• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brexit matters

Doppelganger

Says who?

One could argue you can't be a true democracy unless you have referenda in issues and pass them by simple majority, but that would be equally facile.
Maybe we should look to the Swiss model then?

That said, the Swiss have all the data set out in front of them and when their is doubt as to whether the population was properly informed, then the votes can take place 2nd time with all the data presented in the open.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Maybe we should look to the Swiss model then?

That said, the Swiss have all the data set out in front of them and when their is doubt as to whether the population was properly informed, then the votes can take place 2nd time with all the data presented in the open.
As I said, it is just as facile a suggestion as insisting on PR as the "only true democracy".

Imagine what sort of country you'd live in if everything was passed by simple majority.

Doppelganger

As I said, it is just as facile a suggestion as insisting on PR as the "only true democracy".

Imagine what sort of country you'd live in if everything was passed by simple majority.
Quite. I don't need to imagine, I can see the reality and it isn't pleasant.

class ep-09

Why were we not given a referendum on the Maestricht Treaty. I mean one; not keep voting till we get it right. It's what cost John Major his job.

As for Brexit lies; the EU army keeps raising it's head. It's a pity Nigel Farage didn't realise how Germany had been neutered or perhaps he did. All those euros keeping Putin's war machine going.
What’s wrong with EU army ?

You would not have to be afraid of it if you part of it .

Perhaps it escaped your attention but you have not been given a vote on current government’s desire to join :

“On 1 February 2021, the UK government formally applied to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP), a trade pact between 11 countries: Japan, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Mexico, Chile and Peru.”

It is not only trade partnership but political too ( words : Comprehensive and Progressive ) .

UK will have no say in any of the rules of that partnership as they already exist .

So UK has to accept all of them - will you have a vote ?

No .

Does it have its own courts ( dipute resolution mechanism equivalent of ECJ )

Yes

Will UK have to obey it rulings ?

Yes

Time to cut the BS - UK is the first country stupid enough to put political , economical, scientific , educational and more , sanctions on itself in the history of the world.

Last edited:

Revilo

CPTPP is about trade though, what the EC was originally. CPTPP are not going to insist on free movement and becoming a United States of Europe which is what the EU wanted. One of the many benefits of Brexit is that we are free to enter into our own trade agreements.

RT4038

Established Member

Perhaps it escaped your attention but you have not been given a vote on current government’s desire to join :

“On 1 February 2021, the UK government formally applied to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP), a trade pact between 11 countries: Japan, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei, Mexico, Chile and Peru.”

It is not only trade partnership but political too ( words : Comprehensive and Progressive ) .

UK will have no say in any of the rules of that partnership as they already exist .

No .

Yes

Yes

Time to cut the BS - UK is the first country stupid enough to put political , economical, scientific , educational and more , sanctions on itself in the history of the world.
If this trade partnership turns into something that the population doesn't like, then we can have a referendum and leave. Perhaps some lessons can be learnt as to where that line is.

The Ham

Established Member
Mind you, there is also a school of thought that says that for a referendum to be unbiased, and so that nobody's vote is worth any more or any less than anyone else's, both the status quo and the change that's being offered need to be allowed a level playing field; therefore it's only fair that only a simple majority should be required. Opponents of a minimum threshold also argue that such a threshold can be insulting to supporters of the change because it tells them that their votes are worth less than those of supporters of the status quo, that it can lead to feelings of bitterness among supporters of the change if there is a simple majority in favour of the change but the requisite threshold isn't met (as happened in the 1979 Scottish devolution referendum), and that a minimum threshold can be a disincentive to vote if you support the status quo.

Which is why I suggested that there's a rule that if the vote is less than (say) 60:40 then there's another referendum within a given time period (say 4 years).

In the case of Brexit it would have removed the "fear" of a EU army as we'd have had a vote when there's a chance to know that it was actually happening.

Likewise the "fear" of Turkey joining and is seeing a lot of people coming here would have been reduced.

Such a follow on vote would reduce the pain of being on the losing side as you know you get another go if it's fairly close.

Yes you run the risk of having multiple votes on something, however that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's likely that there would have been a second Scottish Independence Vote by now, and by it being set could have reduced the support for the SNP. In that it wouldn't have been something that they could have used to argued for in elections against the English government which is refusing to let them have another one.

