• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford Southern Gateway Station

MarkyT

Established Member
Having the express services miss Bradford would go against everything Bradford is currently fighting for and desperately needs.
But equally every notional NPR service calling at Bradford en route is probably overkill so if the new fast line had gone near but bypassing Bradford, a proportion of services peeling off to serve Interchange and either terminating or reversing to Leeds would have been a positive benefit to the city, just as electrifying and some speeding up of the existing Calder Valley route would.
The layout at the Interchange is still a mess. Anything waiting to depart from platform one or two can’t leave until the train coming in off the Halifax line has gone into platforms three or four.
No matter how many tracks and parallel crossovers are added, that's a fundamental constraint of the flat throat junction configuration. Recent layout changes have at least provided an extra crossover on the Halifax line at Ripley Jn and a little extra parallelism in the throat closer to the platform ends at Mill Lane Jn. These allow a train in #1 to depart towards Halifax at the same time as a Leeds arrival or departure in #2, #3 or #4. A Halifax departure can also take place from #2 at the same time as a Leeds arrival or departure in #3 or #4. Making full use of the three-track throat, you can also have parallel arrivals from Halifax and Leeds into #1 and #2 or #3 simultaneously while a Leeds departure takes place from #4. I don't think there's sufficient space on the approach to Interchange for a fancy flyover to further reduce conflicts as mooted for the new HS2/NPR terminus at Manchester Piccadilly for reversing NPR trains.
It might only be an extra two/three minute delay but the amount of times they have reconfigured the layout you would have expected these issues to have been sorted.
I think it still makes sense for most through workings from west to east to reverse in #3 or #4 by default for least conflict on subsequent departure towards Leeds, with east to west using #1 and #2. I'd tend to give the incoming crossing moves priority over conflicting departures towards Halifax and add a bit of pathing time for east to west trains to mitigate any unplanned late-running conflicts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorksLad12

Established Member
Why not just come off the current line near Laisterdyke, run on an overhead/viaduct line along Leeds Road, then build a new station on the site of Bradford Exchange? No need for a reversal that way.

Yes, I jest - but it's no dafter than some of the ideas I've seen...

Bantamzen

Established Member
Surely having express services spending less time in Bradford is exactly what the Council is aspiring for!
Actually no. The council are aspiring for a major redevelopment of the area around St James making the whole area a new "Gateway" into the city centre, which might facilitate trains not needing to call at the Interchange if the avoiding line could be re-opened & a new station built (a big if!). Its not yet clear what exactly would occupy the area that is mostly light industrial at the moment, most artist impressions seem to imply office space but how that would complete with the recent explosion of office space 9 miles to the east is not clear.

Aside from that, the other problem with this aspiration is that the area around St James is uphill from both the city centre and the Interchange, across one of the busiest roads in the area. Which kind of flies in the face of the direction the city centre has moved with the building of the Broadway and soon to open Darley Street market, i.e. having the centre more tightly focused & pedestrianised around the basin of the city rather than spread out up the hill towards Godwin Street & John Street further up the hill. I suspect in the long run any redevelopment will end up being mainly more light industrial, logistics etc given the close proximity of the main roads in and out of the city. In which case Bradford Gateway station will not be needed, which I suspect will be the end result.

Neptune

Established Member
Actually no. The council are aspiring for a major redevelopment of the area around St James making the whole area a new "Gateway" into the city centre, which might facilitate trains not needing to call at the Interchange if the avoiding line could be re-opened & a new station built (a big if!). Its not yet clear what exactly would occupy the area that is mostly light industrial at the moment, most artist impressions seem to imply office space but how that would complete with the recent explosion of office space 9 miles to the east is not clear.

Aside from that, the other problem with this aspiration is that the area around St James is uphill from both the city centre and the Interchange, across one of the busiest roads in the area. Which kind of flies in the face of the direction the city centre has moved with the building of the Broadway and soon to open Darley Street market, i.e. having the centre more tightly focused & pedestrianised around the basin of the city rather than spread out up the hill towards Godwin Street & John Street further up the hill. I suspect in the long run any redevelopment will end up being mainly more light industrial, logistics etc given the close proximity of the main roads in and out of the city. In which case Bradford Gateway station will not be needed, which I suspect will be the end result.
All this shows is the appalling lack of direction this joke of a council has. They just don’t know what to do. Gentrification around city hall trumps everything else. Now this ridiculous gateway station idea away from the city centre takes everything in a completely different direction.

