• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brexit: Eurostar to axe services and jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There were certainly scanners on at least one of the non-Eurostar platforms at Gare du Nord in early 2016. I didn't linger long enough to find out which trains they were being used for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
Eurostar gave the bluntest response when asked what the benefits of Brexit are

The operators of the famed channel tunnel train, the historic rail link between the British Isles and mainland Europe, aren't feel positive about Brexit. Since Britain began to prepare to exit the European Union, a plethora of parliamentary committees have been established to look into every detail. On Tuesday, the House of Lords EU Internal Market subcommittee published the evidence that had been submitted to them by Eurostar International Ltd. The submission formed part of the subcommittee inquiry into 'Brexit: future trade between the UK and EU in services'.

In response to a question regarding the benefits of leaving the EU to their company, Eurostar submitted this answer in writing: No. There are no benefits of growth opportunity that we could identify from leaving the EU.

They continued: As a cross-border operator, our fixed costs are already very high, and in many instances the business case is marginal. Any additional cost, small as it might seem, would only add to these costs and risks either raising prices for passengers or, if the market cannot bear such increases, making the operation unsustainable in its present form.

The submission was spotted by journalist Matthew Holehouse.

Source: Indy100

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenev...-uk-and-the-eu-in-services/written/43395.html

Last edited:

anme

Established Member

jon0844

Veteran Member
Eurostar might do well in the short term as more EU residents rush over here, and more British people rush the other way!

anme

Established Member
Eurostar might do well in the short term as more EU residents rush over here, and more British people rush the other way!

To be honest I expect far *fewer* citizens of other EU countries to come to the UK following the referendum. Why would someone move to a country that is openly hostile to them and where they would face an uncertain future? This will indeed be bad for Eurostar.

British people rushing the other direction is another matter!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I initially thought so too, but it seems that while some people are going home because the exchange rate means they're not earning as much as they did (and no doubt many are facing more hostility), there are still many people wanting to get a foot in the door, if only to keep their options open.

When there's a bit more certainty either way, it will be fascinating to see what happens. The key is going to be those who are here to earn and always planned to go home (and send money home, thus converting to Euros), and those who wanted to settle here for good.

I'm very happy to have dual nationality!

Last edited:

philjo

Established Member
To be honest I expect far *fewer* citizens of other EU countries to come to the UK following the referendum. Why would someone move to a country that is openly hostile to them and where they would face an uncertain future? This will indeed be bad for Eurostar.

British people rushing the other direction is another matter!

In the short term it appears that there are more european visitors to the UK as due to the recent change in the £/euro exchange rates the UK is cheaper at the moment.

anme

Established Member
In the short term it appears that there are more european visitors to the UK as due to the recent change in the £/euro exchange rates the UK is cheaper at the moment.

Do you have some evidence of this? The reports I've seen suggest the opposite, e.g. www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-a...european-union-business-leisure-a7417206.html

As a regular traveller between the UK and the rest of the EU, I have the strong impression that air and rail fares are cheaper than normal (in pounds), and I certainly find London hotel prices significantly cheaper than expected (again, in pounds). This is of course anecdotal evidence only.

However, I was really talking about immigration - i.e. people coming to live and work in the UK. I expect immigration from the rest of the EU to the UK to have fallen substantially since the referendum, and to continue to fall in the future.

Howardh

Established Member
It's gonna be interesting to find out how Brexit affects the airlines. At face value, probably very little, but I've no idea how the airlines benefit from cross-EU travel as opposed to in and out.

Will e-visas (if they ever take off) affect the number of tourists in and out? Well, unless they use it to stop people who have a criminal record for throwing an egg at Farage then the only real problem would be those who don't have an e-visa travelling on the spur of the moment. With Stirling low, how many from the low countries have decided to pop across to do dome shopping recently? If you can't get the visa almost instantly, could that prevent travel?

Could EU airports put on extra charges (landing charges for example) for UK aircraft? Are we going back to the two-bottles-of-wine duty free allowance, and would that stop the cheap-booze supermarket day trippers (Eurostar/ferries)??

Will we lose delay/canvellation benefits that are currently given to us by the EU?

6 months into Brexit I would have thought we'd be getting a bit of information about where it's heading.

On delay/cancellation rights, it will be up to the government what to do with these. They could be kept, tightened or relaxed post-Brexit. Solely a matter for one government rather the EU institutions.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
the only real problem would be those who don't have an e-visa travelling on the spur of the moment. With Stirling low, how many from the low countries have decided to pop across to do dome shopping recently? If you can't get the visa almost instantly, could that prevent travel?

It could, but I doubt it would. The US system allows you to apply and travel immediately provided your application doesn't refer, and for most people it won't. And once you've done one it's valid for a number of years without any need to change it.

Could EU airports put on extra charges (landing charges for example) for UK aircraft? Are we going back to the two-bottles-of-wine duty free allowance, and would that stop the cheap-booze supermarket day trippers (Eurostar/ferries)??

Yes, all that is possible but by no means certain.

Will we lose delay/canvellation benefits that are currently given to us by the EU?

Almost certainly - maybe we will come up with a fairer system more like Delay Repay based on what you actually paid for your flight? I agree with Michael O'Leary etc that it's unfair that he should have to cough up EUR 250 if you paid a fiver for your ticket - but equally if you paid ten grand for walk-up international business class[1] you really should be entitled to more money for non-delivery or inadequate delivery of a very expensive service.

6 months into Brexit I would have thought we'd be getting a bit of information about where it's heading.

My conclusion is that they haven't got a clue.

[1] Not out of my own pocket, but once (only) I have had this kind of price of ticket on a last-minute work trip, while under contract to a company that, unusually (but not totally unknown - I think German companies often do this), had a "business class only unless not possible regardless of cost" policy, most possibly for a couple of reasons - to maintain prestige and to allow staff to "hit the ground running" on arrival having slept vaguely properly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.