REVUpminster

If there is a Scottish referendum will Europhiles terms of 70% of electorate voting and more than 60-40 majority or is first past the post all the Scots need.
Why wasn't a referendum on Mastricht on those terms? What was the Irish turnout in their referendums.

Revilo

But you are happy with an 80 seat Tory majority based on only 43% of the vote?

I think this argument will just go in circles.

Incidentally, not that I want the BNP to have a say, but shutting down any opposing views has its own consequences.

After all, the fear of UKIP was enough to motivate the Tories to try and stem their influence and look how that turned out? Indeed, I think that we need moderate and sensible politics, but trying to shut down a particular stance isn't always the solution.

The argument isn’t going round in circles, it’s basically a choice between the least worst option, FPTP and some version of PR. FPTP and a Conservative (or Labour) majority based on 43% of the vote is better than a system which allows a greater chance of extremists entering the government.

RT4038

Established Member
The other side of the coin being that the UK is the first country to be brave and clever enough to depart from a political and trade grouping which it did not like, did not believe was working to its overall advantage, and did not like the future path it was treading. Other opinions are also available.

class ep-09

CPTPP is about trade though, what the EC was originally. CPTPP are not going to insist on free movement and becoming a United States of Europe which is what the EU wanted. One of the many benefits of Brexit is that we are free to enter into our own trade agreements.
So you admit brexit was about immigration and pretty much that was it .

I guess UK’s own trade agreements means selling farmers for next to nothing aka Australian trade deal or New Zealand trade deal .

UK had free trade deals with a lot of countries on much better terms as they were negotiated by EU using its economy of scale .

The other side of the coin being that the UK is the first country to be brave and clever enough to depart from a political and trade grouping which it did not like, did not believe was working to its overall advantage, and did not like the future path it was treading. Other opinions are also available.
There is no other side .

You believe in fairy tales and alternative facts .

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The other side of the coin being that the UK is the first country to be brave and clever enough to depart from a political and trade grouping which it did not like, did not believe was working to its overall advantage, and did not like the future path it was treading.
The UK didn't decide. A narrow majority of those who voted did. Which is a minority of the total eligible electorate. We can never know, of course, how those who didn't vote would have. That's just how elections work. But lets not pretend that that Brexit had a ringing endorsement from the population at large. There's been no vote since 2016 on the issue to tell us how people feel about it now and, whilst as I said previously they're extremely dubious, the general elections since have not managed to find a majority of the population in favour of Brexit supporting parties.

Whilst Brexiteers like to pretend that their project has massive popular support (but at the same time often like to pretend that they're the scrappy underdog fighting against all the odds) it never did in 2016 and there's little evidence it does now. Which isn't to say that re-joining the EU has massive popular support (there is scant evidence of this as well). Probably the only thing you can point to is that everyone is sick to the hind teeth of it all (another factor I think that helped Boris in 2019 "Get Brexit Done" was seductive not just for those that believed in it but for those that were fed up with it).

Which isn't surprising really. No-one apart from various fringe elements of the political spectrum gave a damn about the EU until shortly before the Referendum in 2016. It's hardly surprising that we'd trend back towards that baseline in the aftermath.

Personally, whilst I'd vote to re-join, I'm willing to freely admit that that is likely to be a generational project. It'll take that long for the consensus to be built, the UKs reputation as a stable partner to be repaired from the damage done since 2016 and for a large chunk of the Tory Brexit supporting base to, frankly, die off (again not every Brexit supporter is old, but an awful lot of them are).

There should, however, be scope to move us slightly closer to the EU to help undo some of the worst damage that has been caused. Re-joining the Customs Union either directly or with a bilateral agreement ala Turkey for instance would go a long way to repairing some of the economic damage as well as helping to ease the problem of Northern Ireland now having effectively a border in the Irish Sea between it and the rest of the United Kingdom. It's hard to see how that is a "betrayal" of Brexit. Especially as being in a proper Customs Union doesn't open the immigration door that is one of those totems of Brexiteers.

RT4038

Established Member
The UK didn't decide. A narrow majority of those who voted did. Which is a minority of the total eligible electorate. We can never know, of course, how those who didn't vote would have. That's just how elections work. But lets not pretend that that Brexit had a ringing endorsement from the population at large. There's been no vote since 2016 on the issue to tell us how people feel about it now and, whilst as I said previously they're extremely dubious, the general elections since have not managed to find a majority of the population in favour of Brexit supporting parties.

