• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bought advance tickets with LNER a week before the fresh round of RMT strikes was announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I bought (and reserved seats) online for 2 passengers to travel from Kings Cross to York (and return) on 16th March a few weeks ago. A week later, the RMT announced a new round of strike dates - including the 16th March

What are my options please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
An updated briefing has yet to be issued, but I'd assume much the same as previous strikes:

Fee-free refund or change of journey (though you'd still need to pay any difference in fares) or you'll be able to use the ticket the day before or a few days after without changing it, though preferably at around the same time.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I bought (and reserved seats) online for 2 passengers to travel from Kings Cross to York (and return) on 16th March a few weeks ago. A week later, the RMT announced a new round of strike dates - including the 16th March

What are my options please?
As a basic entitlement, regardless of strikes, you can always change an Advance ticket to another date or time by paying any difference in fare, plus any admin fee charged by the retailer in question.

If (as is likely to be the case) LNER advise against travelling on 16 March, you can obtain a full refund of your tickets if you decide no longer to travel. This applies even if your train is not cancelled. It is also likely that you will be allowed to use your ticket (without having to make any changes to it) on alternative services that meet your ticket's operator restrictions, either the day before, or up to several days after the strike.

If your train ends up being cancelled or retimed as a result of the strike, then above and beyond these rights, you are also entitled to take the next service complying with your ticket's operator restrictions.

If you are likely to arrive more than an hour late at your final destination by waiting for the next train that meets these restrictions, then your rights increase further. You become entitled to require LNER to re-route you at the earliest opportunity, including on other operators such as Grand Central if relevant. Alternatively, you can choose to have your ticket re-issued for another date of your convenience (which could be beyond the couple of days where there is general ticket acceptance) without paying anything extra.

You can of course decide to still travel on 16 March - there will be services, albeit running to a significantly reduced timetable, likely with first departures no earlier than 07:30 and last arrivals no later than 18:30.

Really it therefore depends on what you would like to do. You can travel on that day, or (likely) travel on another day or get a refund.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Cheers guys

Even if LNER did run a service, there are no SouthEastern services on my line on strike days so I wouldn't be able to travel on the 16th. I would like to go on the 17th as I had planned a long weekend away. I would rather not have to cancel as I don't know when the next opportunity for time off will arise and we've paid for the hotel (but flexi, so would get a refund if necessary)

I'll leave it a few days in case the strikes get called off, but won't hold my breath!

Status
Not open for further replies.