Office space out of town by a gateway station? Don’t make me laugh. They can’t fill that small new office in the City Park in the gentrified area next to (shock horror) City Hall. Cue the council staff moving in there and leaving Britannia House empty and derelict as a result.

The Broadway has never been full, Darley Street market doesn’t make any sense (more Walford than a ‘major’ city centre). Then this idea of housing in a city village where the Kirkgate Centre is says of all for me.

Thank goodness I got away from the city of my birth. I shall never return unless forced (thank god Valley Parade’s location means I don’t have to go into the city centre as I approach from the north and park just off Canal Road).

As I say, Bradford City Council is working very hard at trying to get relegated to Town status.

Bantamzen

Established Member
All this shows is the appalling lack of direction this joke of a council has. They just don’t know what to do. Gentrification around city hall trumps everything else. Now this ridiculous gateway station idea away from the city centre takes everything in a completely different direction.

Office space out of town by a gateway station? Don’t make me laugh. They can’t fill that small new office in the City Park in the gentrified area next to (shock horror) City Hall. Cue the council staff moving in there and leaving Britannia House empty and derelict as a result.

The Broadway has never been full, Darley Street market doesn’t make any sense (more Walford than a ‘major’ city centre). Then this idea of housing in a city village where the Kirkgate Centre is says of all for me.

Thank goodness I got away from the city of my birth. I shall never return unless forced (thank god Valley Parade’s location means I don’t have to go into the city centre as I approach from the north and park just off Canal Road).

As I say, Bradford City Council is working very hard at trying to get relegated to Town status.
The "gateway" station makes even less sense when you consider that the old NCP car park on Hall Ings is being knocked down to allow better access to the Interchange from Centenary Square / Alhambra / Bradford Live, as well as the plans that have gone in for improvements to the Interchange concourse. To be honest I think this is all just a hangover from NPR when everyone wanted a Bradford station on it, but couldn't figure how to actually get it anywhere close to Bradford. If you think back, the "gateway" proposed site was one proposition for the NPR station.

But being fair (and only OT for a moment) the move of the market from John Street to Darley Street does make sense, getting it closer to the rest of the retail in the city. It might even generate a bit more business around it bridging the gap between there and Broadway.

Neptune

Established Member
The "gateway" station makes even less sense when you consider that the old NCP car park on Hall Ings is being knocked down to allow better access to the Interchange from Centenary Square / Alhambra / Bradford Live, as well as the plans that have gone in for improvements to the Interchange concourse. To be honest I think this is all just a hangover from NPR when everyone wanted a Bradford station on it, but couldn't figure how to actually get it anywhere close to Bradford. If you think back, the "gateway" proposed site was one proposition for the NPR station.
Exactly. And guess what, it’ll look pretty from City Hall. Meanwhile Forster Square continues to rot away in the other corner despite all those plans for it quietly forgotten about.

Unfortunately Bradford is a victim of the decline of the wool trade and lack of ambition which followed. While other cities in the north re-invented themselves to great success Bradford just continued on and when Leeds and Manchester really took off at the end of the last century Bradford failed to do likewise. 3 horrific riots around the city and as a result a huge decline of the city centre footfall not helped by the hole in the ground created around Forster Square was the final nail in the coffin. People just lost faith in Bradford and went to Leeds and Manchester instead. Pre 1996 we rarely went anywhere for shopping but Bradford. Wouldn’t go there now if it was the last place on earth.

All Bradford Gateway station will do is give people on the south side of the city a quicker escape route.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Exactly. And guess what, it’ll look pretty from City Hall. Meanwhile Forster Square continues to rot away in the other corner despite all those plans for it quietly forgotten about.