Whilst Brexiteers like to pretend that their project has massive popular support (but at the same time often like to pretend that they're the scrappy underdog fighting against all the odds) it never did in 2016 and there's little evidence it does now. Which isn't to say that re-joining the EU has massive popular support (there is scant evidence of this as well). Probably the only thing you can point to is that everyone is sick to the hind teeth of it all (another factor I think that helped Boris in 2019 "Get Brexit Done" was seductive not just for those that believed in it but for those that were fed up with it).

Which isn't surprising really. No-one apart from various fringe elements of the political spectrum gave a damn about the EU until shortly before the Referendum in 2016. It's hardly surprising that we'd trend back towards that baseline in the aftermath.

Personally, whilst I'd vote to re-join, I'm willing to freely admit that that is likely to be a generational project. It'll take that long for the consensus to be built, the UKs reputation as a stable partner to be repaired from the damage done since 2016 and for a large chunk of the Tory Brexit supporting base to, frankly, die off (again not every Brexit supporter is old, but an awful lot of them are).

There should, however, be scope to move us slightly closer to the EU to help undo some of the worst damage that has been caused. Re-joining the Customs Union either directly or with a bilateral agreement ala Turkey for instance would go a long way to repairing some of the economic damage as well as helping to ease the problem of Northern Ireland now having effectively a border in the Irish Sea between it and the rest of the United Kingdom. It's hard to see how that is a "betrayal" of Brexit. Especially as being in a proper Customs Union doesn't open the immigration door that is one of those totems of Brexiteers.
I don't disagree with anything that you have said.

I do think that we will need to move closer to the EU, and think that will gradually come, particularly once the main protagonists, on both sides, have departed the political scene. I suspect that UK departure has been the only way of realistically resetting this relationship, for good and for bad. The only way now is up, but hopefully agreement where both sides are reasonably happy. I think, hope, that by the time 'rejoining' is contemplated, the EU will be different to what it is now.

MattRat

On Moderation

No .

Yes

Yes

When the EU army comes knocking on its own citizen's doors, then come and tell me that's still fine.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

No .

Yes

Yes

If this trade partnership turns into something that the population doesn't like, then we can have a referendum and leave. Perhaps some lessons can be learnt as to where that line is.

Having seen the comments regarding the UK signing up to CPTPP, it seems the UK Government wants to change everything that has been taught in geography class from my primary schooldays.

I remember when first looking at an atlas, the Pacific Ocean does not surround the islands of Great Britain or Ireland. Also, it is concerning that one of the participants of the CPTPP is Brunei, which does not have a good human rights track record - similar to the governments of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and the Israeli Government which the UK happens to be best buddies with.

RT4038

Established Member
Having seen the comments regarding the UK signing up to CPTPP, it seems the UK Government wants to change everything that has been taught in geography class from my primary schooldays.

I remember when first looking at an atlas, the Pacific Ocean does not surround the islands of Great Britain or Ireland. Also, it is concerning that one of the participants of the CPTPP is Brunei, which does not have a good human rights track record - similar to the governments of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and the Israeli Government which the UK happens to be best buddies with.
You seem to have been taught some strange things in your primary school, certainly in comparison to mine. I certainly wasn't taught that having a trade agreement with another country needed them to be physically next door, or in the same ocean. Isn't that what boats and aeroplanes are for bridging [taught in physics at secondary school?] . Nor was human rights track records taught in any of my geography lessons. Must have been asleep then.

I thought we had a trade agreement with the trading block [EU] next door? Or have I missed something? Having one with another trading block seems quite prudent - competition, diversity of supply etc.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I thought we had a trade agreement with the trading block [EU] next door? Or have I missed something? Having one with another trading block seems quite prudent - competition, diversity of supply etc.
An agreement that the UK threatens to tear up whenever its inherent contradictions (particularly on Northern Ireland) become obvious, or when our government wants to distract people from its own incompetence.

