• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brfares not displaying fare for Dorking stations to Tulse Hill - researching permitted routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'm organising a walk with some friends from Gomshall to Dorking.

One of my friends has to then get back from Dorking to Tulse Hill and I've been researching permitted routes. They are staying over the night before so it might be helpful to stop off in Guildford to collect their sleeping bag. Even if they don't do this, I'm still interested in routes via Guildford for my own interest.

Both are routing points so a fares check isn't needed. The routes available, from my last download of the yellow pages, which isn't the latest, are:
London
CS+LB
SC

I then went to BR Fares to check what type of tickets are available. It is an Any Permitted but it says no far as are available.

I can find a fare on National Rail Enquiries but not via Guildford as I imagine the fastest route isn't valid for some reason on the day I'm looking (21 August). I've not researched the permitted routes to London and back out of it yet, as I stopped doing so once I hit no fare available.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JB_B

Established Member
I then went to BR Fares to check what type of tickets are available. It is an Any Permitted but it says no far as are available.

I think you've asked for the discount on the price of Network Railcards for Annual Goldcard users. That's why brfares.com is just showing the price for the discounted railcard.

Ask for the Network Railcard discount instead.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Your URL includes a railcard. Try without that railcard and voila:

I think you've asked for the discount on the price of Network Railcards for Annual Goldcard users. That's why brfares.com is just showing the price for the discounted railcard.

Ask for the Network Railcard discount instead.

You need to search using railcard code NEW not NCP.
Many thanks for the replies. Makes sense now.

I have indeed used the discounted network railcard because that is what a friend purchased, via my Gold Card

I wasn't aware it would lead to a difference as the discount is equal to both, just that one costs £10 instead of £30.

As for circuitous routes, it may well not be valid via Guildford but I was going to look that up but before doing so I was checking what the ticket types were and then couldn't locate the fare.

Having checked the routing guide it most definitely isn't valid via Guildford. I hadn't realised just how east Tulse Hill is, given it's near West Norwood. The shortest route is via Redhill and East Croydon and isn't a mapped route but valid via the shortest route rule.

Last edited:

hkstudent

Established Member
Many thanks for the replies. Makes sense now.

I have indeed used the discounted network railcard because that is what a friend purchased, via my Gold Card

I wasn't aware it would lead to a difference as the discount is equal to both, just that one costs £10 instead of £30.

As for circuitous routes, it may well not be valid via Guildford but I was going to look that up but before doing so I was checking what the ticket types were and then couldn't locate the fare.

Having checked the routing guide it most definitely isn't valid via Guildford. I hadn't realised just how east Tulse Hill is, given it's near West Norwood. The shortest route is via Redhill and East Croydon and isn't a mapped route but valid via the shortest route rule.
In routing guide, Dorking has no via Guildford provision.
The eastmost station on Reading - Redhill line with "via Guildford" easement is Gomshall.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
The shortest route is via Redhill and East Croydon and isn't a mapped route but valid via the shortest route rule.

I was surprised and checked: I make it 4.25 miles longer than the direct route via Mitcham Jn. 19.25 v 16.5 plus 7.25 = 23.75 to Dorking Deepdene.

(Source: SR 1958 timetable online, but only a station name has changed!)

JB_B

Established Member
I was surprised and checked: I make it 4.25 miles longer than the direct route via Mitcham Jn. 19.25 v 16.5 plus 7.25 = 23.75 to Dorking Deepdene.

(Source: SR 1958 timetable online, but only a station name has changed!)

Assuming that the journey is Tulse Hill to Dorking Deepdene, I think that the shortest route wholly by rail given in the routeing guide data is via Redhill at 23.13 miles. ( Of course, there are lots of examples of large discrepancies between the mileages given in contemporary timetables and the data.)

I'm still slightly surprised that the 1958 mileages show a much shorter route via Mitcham Junction (I'm assuming you're not including a walking leg between Dorking (Main) and Deepdene in the calculation.)

It seems unlikely but could it be that the '58 timetable still included mileages via the old chord between the Mole Valley and North Downs lines ?

Last edited:

Veteran Member
As the OP referred to Dorking, I was using the route to the station dog that name, then known as Dorking North.
They are right that the shortest route from Dorking W or Deepdene is via Redhill as I think it is agreed that walking routes don't count.

JB_B

Established Member
As the OP referred to Dorking, I was using the route to the station dog that name, then known as Dorking North.
They are right that the shortest route from Dorking W or Deepdene is via Redhill as I think it is agreed that walking routes don't count.

Ah, OK - thanks for clarifying that.

Status
Not open for further replies.