• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Brighton to Great Malvern

Status
Not open for further replies.

JN114

Established Member
Pre-Covid the 0900 from Brighton got to Malvern at 1429, where it had a TWELVE minute turnround before leaving at 1441 for Weymouth, arriving 1900. Given the number of other main line services it crosses over, what chances an on-time arrival at Malvern.

It would frequently turn round at Worcester if late.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
It used to be Brighton-Cardiff in the 90s. I used it fairly often (well, end of term). Generally a two car 158 which always looked very sleek and modern against the NSE and later Connex electrics, though a bit short.
The journey was fine - plenty of variety from the south coast to Southampton and then across to Bath and Bristol, then finally into Wales. Four and a bit hours IIRC which was fine when the train wasn't crowded - usually it was full leaving Brighton.

Lots of memories from those trips.
Didn't it go to Tenby/Milford haven at one point?

RSDonovan

It used to be Brighton-Cardiff in the 90s. I used it fairly often (well, end of term). Generally a two car 158 which always looked very sleek and modern against the NSE and later Connex electrics, though a bit short.
The journey was fine - plenty of variety from the south coast to Southampton and then across to Bath and Bristol, then finally into Wales. Four and a bit hours IIRC which was fine when the train wasn't crowded - usually it was full leaving Brighton.

I hope there was A toilet on board!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

Pre Covid there were a couple of Brighton-Cardiff trains on Sundays, although in reality these were Portsmouth ‘fast’ services diverted to serve the Coastway rather than the string of stoppers joined together as on weekdays.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The unit numbers are 1587xx, but the subclass is still 158/0. Same for 1588xx (such as the TfW ones): these are 158/0 (with the possible exception of Northern's 158880-890). The reformed 3-car 158s which GWR have are 158/9.
(To add to the confusion, I think SWR's class 158s are 158/8 subclass, despite having no differences compared to a standard 158/0. But I haven't checked, so I may be wrong!)
Sorry - misread. Assumed you meant sub-class was the unit numbers.

D6975

Established Member
The unit numbers are 1587xx, but the subclass is still 158/0. Same for 1588xx (such as the TfW ones): these are 158/0 (with the possible exception of Northern's 158880-890). The reformed 3-car 158s which GWR have are 158/9.
(To add to the confusion, I think SWR's class 158s are 158/8 subclass, despite having no differences compared to a standard 158/0. But I haven't checked, so I may be wrong!)
158880-890 do not belong to Northern - they are SWT. (889 on loan to EMT)

paul1609

Established Member
You see, I think you are incorrect about the vast majority of services on the Brighton - Great Malven trains being local journeys. I have it on good authority from people in the industry, that the Brighton trains are actually normally full of people making long distance journeys from Brighton to the West, and that there are a lot of passengers that specifically choose to travel by train because of the Brighton - Great Malvern services, and otherwise wouldn't travell if they had to change.
I think your source is right. It's a combination of people coming from South Wales / Bristol areas to the South Coast and vice versa. For many the prospect of a change from Paddington to Victoria or Reading and Gatwick Airport with luggage is a non starter the direct train is a good option however slow it is. We seem to understand on this forum that direct services to London from the North is what passengers want but then deny those in the south a direct service to Bristol or Brighton.

route101

Established Member
I find the route useful from Southampton to Bristol/ Cardiff. Hourly frequency, I think services can be unreliable outwith the Bristol to Southampton section.

Class 170101

Established Member
Pre-Covid the 0900 from Brighton got to Malvern at 1429, where it had a TWELVE minute turnround before leaving at 1441 for Weymouth, arriving 1900. Given the number of other main line services it crosses over, what chances an on-time arrival at Malvern.
Don't forget though there would be en-route breaks at Temple Meads and Gloucester for reversal and maybe elsewhere en-route so 12 minutes at Great Malvern doesn't look quite so bad.

RSDonovan

On occasions it is a Turbo
Excuse my ignorance but what is a Turbo?

I'm determined to do this route Great Malvern to Brighton.

I would love to see it on a map with all the stops shown and the line highlighted but I don't know if one exists, nor how to create one. Has any one got an idea?

TXMISTA

I would love to see it on a map with all the stops shown and the line highlighted but I don't know if one exists, nor how to create one. Has any one got an idea?
A Class 165 or 166

_toommm_

Established Member

If you have Chrome on a laptop or PC, you can download this extension, which adds mapping functionality to all services:

_toommm_

Established Member
And for the benefit of anyone who doesn't have a PC and/or a wish to use Chrome:

(The photo below is a screenshot from realtimetrains.co.uk, with the extension 'RTTMapper' installed. It shows a map of the journey of 1V94, the 08:59 Brighton to Great Malvern):

1635712316927.png

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
And for the benefit of anyone who doesn't have a PC and/or a wish to use Chrome:

(The photo below is a screenshot from realtimetrains.co.uk, with the extension 'RTTMapper' installed. It shows a map of the journey of 1V94, the 08:59 Brighton to Great Malvern):

View attachment 104939

Looking at that map, would the shortest route between Worcester (both Foregate Street and Shrub Hill) and Brighton be via Oxford, Reading, and Redhill?

EDIT: According to the Railmiles website, it is indeed that route which is 162.5 miles.

