• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Break of journey query

The_Train

Established Member
Just looking for a bit of advice. I think I know the answer to this but I am plotting a bit of a disjointed routing to kill 2 birds with one stone as an end of year outing.
The key aspect of the route is basically Stafford-Shrewsbury-Swansea-Cardiff-Manchester-Crewe-Stafford and to do this, the best way I have been able to find is with the following tickets:

Stafford-Shrewsbury Anytime Day Return
Heart of Wales Circular Rover
Crewe-Manchester - Off Peak Return

My query revolves around the journey from Cardiff to Manchester where I will use the Heart of Wales rover from Cardiff to Shrewsbury but would then want to use the portion of my Stafford-Shrewsbury Anytime Day Return to get from Shrewsbury-Crewe where I would break my journey. I would then use the Crewe-Manchester Off Peak Return to complete my journey to Manchester and then to get back to Crewe where I would then use the "unused portion" of my Shrewsbury-Stafford Anytime Day Return to get from Crewe-Stafford.

The question is, is it ok to break a journey on an Anytime Day Return, then go off on another ticket before returning back to the station where you broke your previous journey to resume that journey?

Hope this makes sense!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

realemil

Assuming you’re starting at Shrewsbury you will be fine. Just make sure you get the STA - SHR portion the correct way around (Shrewsbury - Stafford Return), or as a paper ticket as otherwise you might have problems if you try to use the outbound if the return got scanned already :D

The_Train

Established Member
Assuming you’re starting at Shrewsbury you will be fine. Just make sure you get the STA - SHR portion the correct way around (Shrewsbury - Stafford Return), or as a paper ticket as otherwise you might have problems if you try to use the outbound if the return got scanned already :D
Starting at the Mecca (Stafford) and heading to Shrewsbury via Crewe.

So my outbound journey on the Anytime will be Stafford to Shrewsbury via Crewe and the inbound will be Shrewsbury to Crewe where I break my journey (and head to Manchester on the off peak) and then resume my journey on this ticket from Crewe to Stafford

Last edited:

fandroid

Established Member
As long as your ticket allows break of journey, it doesn't matter what you do during that break.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The question is, is it ok to break a journey on an Anytime Day Return, then go off on another ticket before returning back to the station where you broke your previous journey to resume that journey?

I did exactly that on Sunday (on a Super Off Peak Return), popping to Exeter Central from St Davids and back for lunch before continuing. The guard didn't seem phased by it (it was on the same train so I showed both), I guess it's not unusual.

The_Train

Established Member
I did exactly that on Sunday (on a Super Off Peak Return), popping to Exeter Central from St Davids and back for lunch before continuing. The guard didn't seem phased by it (it was on the same train so I showed both), I guess it's not unusual.
Thanks for that, always reassuring to hear others have done it :)

Probably more of a reflection of my anxiety when it comes to making sure I have correct tickets whilst trying to come up with ways to keep ticket costs as low as possible