Unfortunately Bradford is a victim of the decline of the wool trade and lack of ambition which followed. While other cities in the north re-invented themselves to great success Bradford just continued on and when Leeds and Manchester really took off at the end of the last century Bradford failed to do likewise. 3 horrific riots around the city and as a result a huge decline of the city centre footfall not helped by the hole in the ground created around Forster Square was the final nail in the coffin. People just lost faith in Bradford and went to Leeds and Manchester instead. Pre 1996 we rarely went anywhere for shopping but Bradford. Wouldn’t go there now if it was the last place on earth.

All Bradford Gateway station will do is give people on the south side of the city a quicker escape route.
I honestly don't think it will get anywhere near anybody doing anything about it except making pretty artist impressions of it. The nearest anyone will get to seeing it from City Hall will be on a computer screen in an office...

But yeah Forster Square needs work, and annoyingly alongside plans for pedestrianising most of the roads in city involve re-routing bus routes from Market Street to Lower Kirkgate & Well Street, which would have been an ideal opportunity to create a new entrance on Lower Kirkgate that incorporated bus stands & better access to Broadway right where the old post office depot was. But no....

Chester1

Established Member
What is the proposed route for tram between Bradford and Leeds?

What about building southern gateway station, closing both Interchange and Forster Square and running tram trains from Southern Gateway across the city centre on street? Three tram train lines: Gateway - Leeds, Gateway - Ilkley and Ilkley - Leeds. A tram stop could be built next to Leeds station to free up platform capacity. How important are direct city centre long distance services if places were well linked by tram trains to both Southern Gateway and Leeds?

Bantamzen

Established Member
What is the proposed route for tram between Bradford and Leeds?

What about building southern gateway station, closing both Interchange and Forster Square and running tram trains from Southern Gateway across the city centre on street? Three tram train lines: Gateway - Leeds, Gateway - Ilkley and Ilkley - Leeds. A tram stop could be built next to Leeds station to free up platform capacity. How important are direct city centre long distance services if places were well linked by tram trains to both Southern Gateway and Leeds?
Any West Yorkshire tram network is barely beyond an aspiration at the moment, let alone final alignments and routes. So a gateway station built to replace both the Interchange and Forster Square would leave Bradford with something of a transport hole until at least the back end of next decade.

Chester1

Established Member
Any West Yorkshire tram network is barely beyond an aspiration at the moment, let alone final alignments and routes. So a gateway station built to replace both the Interchange and Forster Square would leave Bradford with something of a transport hole until at least the back end of next decade.

It could be built with a tram train line in mind i.e platforms on both the North-East and South-East curves. The former could designed for potential conversion to tram use if the tram network ever gets built. I certainly wouldn't advocate closing the statons and lines apart from for immediate conversion. As a long term solution it ticks a lot of boxes but with the downside of the station being outside city centre. If there were 10tph crossing city centre and suits le ticketing arrangements in place, would that matter?

Bantamzen

Established Member
It could be built with a tram train line in mind i.e platforms on both the North-East and South-East curves. The former could designed for potential conversion to tram use if the tram network ever gets built. I certainly wouldn't advocate closing the statons and lines apart from for immediate conversion. As a long term solution it ticks a lot of boxes but with the downside of the station being outside city centre. If there were 10tph crossing city centre and suits le ticketing arrangements in place, would that matter?
Until such a decision is ever made, and that's a long way off still, there really is no point doing it now. It would just sit barely used in an industrial estate.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It would take one hell of a spin doctor to sell Bradford residents on a "Gateway" station which would replace the existing city centre stations and be a mile outside of the commercial heart of the city...
Nobody would suggest closing Bristol Temple Meads and concentrating all the city's transport on Parkway. Yet Bradford is constantly treated as a problem to be solved. Central government wants to (if you'll pardon my French) p*** all over Bradfordians and tell them it's raining.

Chester1

Established Member
It would take one hell of a spin doctor to sell Bradford residents on a "Gateway" station which would replace the existing city centre stations and be a mile outside of the commercial heart of the city...
Nobody would suggest closing Bristol Temple Meads and concentrating all the city's transport on Parkway. Yet Bradford is constantly treated as a problem to be solved. Central government wants to (if you'll pardon my French) p*** all over Bradfordians and tell them it's raining.