RT4038

Established Member
An agreement that the UK threatens to tear up whenever its inherent contradictions (particularly on Northern Ireland) become obvious, or when our government wants to distract people from its own incompetence.
That is as maybe, but the EU membership agreement was not drawn up to make Exit an easy task, for quite understandable reasons. There is bound to be politicking, on both sides, for quite some time.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That is as maybe, but the EU membership agreement was not drawn up to make Exit an easy task, for quite understandable reasons. There is bound to be politicking, on both sides, for quite some time.
Which is another reason leaving was a bad idea.

MattRat

On Moderation
Which is another reason leaving was a bad idea.
That doesn't make leaving a bad idea, that just shows our government is incompetent. If leave had been handled by competent people, it would have ended up being better than it is now.

Cdd89

Established Member
Which is why I suggested that there's a rule that if the vote is less than (say) 60:40 then there's another referendum within a given time period (say 4 years).
While I entirely agree with this in theory, remember that the referendum was effectively overridden by a party capitalising on the majority in a general election.

What would have changed the outcome in 2019, even if the majority didn’t meet the supermajority? Maybe there would have been less ill feeling, but I sort of doubt it.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
That doesn't make leaving a bad idea, that just shows our government is incompetent. If leave had been handled by competent people, it would have ended up being better than it is now.
The problems resulted from red lines set by the government. Arguably they were incompetent to do so. Arguably they were incompetent to want Brexit in the first place, since it's clearly a stupid idea by any rational analysis.
What would have changed the outcome in 2019, even if the majority didn’t meet the supermajority? Maybe there would have been less ill feeling, but I sort of doubt it.
If the opposition parties had got their act together and had better leaders. 2019 was the epitome of choosing the party you disliked least, rather than any positive choice.

MattRat

On Moderation
The problems resulted from red lines set by the government. Arguably they were incompetent to do so. Arguably they were incompetent to want Brexit in the first place, since it's clearly a stupid idea by any rational analysis.
Until you realize the EU is basically the Tower of Babel.....

The Ham

Established Member
Until you realize the EU is basically the Tower of Babel.....

And? Other than the story saying that they wanted to be seen as greater than God, they were working together to achieve something which would have outlived themselves.

Of course, in having that belief they had a very small view of God.

However the point is, other than God stepping in and confusing their language so that they couldn't complete the project, what's the problem with doing something where we are working together? Surely that better than ourselves splitting ourselves into many different groups who don't work together (which is effectively the punishment, but only to stop them from having a wrong view of their own importance).

Yes there'll be some who then say that it'll be how the Anti Christ comes about at the end of times. However, assuming that the Bible prophecies about that are going to happen, the UK being part of the EU or not isn't going to stop that prophecy from coming to pass.

That's not to say that if there was signs that things were going that way that the UK shouldn't have taken steps to stop it. However arguably being inside the EU with our veto power would have arguably been a better place to be to stop an over stepping of what's acceptable than being on the outside.

REVUpminster

The question is do the remainers want a United States of Europe? With Russia successfully neutering Germany and French companies reluctant to leave Russia, maybe we would have become the dominant nation.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
And? Other than the story saying that they wanted to be seen as greater than God, they were working together to achieve something which would have outlived themselves.

Of course, in having that belief they had a very small view of God.

However the point is, other than God stepping in and confusing their language so that they couldn't complete the project, what's the problem with doing something where we are working together? Surely that better than ourselves splitting ourselves into many different groups who don't work together (which is effectively the punishment, but only to stop them from having a wrong view of their own importance).

Yes there'll be some who then say that it'll be how the Anti Christ comes about at the end of times. However, assuming that the Bible prophecies about that are going to happen, the UK being part of the EU or not isn't going to stop that prophecy from coming to pass.

That's not to say that if there was signs that things were going that way that the UK shouldn't have taken steps to stop it. However arguably being inside the EU with our veto power would have arguably been a better place to be to stop an over stepping of what's acceptable than being on the outside.
Brexit only makes sense if it is treated as a religion not a policy.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The question is do the remainers want a United States of Europe?
Not particularly. Just close cooperation on the wide range of issues which effect all European nations which is best facilitated by some level of supranational organisation. Doesn't need a full on United States of Europe. To be honest what the EU had settled on seemed roughly appropriate. Not without its flaws to be sure. But I never saw a need for it to go much further than it had nor to go much further backwards either. Thankfully when we were in the EU we always held a veto power over any closer integration. Now that we're out of course who knows how it will develop.