• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Breaking Journey on Return Portion - Several Days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
Hi all,

I can't tell if I'm going nuts or not, but I can't actually find confirmation online of this. (it's been a long day already!)

Background:
I'm making a return journey Swansea (SWA) - Grimsby Town (GMB) next month, travelling outbound on Thursday 22nd May. I'm working on the Friday, but will notionally be returning that day. Disregarding the fact I wouldn't actually be able to physically complete the journey on that day (I'm not after BoJ based on completing a journey), I was intending to spend the rest of the weekend with my parents in Nottingham (NOT), returning on the Sunday. Looking at the Routeing Guide, it seems my ticket would be valid via NOT based on maps BG+CB as long as I go via Lincoln (LCN).

Question 1: Am I permitted to BoJ the return portion of an Off-Peak Return (SVR) at a valid intermediate station over several days? (I ought to know the answer to this really)

Question 2: As it would seemingly take forever to travel GMB-LCN-NOT (assuming I leave the office at 17:00, I'd be arriving NOT at 21:27), are there any faster routes I could take from Grimsby into Nottingham whilst remaining on a valid route?
(I suppose I could always travel via Derby, a return to Nottingham from there wouldn't break me - but I want to know if this is possible on principle)

Many thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi all,

I can't tell if I'm going nuts or not, but I can't actually find confirmation online of this. (it's been a long day already!)

Background:
I'm making a return journey Swansea (SWA) - Grimsby Town (GMB) next month, travelling outbound on Thursday 22nd May. I'm working on the Friday, but will notionally be returning that day. Disregarding the fact I wouldn't actually be able to physically complete the journey on that day (I'm not after BoJ based on completing a journey), I was intending to spend the rest of the weekend with my parents in Nottingham (NOT), returning on the Sunday. Looking at the Routeing Guide, it seems my ticket would be valid via NOT based on maps BG+CB as long as I go via Lincoln (LCN).

Question 1: Am I permitted to BoJ the return portion of an Off-Peak Return (SVR) at a valid intermediate station over several days? (I ought to know the answer to this really)
Yes, you may break your return portion at any number of stations en-route, within the validity period of the ticket (one calendar month).

I'll leave the Routeing Guide issue for others to answer ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.