I suggested closing them if a tram train is built. Bradford is a third smaller than Bristol and neither of its city centre stations is on a main line. Bristol Temple Meads is on an important CrossCountry route. A tram train is probably the only way of delivering the much coveted cross city link.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I suggested closing them if a tram train is built. Bradford is a third smaller than Bristol and neither of its city centre stations is on a main line. Bristol Temple Meads is on an important CrossCountry route. A tram train is probably the only way of delivering the much coveted cross city link.
It wasn't an exact comparison, granted. As for a "much coveted cross city link", coveted by who? Mostly enthusiasts, many of whom don't live in Bradford but like drawing lines on maps. Half a dozen electric buses would solve that problem for a fraction of the cost.

Chester1

Established Member
It wasn't an exact comparison, granted. As for a "much coveted cross city link", coveted by who? Mostly enthusiasts, many of whom don't live in Bradford but like drawing lines on maps. Half a dozen electric buses would solve that problem for a fraction of the cost.

I agree its mostly mentioned by enthusiasts but its been pushed by local government on and off over the years.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I agree its mostly mentioned by enthusiasts but its been pushed by local government on and off over the years.
Would that be the same local government that wants this "Gateway" station? Local Governments as we all know, are famous for never making stupid decisions or selling their constituents down the river for a vanity project... oh, wait.

There are many flaws with the Bradford cross-city link idea, but that's not what this thread is for. Both myself and others have pointed out those flaws in threads about the idea.

MichaelTrains

I'm sorry but these tram train ideas are useless.

What Bradford needs is better and faster connectivity.

Closing the Interchange and Forster Square and replacing them with slower tram trains is preposterous.

Bradford needs a new station or at the very least an upgrade to the current facilities at both which haven't improved since the 1990s.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I'm sorry but these tram train ideas are useless.

What Bradford needs is better and faster connectivity.

Closing the Interchange and Forster Square and replacing them with slower tram trains is preposterous.

Bradford needs a new station or at the very least an upgrade to the current facilities at both which haven't improved since the 1990s.
Whilst I totally agree that closing the main stations would be ludicrous, the concept of tram-trains on the Bradford - Leeds remains just that, a concept as part of a wider aspiration of West Yorkshire to have it's own tram network. Even if the latter came into being there's no saying that it would even use the existing alignment. I'm sure there might be better alignments for any Bradford - Leeds tram that the current line, perhaps one that better serves somewhere like Armley and Pudsey en route. But this is still many years away from even being seriously discussed, let alone being planned and coated. So a gateway station would currently serve an industrial area, so would barely get used.

The Interchange access and concourse are planned to have major improvements in the coming years, so perhaps Northern / NR might want to consider improving the station and it's access alongside. And it goes without saying that the same is true for Forster Square, especially as much of the city centre will be paved off or traffic limited in a couple of years.

MarkyT

Established Member
The South Gateway concept reminds me somewhat of Beograd Centar, a huge new through station 2 km out of Serbia's capital city centre on the wrong side of a dual carriageway in a run-down area and connected to the city by a sole bus route running at a 40 minutes frequency. This replaced the traditional dead-end terminus right in the middle by the river and connecting with the entire network of trams, trolley and diesel buses with a big coach station next door. Centar, the name considered a joke by transport professionals and public alike is mostly refered to by the locality 'Prokop' by locals and has a vast concrete deck on top that was supposed to be developed, but has few facilities currently. None of the new metro, tram or bus improvements that were supposed to connect the new station better with the wider city have been built. Passenger numbers are thus very poor and the alternative station a further 3 km away to the west on the other side of the river in New Belgrade has become the de facto main station for the capital.

Member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts and a public transport expert, Vukan Vučić, labeled Prokop as the "most disastrous error in Belgrade transportation". He asserted that Prokop, in functional terms, is not a station at all and that, despite having been named Belgrade Centre, it is actually further from the city's centre than the old station was. He added that the location is a neglected, desperately bad choice and topographically inaccessible from all sides. As a result, commuters need almost 20 minutes to leave the station upon their arrival and have to travel for 3 to 4 km (1.9 to 2.5 mi) to downtown to reach other public transport routes as Prokop itself is not interconnected. Another member of the Academy, transport engineer Dušan Teodorović, also criticized the project. As none of the planned infrastructure has been built – urbanization and development of the neighborhood, numerous shops, hotels, excellent commuting connections, two metro lines, taxi station – Vučić maintains that the isolation of the location will directly bring to the further decrease in the number of railway passengers.
Contrast with Amsterdam where the Zuid station is being expanded for its eventual role as the city's International terminal for Eurostar/Thalys services. In that case, the vast surrounding office developments and myriad metro, tram and bus connections have been built over many years and are now well established. Significant journey time savings will accrue from this rerouting and only domestic services will remain at Amsterdam Centraal station once the project is complete.

