was never a problem.

I think they were named trains, Vauban, Iris, Rembrant. I don't they run quite the same way now. Anyway enjoy your trip.
The Brussels services ran via Strasbourg-Luxembourg surely?

Beebman

A railway vlogger called The Geordie Travels has posted a 20-minute video of a trip he made last April on EC9 from Hamburg to Basel:

Join me on a stunning trip covering almost the entire length of Germany as we travel from the northern city of Hamburg to the Swiss border city of Basel. We’ll be in 1st class. The journey offers some of the best scenery that Germany has.

At 6:15 he enters the restaurant car and shows some views of it but he only goes in there to buy a coffee and a croissant to take back to his seat.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The Brussels services ran via Strasbourg-Luxembourg surely?
Yes Mia Culpa, I wondered who would be first to spot that. !! :wub:

The First journey I did, indeed, went Brussels via Arlon, Luxembourg, Strasbourg etc then onto Bale SNCF Platforms, where some carriages were detached, we were shunted backwards, then propelled forwards by a little but fast and strong electric loco, which to the Basle SBB Platforms were we connected onto the rear of a Swiss Train for the onward journey Via Bern and infact onto Brig.

The other two journeys I subsequently did were from Amsterdam via Koln & the Rhine valley and then onto Basle SBB via the German Station first.

Steve4031

My first International train ride in Europe was from Amsterdam to Basel on the Rembrandt in 1990. I remember eating lunch in the dining car as we pulled into Cologne. That was a spectacular moment. I enjoyed the ride along the Rhine too.

Established Member
Currently on EC8 in the opposite direction. Certainly no at seat service in first, but the restaurant car is fairly quiet. It seats a maximum of 56 people, curiously in 8 rows with 5 seats one side and 2 the other, which alternate through the coach.

The dining car chap is on his own doing both the restaurant and serving the few that come for coffee etc. Meanwhile two DB conductor types are simply travelling passenger it seems.

Either people aren't hungry, or have seen the prices. Main meals €19.50 to €23.50, small beer €5.60, large €6.60. Nevertheless sitting in a dining car watching the world pass by is the best way to travel.

Last edited:

duesselmartin

Established Member
Swiss dining cars are generally more expensive than German ones. I believe the EC dining car is also Swiss operated within Germany.

Established Member
Here is EC9 arriving at Mainz today. 12 coaches with first at the rear. Restaurant busy, as was the observation coach but still plenty of seats.

20221102_124302.jpg

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Swiss dining cars are generally more expensive than German ones. I believe the EC dining car is also Swiss operated within Germany.
Yes - this works both ways, with DB operated buffets generally keeping their cheaper German prices even in Switzerland.

DanielB

Yes - this works both ways, with DB operated buffets generally keeping their cheaper German prices even in Switzerland.
Not really: I used the buffet in German ICEs in Switzerland last summer and actually paid more in Swiss Franc than the price in Euro would be. Despite the euro/Franc exchange rate was almost 1:1.

Maybe tax rates played a role as well. Those also made a difference in border crossing tram lines. (An RVL 1/TNW 1 ticket on route 8 from Basel to Weil am Rhein was CHF 4.40 towards Germany and EUR 3.80 towards Switzerland)

DEE-DE

I've found that the dining car can actually get fairly full on some sections on these trains.
However, unlike some previous advice, it is actually possible to reserve a seat in the restaurant car. Cost at SBB is CHF5 (a physical ticket though, need to order by phone or at a station). This comes with a CHF5 discount in the restaurant.
The same is also bookable at DB (or any other European ticket office should be able to to it) with tariff code 30. Cost in 2019 was €4.20 (might've gone up) with €3 towards your meal. Currently paying in Euro is slightly cheaper as on the menu CHF = € right now.
Booking these reservations is only possible for certain sections of the route though, you can book Hamburg to Cologne, Cologne to Mannheim and Mannheim to Zurich.

Status
Not open for further replies.