• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR Logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
One of the (few) nice things about living in Milton Keynes is the rather large BR logo above the entrance to the railway station, although they could do with replacing some of the bulbs inside.

Are there (m)any other examples of the iconic logo around the country?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2022

Swindon Signal Point building above the railway station has MASSIVE BR arrows on the top of the building that you can see all over Swindon, sadly the lights no longer illuminate it :(

ole man

Crewe still has the BR sign, and all the road signs have the BR sign, has do most towns I've been to.
It's because it's a sign that everybody recognises

Eagle

Established Member
I'd say 80 to 90% of stations have some kind of red logo sign outside them—and a good deal of those are post-privatization.

The red logo is a trademark of the DfT (hence they're okay to put it on roadsigns), whereas the navy blue circular one is a trademark of ATOC.

Darandio

Established Member
Doesn't more or less everyone who uses the railway see this every day, given the logo being on ticket stock?

transmanche

Established Member
What, other than outside most stations and on all roadsigns pointing towards them? :P
:D

A notable exception is London Overground stations; where it seems only the LO logo is shown, unless the station is also served by other NR services. (See below for the 'evolution' of signs at Camden Road.)

Although there are probably some stations that haven't had their temporary signs replaced yet.

D365

Veteran Member
The double arrow? Huntingdon still has a sign on the main T-Junction at Brampton Road/George Street :D It's the railway symbol, right?

Eagle

Established Member
Are we seriously going to sit here listing every station with a BR logo? (Hint: it would definitely be quicker to list stations without one.)

D365

Veteran Member
Haha, I realised just after posting that it's all over :oops:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
The double arrow logo is ubiquitous. Asking for examples of stations with it is a bit like asking for days of the week which end in the letter Y.

The gold one at Moor Street (photo courtesy of our own RPM) is particularly nice, though I do believe it's something of an anachronism? Did that style of signage not pre date BR?

Eagle

Established Member
Moor Street is currently decked out in GWR's white-on-black signage system, which being pre-nationalization predates the double arrow by a couple of decades at least. So yes, it is an anachronism.

Eagle

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the gold signage outside of stations was a thing too. May have been Great Central.

So that makes this somewhat of an anachronism too. (Would quote source but one isn't given on the site I found it on.)

Incidentally, it's interesting how Chiltern have kept using the NSE stylebook at Marylebone long after privatization, including painting every metal surface red.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
It's only relatively recently that all NSE signage at Aylesbury was replaced too. There is still a ton of old BR/NSE stuff on the Met line platforms that Chiltern serve though. I suspect that wont be replaced until it falls off by itself.

PR1Berske

Established Member
There's a station name.....plate(?).....at Lancaster with an Intercity swift logo on it ;)

Waddon

Does Gatwick Airport still have one painted on the roof? (or am I confusing it with another Airport station...)
p.s. in terms of recent use, I'm sure the new building at Cannon Street, just recently completed in the last few months, includes a couple of large BR logos, so it is obviously not going anywhere anytime soon...

tankmc

Gatwick airport has a rather nice BR red logo on the roof of the station. You can see it on google maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.