• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Botanic Gardens Hull - Turntable information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Else

Hi. I am new to this group and I hope someone can help. I am looking into the 60ft turntable that was installed at Botanic Gardens Hull in 1955. I think it was a Cowans Sheldon one but I don't think it was new when installed at Botanic Gardens. Has anyone any Idea on where this came from?
This table went to the South Devon Railway and is now at the North Norfolk Railway. We know the recent history but i am keen to know when it was made and if anyone can give a number, that would be great.

Many thanks
Robert

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
Welcome to the forum :)
Can I suggest that you edit your title to something like 'Botanic Gardens Hull - Turntable Information' ?
There is a wealth of information out there somewhere and 'Turntable' will certainly fire up interest from at least a few.
I can only offer what is in the Turntable Survey of the Railway Heritage Register On-line, which you seem to have already.
http://www.tt.rhrp.org.uk/ts/turnInfo.asp?Ref=30
Ex Hull Botanic Gardens Shed. Installed at Hull in 1955. Purchased from Network Rail for £1. Stored, awaiting planning permission for installation at Buckfastleigh. Still in storage May 2015. Sold to North Norfolk Railway 2016 and moved to Holt. Photo shown at Buckfastleigh

Ploughman

Established Member
Looking at a copy of the NERA's booklet "Servicing the North Eastern Railways locomotives"
http://www.ner.org.uk/
There is a table listing detail of all the NER's T/Tables.
There were 4 at Botanic Gardens and only 1 was a 6oft.
Sited in the Loco yd and a Cowans.
Built 1913.Cost £730 Moved to Botanic from Hessle in 1935.

That seems like it could be the one you want.
The 1955 date could be wrong but so might I.

eastdyke

Established Member
@Robert Else @Ploughman
The Cowans Sheldon archive is held by Cumbria CC.
It seems that Cowans built a turntable for NER, Hull in 1913. Nothing for Hessle but the address details could have been truncated.
There is 1 roll held at the Archive Centre in Carlisle under reference DB 40/D/2916-2918, titled
'60’ engine turntable built for North Eastern Railway, Hull' 1913.
[DB 40 is the Company Reference given by the Archive Centre, D is drawing.
2916-2918 may be relevant to the turntable itself. There is an alternative reference of 7173A.]

I found the Archive entry by using the search term: 'turntable hull'

http://www.archiveweb.cumbria.gov.u...c=CalmView.Catalog&id=DB+40/D/2916-2918&pos=5

There is a very great quantity of Cowans Sheldon material in the Archive - time does not permit me to search for more!!

Status
Not open for further replies.