• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bright Bus Airport Express service

stevenedin

Established Member
I witnessed one of them holding up traffic with the amount of people getting on with suitcases. I’ve seen them either quiet or busy as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I witnessed one of them holding up traffic with the amount of people getting on with suitcases. I’ve seen them either quiet or busy as well.
So in other words like most services that compete against each other the service is simply opportunistic about who it will pick up, if it’s in front of the other competitor they the one that arrives first gets the passengers.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
So in other words like most services that compete against each other the service is simply opportunistic about who it will pick up, if it’s in front of the other competitor they the one that arrives first gets the passengers.
Indeed. Important to note Google Maps mostly will direct you to Bright Bus as well from Waverley Station. From the Airport I'd assume it's still really based of your arrival terminal.

CSB0241

On Moderation
The destination boards have added "via Murrayfield" for the rugby match yesterday.
They always do that when a match is on. They also have extra buses running to the stadium on all services past the stadium, which have special blinds with a rugby ball saying Murrayfield.

They always do that when a match is on. They also have extra buses running to the stadium on all services past the stadium, which have special blinds with a rugby ball saying Murrayfield.
My apologies, I thought this was the Lothian thread.

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation

computerSaysNo

Established Member
I presume this link.

No mention of open top on that page.
Ahh okay, I read that as only applying to the Tour but now you point it out you're right, it doesn't say that it's only tours.

A follow-on question: where does the training for this take place? Is it done at Livingston or do trainees need to travel to Falkirk or Stirling?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The advert posted in #128 does actually suggest tour work, despite there being a separate link for open top work!

Earn £14 per hour!

Would you like to play a colourful part in the Capitals tourist market? Would you like to become a PCV licence holder and be paid for your training? Are you a current PCV licence holder?

Then we have the perfect opportunity for you!

McGill’s Bus Group, the UKs largest independent bus operator are recruiting for full time and part time Bright Bus Tours PCV Drivers (trainees and licence holders) to join our Bright Bus Team in Edinburgh City Centre.

This is an exciting opportunity to transport sightseeing passengers around Edinburgh City, showcasing the history and many wonders it has to offer. Ideally, customer service will be a natural skill to ensure our passengers receive a 5-star service during their tour.

If this sounds exciting and you would like to be part of our amazing team, then this is where you fit in!

InOban

Established Member
I had occasion to visit the airport twice in the past two days. I saw several Brightbus services. All but one seemed virtually empty, the one (inbound) was 1/3 full.

LBObserver

I saw one the other day and it was packed. It looked full. It seems to be full on and off.
It's still a fairly quiet time of year but Easter weekend and Six Nations earlier normally lead to a boost in domestic flight passengers. I saw one late this afternoon heading to the airport looking close to half full.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Passing the route daily, I am finding that the numbers are certainly growing. Most buses I pass now have good loads, however there is still reguarly quieter buses. Airlink is still doing well too.

stevenedin

Established Member
Passing the route daily, I am finding that the numbers are certainly growing. Most buses I pass now have good loads, however there is still reguarly quieter buses. Airlink is still doing well too.
I do get the impression that the current capacity is fine for the route and that it isn’t busy enough for double deckers. McGill’s will just be bothered about it making profit and if it does then that’s all they can ask for.

On another note, I was in Dundee and I travelled on an Xplore Dundee bus and noticed that Bright Bus Tours is being advertised onboard as well.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Currently on a flying visit to Edinburgh and both on grounds of cost and journey time used this service coming into town from the airport this morning and having purchased a return I'm semi-committed to going back the same way, not the time upset about this as I really enjoyed the much quicker journey time due to far less stops.

Friendly staff too

Volvodart

Established Member
It's now £16 for 1 tour and £20 for 2 for this year, unsure what the new boat & bridges tour will cost but should be announced soon I think
There is now also an Airport Express Edinburgh Explorer for £25 which gives 7 days travel on the existing 2 Bright Bus tours plus a return journey on the Airport Express.

Last edited:

Bus9120UK

Established Member
There is now also an Airport Express Edinburgh Explorer which gives 7 days travel on the existing 2 Bright Bus tours plus a return journey on the Airport Express.
This was introduced with the Airport Express, although it has fallen from £41 (I believe) to £25

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Which makes it absolutely astounding value for money and perhaps explains why. When I last flew through Edinburgh the Lothian staff were up selling frantically just a few metres away from the airport Express departure stand
Well, I'm sorry but no matter how much I really have no time for McGill and their business practises the more budget conscious airport service at least will remain a firm favourite here and I would not hesitate to recommend the bright tours either as they are a good standard

stevenedin

Established Member
Which makes it absolutely astounding value for money and perhaps explains why. When I last flew through Edinburgh the Lothian staff were up selling frantically just a few metres away from the airport Express departure stand
Well, I'm sorry but no matter how much I really have no time for McGill and their business practises the more budget conscious airport service at least will remain a firm favourite here and I would not hesitate to recommend the bright tours either as they are a good standard
I agree, it’s great value for money and if you are only staying for a week and walk mostly but want to get in the tour buses to places on the route it’s a good offering. It’s a shame that the team cost doesn’t include travel on Eastern Scottish services 20, 63 and 68 as well.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
There is now also an Airport Express Edinburgh Explorer for £25 which gives 7 days travel on the existing 2 Bright Bus tours plus a return journey on the Airport Express.
This was first mentioned in post #27, but, as @bus9120 mentioned it's had a second drop in price to £25.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I agree, it’s great value for money and if you are only staying for a week and walk mostly but want to get in the tour buses to places on the route it’s a good offering. It’s a shame that the team cost doesn’t include travel on Eastern Scottish services 20, 63 and 68 as well.

I really can't see there being much tourist demand for those services, given there's no Mcgill's/Bright Bus link to use them.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
It’s better than them carrying fresh air. Most probably won’t use the tours more than a few times.
How many tourists are actually looking at ticket options at the Airport? At least from my view, it really is a case of them just taking the service closest to their arrivals hall. When I arrived into Edinburgh recently, everyone walked straight out the arrivals terminal, straight to the exit, and directly to the tram/Airlink. Nobody was looking at the posters or leaflets.

A330Alex

There’s a concerted effort from all airport players to offer and promote prepaid tickets at the moment.

This locks in passengers and removes the existing situation where many passengers take the first available option.

See: Airlink/Tram/BrightBus

Bus9120UK

Established Member
There’s a concerted effort from all airport players to offer and promote prepaid tickets at the moment.

This locks in passengers and removes the existing situation where many passengers take the first available option.

See: Airlink/Tram/BrightBus
This is true, although I'd like to see how many passengers actually use these online booking systems. At least for Airlink are any drivers able to comment on this? I know this website has also offered ticketing online, including before Bright Bus started their service. There are several 5 star reviews added to this page on a daily basis so it remains a popular option. Note, while Bright Bus do have a presence on this site, they have not added tickets for their Airport Express.

Link opens 'Get your guide' website with ticket booking options for Airlink.