• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton & Hove ‘regency routes’ extensions

Bishopstone

Established Member
Brighton & Hove are, from later this month, to start running to Heathfield via Uckfield, and Eastbourne via Ringmer and Hailsham, all at reasonable frequencies per the linked article.

I think this is great news, though they’ll be in direct competition with Stagecoach between Hailsham and Eastbourne, so it will be interesting to see how that works-out.

https://www.buses.co.uk/Regency-Improvements

We are thrilled to announce that we are making exciting improvements to our Regency routes. Major improvements to the Regency network will take place from Sunday 23rd July 2023 as part of the East Sussex Enhanced Partnership with funding from UK Government.

Please find the summary of these improvements below:

• Route 28 extended from Brighton, Lewes and Ringmer to Hailsham and Eastbourne on Mondays to Saturdays every 30 minutes.

• New Route 29A providing an hourly service from Heathfield to Uckfield, Lewes and Brighton.

• Frequency of buses to Uckfield and Tunbridge Wells increased.

• Improved Sunday & Public Holiday service between Brighton and Lewes.

• Reduction of service to Halland and Raystede and withdrawal of Sunday service to Manor Park due to very low usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rothy

Interesting indeed, but seems a little overambitious to me.

Currently Compass run 5 return daytime journeys a day between Lewes and Hailsham, and there isn't even a Saturday service, let alone a Sunday one. B&H are going to put a double decker along there every 30 minutes, with an evening service until midnight, and hourly Sunday journeys. I'm sure some extra demand will be generated by it being a direct service from Hailsham to Brighton, but I still can't see where all these passengers are going to come from.

Similarly, extending to Eastbourne seems strange. Stagecoach already have 6 journeys an hour from Hailsham, and with the £2 fare cap there is no reason to choose one operator over the other for the majority of passengers. I guess they're hoping people will use the 28 from Lewes to Eastbourne instead of the train? (Or the infrequent 25/125)

Anyway, despite all my negativity, hope it goes well

RELL6L

Mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand this looks like a very ambitious attempt to generate some journeys for public transport where it doesn't exist now, with links into Brighton from several new places. On the other hand most of the extensions are currently covered, just much less frequently. Will this see the end of Compass 143 from Lewes to Hailsham? I travelled on this earlier this year, most of the passengers came from back streets of Ringmer and the Lower Dicker caravan park, which won't be served by the 28. What about the Compass 231 from Lewes to Heathfield and on to Etchingham? Will the Etchingham section survive if the Lewes part is lost? I certainly don't see the point of competing with Stagecoach between Hailsham and Eastbourne. I admire innovation, but this is presumably largely funded by East Sussex - is this an efficient use of resources?

duncombec

Mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand this looks like a very ambitious attempt to generate some journeys for public transport where it doesn't exist now, with links into Brighton from several new places. On the other hand most of the extensions are currently covered, just much less frequently. Will this see the end of Compass 143 from Lewes to Hailsham? I travelled on this earlier this year, most of the passengers came from back streets of Ringmer and the Lower Dicker caravan park, which won't be served by the 28. What about the Compass 231 from Lewes to Heathfield and on to Etchingham? Will the Etchingham section survive if the Lewes part is lost? I certainly don't see the point of competing with Stagecoach between Hailsham and Eastbourne. I admire innovation, but this is presumably largely funded by East Sussex - is this an efficient use of resources?
All of the answers to your questions are already provided by East Sussex County Council, via the district-by-district links from this "landing page": https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/roads...improvement-plan/improvements-to-bus-services

The 143 is withdrawn, and replaced by the "Regency" (inverted commas to avoid confusion with the Lewes-based coach and rail replacement operator) changes and adaptations to service 125/25. The 231 currently runs from Uckfield to Etchingham, and is likewise partially replaced by "Regency", but the eastern end is enhanced and given a Saturday service for the first time in years.

It is funded by BSIP funding, and appears to have replaced the original plan to swap vast numbers of rural routes to DRT operation - it seems to be a resurrection of the former Kickstart/Rural Bus Grant-type priming to see whether increasing frequencies can generate passengers. Those who advocate this on other threads should watch carefully!

It also isn't really competition with Stagecoach - the "Regency" extension to Eastbourne is at exactly 15 minute intervals, and 6 minutes behind Stagecoach Brighton-bound, mostly because of the need to dovetail with the ten minute frequency on the Lewes to Brighton section. As well as the extensions, these changes reintroduce the ten-minute frequency Lewes to Brighton and half-hourly Uckfield to Tunbridge Wells after Covid-related reductions.