_toommm_

Established Member
Looking at that map, would the shortest route between Worcester (both Foregate Street and Shrub Hill) and Brighton be via Oxford, Reading, and Redhill?

Yeah, 170mi and 27ch is the quickest route according to RMME:

Brighton, Preston Park, Hassocks, Burgess Hill, Keymer Jn, Wivelsfield, Haywards Heath, Copyhold Jn, Balcombe, Balcombe Tunnel Jn, Three Bridges, Tinsley Green, Gatwick Airport, Horley, Salfords, Earlswood (Surrey), Redhill, Reigate, Betchworth, Dorking Deepdene, Dorking West, Gomshall, Chilworth, Shalford, Shalford Jn, Guildford, Wanborough, Ash, Aldershot South Jn, North Camp, Farnborough North, Blackwater, Sandhurst, Crowthorne, Wokingham, Winnersh, Winnersh Triangle, Earley, Reading Spur Jn, Reading Southern Jn, Reading Main Line East, Reading, Reading Main Line West, Reading High Level Jn, Tilehurst East Jn., Tilehurst, Pangbourne, Goring & Streatley, Cholsey, Moreton Cutting, Didcot East Jn, Didcot North Jn, Appleford L.C., Appleford, Culham, Radley, Kennington Jn, Hinksey South, Hinksey North, Oxford, Oxford North Jn., Wolvercote Jn, Hanborough, Combe, Finstock, Charlbury, Ascott-under-Wychwood, Shipton, Kingham, Moreton-in-Marsh, Honeybourne, Honeybourne North Jn, Evesham, Evesham West Jn, Pershore, Worcestershire Parkway Hl, Norton Jn, Worcester Wylds Lane Jn, Worcester Shrub Hill, Worcester Foregate Street, Henwick, Newland East Signal Box, Malvern Link, Great Malvern

RSDonovan

View attachment 104939
Sensational! That will accompany me on my trip. Thanks indeed

A
Yeah, 170mi and 27ch is the quickest route according to RMME:

Brighton, Preston Park, Hassocks, Burgess Hill, Keymer Jn, Wivelsfield, Haywards Heath, Copyhold Jn, Balcombe, Balcombe Tunnel Jn, Three Bridges, Tinsley Green, Gatwick Airport, Horley, Salfords, Earlswood (Surrey), Redhill, Reigate, Betchworth, Dorking Deepdene, Dorking West, Gomshall, Chilworth, Shalford, Shalford Jn, Guildford, Wanborough, Ash, Aldershot South Jn, North Camp, Farnborough North, Blackwater, Sandhurst, Crowthorne, Wokingham, Winnersh, Winnersh Triangle, Earley, Reading Spur Jn, Reading Southern Jn, Reading Main Line East, Reading, Reading Main Line West, Reading High Level Jn, Tilehurst East Jn., Tilehurst, Pangbourne, Goring & Streatley, Cholsey, Moreton Cutting, Didcot East Jn, Didcot North Jn, Appleford L.C., Appleford, Culham, Radley, Kennington Jn, Hinksey South, Hinksey North, Oxford, Oxford North Jn., Wolvercote Jn, Hanborough, Combe, Finstock, Charlbury, Ascott-under-Wychwood, Shipton, Kingham, Moreton-in-Marsh, Honeybourne, Honeybourne North Jn, Evesham, Evesham West Jn, Pershore, Worcestershire Parkway Hl, Norton Jn, Worcester Wylds Lane Jn, Worcester Shrub Hill, Worcester Foregate Street, Henwick, Newland East Signal Box, Malvern Link, Great Malvern

I'm getting an off peak advance and can come back any route not passing Birmingham so this could be a return option to consider

Veteran Member

Alternatively, Googlemaps with public transport enabled: click on Brighton station, select GWR then your train.

RSDonovan

Thanks, I didn't know that - and I spend a lot of time on Googlemaps! Now all I need is a picnic basket, thermos flask, and a place to stay in Great Malvern, and I'm off!!!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That would certainly be apt - although I may have had enough stations by the time I arrive!

Well if you do the journey you'll arrive in a beautiful part of the world :) If rural walking is your thing, then a visit to the Malvern Hills is a must. Seriously, it's worth doing and I need to go back there myself.

I have to say I wasn't aware of there being accommodation in such a place in Malvern Link, I always assumed it was a private residence. I've learnt something new!

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Go a bit further on towards Hereford and you can stay in the old station at Stoke Edith (long closed) which is now a holiday let. You'd have to put up with the adajcent level crossing howling at you though. Hourly bus from Ledbury.

On the downside, you'll likely encounter me walking the dog nearby.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Go a bit further on towards Hereford and you can stay in the old station at Stoke Edith (long closed) which is now a holiday let. You'd have to put up with the adajcent level crossing howling at you though. Hourly bus from Ledbury.

On the downside, you'll likely encounter me walking the dog nearby.

A very quick sideways question here:

Regarding Stoke Edith station, I have seen comments a while ago as a possibility for reopening. As I believe it would be unlikely at any time in the near future, is this something that local councillors suggest whenever there is an election campaign going on so as to get some votes in the bag? (Apologies for the cynicism).

Status
Not open for further replies.