ac6000cw

Established Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

I was a university student there in the late 1970's (and chose Bradford partly because I decided I liked the place, despite never having set foot there before I visited for the uni interview). It had decent city centre shops and entertainment and wasn't a soul-less 'big city', and I never regretted my choice.

But based on occasional visits to it since, despite considerable improvements to the train services over the decades, including electrification on the north side, the city centre has just gone steadily downhill. After my last visit about 6 months ago when I had a good walk around it, I was left thinking 'why would anyone want to come shopping here' when there are better/nicer places not far away? Honestly it felt like (not very upmarket) town centre shopping, not city centre standard.

So, sorry, but I think any notion that building a new station or railway line through Bradford is magically going to transform its prospects is just fantasy - I think its problems are way too deep seated. You'd be better off acknowledging today's reality, which is that it's a large suburb of Leeds, not a major commercial centre in it's own right, and planning public transport provision around that.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

I was a university student there in the late 1970's (and chose Bradford partly because I decided I liked the place, despite never having set foot there before I visited for the uni interview). It had decent city centre shops and entertainment and wasn't a soul-less 'big city', and I never regretted my choice.

But based on occasional visits to it since, despite considerable improvements to the train services over the decades, including electrification on the north side, the city centre has just gone steadily downhill. After my last visit about 6 months ago when I had a good walk around it, I was left thinking 'why would anyone want to come shopping here' when there are better/nicer places not far away? Honestly it felt like (not very upmarket) town centre shopping, not city centre standard.

So, sorry, but I think any notion that building a new station or railway line through Bradford is magically going to transform its prospects is just fantasy - I think its problems are way too deep seated. You'd be better off acknowledging today's reality, which is that it's a large suburb of Leeds, not a major commercial centre in it's own right, and planning public transport provision around that.
As someone who has lived in Bradford for most of my life (the clue is in the name), I'd agree that the city centre isn't a patch on what it used to be, but still a hell of a lot better than it was in the earlier part of this decade. Much of that can be attributed to successive councils wanting to make Bradford into another Leeds, and literally throttling the life out of the music scene here so they could try to attract higher brow retailers. Needless to say it didn't work. Ironically having worked in Leeds for almost a decade, it's decline is now well underway with the council there starting to do as much damage as Bradford councillors did. Even somewhere like Manchester is starting to get grubby. Bradford however is at last not trying to be Leeds any more, and starting to focus more on music, events and tourism with a more modest city centre planned for people who don't want to get ripped off in Leeds.

Its true that a gateway station will do nothing for this, and it won't happen. However if in the future West Yorkshire ever got a tram network, having a mass transit system operating through Bradford wouldn't hurt, and might help a modest amount of regeneration in the city. In the meantime instead of a new station, work on the two existing ones would be nice and would help improve footfall for sure.

As someone who has lived in Bradford for most of my life (the clue is in the name), I'd agree that the city centre isn't a patch on what it used to be, but still a hell of a lot better than it was in the earlier part of this decade. Much of that can be attributed to successive councils wanting to make Bradford into another Leeds, and literally throttling the life out of the music scene here so they could try to attract higher brow retailers. Needless to say it didn't work. Ironically having worked in Leeds for almost a decade, it's decline is now well underway with the council there starting to do as much damage as Bradford councillors did. Even somewhere like Manchester is starting to get grubby. Bradford however is at last not trying to be Leeds any more, and starting to focus more on music, events and tourism with a more modest city centre planned for people who don't want to get ripped off in Leeds.