RELL6L

All of the answers to your questions are already provided by East Sussex County Council, via the district-by-district links from this "landing page": https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/roads...improvement-plan/improvements-to-bus-services

The 143 is withdrawn, and replaced by the "Regency" (inverted commas to avoid confusion with the Lewes-based coach and rail replacement operator) changes and adaptations to service 125/25. The 231 currently runs from Uckfield to Etchingham, and is likewise partially replaced by "Regency", but the eastern end is enhanced and given a Saturday service for the first time in years.

It is funded by BSIP funding, and appears to have replaced the original plan to swap vast numbers of rural routes to DRT operation - it seems to be a resurrection of the former Kickstart/Rural Bus Grant-type priming to see whether increasing frequencies can generate passengers. Those who advocate this on other threads should watch carefully!

It also isn't really competition with Stagecoach - the "Regency" extension to Eastbourne is at exactly 15 minute intervals, and 6 minutes behind Stagecoach Brighton-bound, mostly because of the need to dovetail with the ten minute frequency on the Lewes to Brighton section. As well as the extensions, these changes reintroduce the ten-minute frequency Lewes to Brighton and half-hourly Uckfield to Tunbridge Wells after Covid-related reductions.
Thanks, I hadn't been onto the East Sussex page recently and didn't realise the changes were so wide ranging. Yes, of course the 231 is from Uckfield not Lewes, silly me, good that the remainder of this route is increased too. Not sure the 28 is going to the Lower Dicker caravan park and the 143 is being withdrawn - we picked up several people there when I took the route. I still think Stagecoach will be unimpressed with competition between Hailsham and Eastbourne but on the other hand they are getting quite a bit of gain from this whole set of changes so I guess they won't be complaining. Lots of extra evening and Sunday services - I would think more than the extra weekday daytime services - hope these enhance the overall attractiveness of the services. Route 1066! Will the buses be able to cope with this? I will keep an open mind on all these, let's see how the do and how long the funding lasts.

duncombec

Not sure the 28 is going to the Lower Dicker caravan park and the 143 is being withdrawn - we picked up several people there when I took the route.
Cuckmere Buses will be introducing a two-day a week service 48 to Deanland Wood (Lower Dicker).

Class93

Is this a possible outcome of a surge of passengers from the capping? This is excellent news and is certainly welcomed.

James H

I note that the extended 28 takes a different route to the Stagecoach services in Polegate, avoiding the level crossing (and thus not serving Polegate Station) for a slightly faster journey between Hailsham and Eastbourne

philg999

Nice to see 40 years’ worth of east sussex bus service cuts reversed in 1 timetable change :p. Though I see one sad omission was not extending the 99 Hastings-Eastbourne to Brighton via Drusillas Zoo and Lewes. Maybe they’ll do that in 3 years once the other changes have proven a resounding success. Hmm…

Last edited:

James H

Spent a week in Hailsham and the extended 28 seemed to be popular in its first week.

The faster journey time between Hailsham and Eastbourne is certainly attractive.

Also heard word spreading about the 28 in chatter among regulars on the local Stagecoach services.

williamn

I wonder how these changes are doing some time in? I now use the 29 regularly between Lewes and Crowborough, while the new frequency is very welcome I can't help but wince at the journey time compared to what I presume used to be a much quicker journey time by train until 1969!

Bishopstone

Established Member
I wonder how these changes are doing some time in? I now use the 29 regularly between Lewes and Crowborough, while the new frequency is very welcome I can't help but wince at the journey time compared to what I presume used to be a much quicker journey time by train until 1969!

I wonder whether there’s a market for more 29X services, routed straight along the A26 between Crowborough Cross and Lewes, without the diversions through residential backwaters. It would need to come off the A26 to serve Uckfield town centre and station, but that’s only three minutes driving time from the bypass.

williamn

I wonder whether there’s a market for more 29X services, routed straight along the A26 between Crowborough Cross and Lewes, without the diversions through residential backwaters. It would need to come off the A26 to serve Uckfield town centre and station, but that’s only three minutes driving time from the bypass.
That would be amazing…

I’m not sure of the reason but timekeeping seems to be very poor on this route, delays of 15 mins seem common.

Rothy

That would be amazing…

I’m not sure of the reason but timekeeping seems to be very poor on this route, delays of 15 mins seem common.
Indeed, delays of over 30 minutes on the 28 this afternoon, due to a broken down bus on North Street in Brighton. 4 buses all left Lewes for Brighton at the same time...

With such long routes, there is bound to always be a delay somewhere on one of the routes I suppose.