• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BR Photos from 90s and early 00s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I thought that it was such a shame that there are so many great railway photographs hidden away in our house, so with my Dad's permission, I am beginning to upload them all (10 new pictures every Monday) to my Fotopic.

The first ten can be found here:
http://gizmogle.fotopic.net/c1582826.html

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gizmogle

Established Member
What is that stock about? I've never seen it before. It's rather colourful.

I cannot find my old 90s photos, same really had tonnes of bloody grid photos of cab etc, all those memories need found.

Gizmogle

Established Member
Nope! Me neither! There's also a few liveries I've seen in the pictures that I don't recognise.

I've got some good crash photos to go up sometime.
I'll be updating this thread every Monday when I put new photos up, so watch this space :)

Gizmogle

Established Member
It is. I'm always really disappointed that I missed the days of loco haulage.

Darandio

Established Member
I was around long enough to realise it was there, the problem was I never appreciated it as much as I should have. Can vaguely remember being hauled in MK1 Transpennine stock as a child, would imagine it was a 47 but wouldn't have a clue. Final memory was the last 47 Virgin Crosscountry runs through Hett gates.

I can remember 47s on cross country and mail, i can remember an NSE 47 at NCL aswell but i'll have a look round in my old number books to remember it. postal 08s at NCL bay platforms. I loved the 90s was a great decade for me not just for grids but other stuff.....mainly grids lol non of this rancid tug stuff.

me123

Established Member
See, my first train was a 320 (I think...) :( But I do remember a 303 at least 8)

I always saw this when I see old shots, but I can't beleive how old fashioned everything looks, even from the early '90s when I was born! Makes me feel old :(

was only 18 years ago since '90 nowt to feel old about....kinda funny how the rail system has declined to nuthin but plastic units and mostly foreign made stuff, what ever happened to good old british engineering....probs bought out like the railways.

Last edited:

EE Type 3

Established Member
was only 18 years ago since '90 nowt to feel old about....kinda funny how the rail system has declined to nuthin but plastic units and mostly foreign made stuff, what ever happened to good old british engineering....probs bought out like the railways.

Most 'British stuff' was unrealiable, non-standard and costs a small fortune to maintain. 66s are cheap and ready to use, need little maintainence and can be thrown away once they are finished with.

Nostalgia, mmmm 8)

33s on Shrewsbury - Cardiffs, 37s up the coasts, leccies on WCML 8)

And of course 150s to Pwllheli!! :shock::|

rail-britain

Established Member
I was lucky enough to live within view of Barrhead station in the late 1980s
At the time Glasgow - Carlisle services were still operated by locos (mostly Class 47/4) and either Mark 1 or Mark 2a coaches
Also, WCML services operated via Kilmarnock, giving some unusual locos and workings from time to time

Equally, when Class 156s were introduced they used Glasgow - Carlisle for testing purposes, and I managed to see almost all the Scottish units as they were accepted!

I remember seeing the Pilkington rake a few times at Carlisle
I then moved to Aberdeen and for the next three years observed the transition from Class 47/7s to 156s, and then finally 158s, as well as the Aberdeen - Inverness transition from Class 47/4s to 156s, then back to loco haulage, and then finally a mix as 158s finally arrived
Again, this also resulted in seeing some strange locos as some had to temporarily allocated to Eastfield and Inverness

BJMorley

My first train was a VT HST!! But the one I remember the most was a VT 47 on the track closest to the path on the bridge just before TB bus Depot and Derby Evening Telegraph Printers (or the old MR Signalling Works) just before Derby Station.
Brandon

laseandre

Established Member
Early Class 168?

The black strips are the opening windows, with the rest of them washed out in the sun?

Gizmogle

Established Member
Been busy with college and stuff, so my Fotopic hasn't really been getting updated much recently.

But today I scanned another album in (another 5 to go!) and uploaded another 10 pictures.
I've moved the already scanned photos to my computer, so it'll be much quicker and easier to update. So every Monday for more delicious BR photos.

This week's rather delayed collection:
http://gizmogle.fotopic.net/c1600422.html

Spaceflower

Established Member
Most 'British stuff' was unrealiable, non-standard and costs a small fortune to maintain. 66s are cheap and ready to use, need little maintainence and can be thrown away once they are finished with.

Thrown away? Bit like eveything else made nowadays, we are living on top of our own waste, but wait...............we could mine it!

How will geologists of the future explain red, white, blue soft rock layers with intermittent strands of what looks like a ...........t, e, s, c, o

Status
Not open for further replies.