Its true that a gateway station will do nothing for this, and it won't happen. However if in the future West Yorkshire ever got a tram network, having a mass transit system operating through Bradford wouldn't hurt, and might help a modest amount of regeneration in the city. In the meantime instead of a new station, work on the two existing ones would be nice and would help improve footfall for sure.
That's not strictly speaking true. At the time of the original plans for the Westfield (now known as Broadway) site, serious discussions about incorporating a new central station linking both lines as part of the build. Indeed there was a comprehensive campaign by businesses in the area to do so. The thinking being that a new, larger complex would attract more businesses, thus creating more jobs, and then increasing footfall and revenue. Most of the desire for a link was not about being able to go from point a to point b, but about creating an investment flow that might have rejuvenated the city's economy. It would also of course have made new rail journeys possible, which in turn could have helped with the city's chronic traffic problems.

But its all a moot point as it is never going to happen.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
A quick win would be to block off the arches outside Forster Square that currently attract the homeless.

A great "Welcome to Bradford" for any unsuspecting visitor to the city.

I can see that a through station replacing Interchange would have the advantages of reduced dwell times and eliminating conflicting movements. But as someone who regularly has to walk between the two stations, if this means that they become further apart, then this would not be beneficial.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Thing is, if you look at the Railway Clearing House map from 1913-ish, it shows the Midland wanting to run a line from Forster Square to a point south of Low Moor (allowing conections to Cleckheaton in one direction, Halifax in the other). But it would have passed between Exchange and Adolphus Street, so the earliest real opportunity to build a combined station would have been in the 1970s when Exchange was rebuilt, it wasn't on anyone's minds back 100 years ago. Conceiveably, a new station would have been built east of Exchange with the Exchange site being used for the bus station, but wouldn't have been easy to deliver. Building Interchange where they did, on the old goods yard, was.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
to focus more on music, events and tourism with a more modest city centre planned for people who don't want to get ripped off in Leeds.

For a while now I have though that Bradford should capitalize on exactly this!

A quick win would be to block off the arches outside Forster Square that currently attract the homeless.

A great "Welcome to Bradford" for any unsuspecting visitor to the city.

I can see that a through station replacing Interchange would have the advantages of reduced dwell times and eliminating conflicting movements. But as someone who regularly has to walk between the two stations, if this means that they become further apart, then this would not be beneficial.

Surely it would be better to remove the need to walk past the service entrance to the Midland Hotel and past those arches altogether ?

I.e. extend Bradford Forster Square all the way back to Lower Kirkgate!

As for making Bradford a through station it would certainly benefit everywhere else I can't see it making much difference to those boarding or alighting at Bradford!

MichaelTrains

Now this is definitely going ahead can this thread be moved to the main stations page?

Good to see government say the new four platformed station pledged at the Conservative Party Conference will increase rail capacity for the city of Bradford.

Also that they have acknowledged Bradford to have the worst rail connections of all major cities in Britain.

It's been a long time coming.

Happy days.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Now this is definitely going ahead can this thread be moved to the main stations page?

Good to see government say the new four platformed station pledged at the Conservative Party Conference will increase rail capacity for the city of Bradford.

Also that they have acknowledged Bradford to have the worst rail connections of all major cities in Britain.

It's been a long time coming.

Happy days.
I'm sorry this but this is far from happening, so please don't hold your breath.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
But where about's will this new station be ?
I would have thought it far too vague for that.
I agree!

The IRP does state this in relation to the Bradford Council plan:

A through station at or close to St James Market, now put forward as Bradford Council’s preferred location, would create journey time savings and facilitate wider regeneration, but would be further from the city centre than the current integrated bus-rail interchange, would be severed from the centre by a six-lane highway, and would be poorly connected to other local rail services,

Page 95

So I'll be suprised if its just that. Personally I think that proposal would be OK on an North to East chord as a seperate station from that of the Interchange.

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
But where about's will this new station be ?

I agree!

The IRP does state this in relation to the Bradford Council plan:

A through station at or close to St James Market, now put forward as Bradford Council’s preferred location, would create journey time savings and facilitate wider regeneration, but would be further from the city centre than the current integrated bus-rail interchange, would be severed from the centre by a six-lane highway, and would be poorly connected to other local rail services,

Page 95
I love the fact that Bradford Council’s own preferred location has more negatives than positives. Utterly inept.