• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Britains biggest PVR

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHarries

Established Member
May be worth tweeting Stagecoach and asking for it :)
I didn't know they were on Twitter as I don't "follow" them.

Anyway I sent a Tweet and had a reply back from Stagecoach South informing me that the total PVR is 46 vehicles for Service 700 (Portsmouth / Arundel - Brighton). Anyone know if there is a bigger one in southern England?

Dave

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
a bit off topic... but has anyone got any idea what the TOTAL PVR for the whole UK is?

According to DfT figures the bus fleet is c.36,000

BUT

that is the fleet, so the PVR will be lower - perhaps c.32,500?

these figures exclude Scotland, probably exclude NI, and may exclude Wales i.e. they may be England only

mbonwick

Established Member
May be worth tweeting Stagecoach and asking for it :)

No need - the information is already out there if you know where to look ;)
(And Stagecoach South won't tell you anything anyway - they're one of the more uptight divisions...a far cry from enthusiast friendly Manchester for example)

PVR for the 700 is 5 E400s & 7 E300s at Chichester, 7 E400s at Portsmouth and 27 Scania E400s at Worthing.
Total 46.

The splitting of the route hasn't affected the PVR looking back to last year's figures.

DaveHarries

Established Member
No need - the information is already out there if you know where to look ;)
(And Stagecoach South won't tell you anything anyway - they're one of the more uptight divisions...a far cry from enthusiast friendly Manchester for example)

PVR for the 700 is 5 E400s & 7 E300s at Chichester, 7 E400s at Portsmouth and 27 Scania E400s at Worthing.
Total 46.

The splitting of the route hasn't affected the PVR looking back to last year's figures.
I edited my post to give the answer about 2 hours before you posted that. Thanks, however, for the clarification on how many vehicles of each type. I didn't know where to look through.

Dave

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I didn't know they were on Twitter as I don't "follow" them.

Anyway I sent a Tweet and had a reply back from Stagecoach South informing me that the total PVR is 46 vehicles for Service 700 (Portsmouth / Arundel - Brighton). Anyone know if there is a bigger one in southern England?

Dave

Very unlikely (outside London). The Brighton - Southsea/Portsmouth route has been the highest for decades.

mbonwick

Established Member
I edited my post to give the answer about 2 hours before you posted that. Thanks, however, for the clarification on how many vehicles of each type. I didn't know where to look through.

Dave

Apologies - when I posted I got the unedited version, so assumed (from my previous twitter encounters with SC South) that you'd get nowhere.

For the record, I maintain an archive of Stagecoach fleetcards at http://mbonwick.cu.cc/SCNW/Fleetcards

restons1

You're right about slow routes, but very long routes in London are non-existent now, with the possible exception of a handful of night routes. Also high peak time frequencies, if you're referring to four minutes or less, are (almost) a thing of the past. The real growth in London bus services over the last fifteen years or so has been in the outer suburbs and serving housing estates off the main roads: some of these routes now have frequencies almost matching so-called trunk routes.

It depends what you consider 'long'. The 246 to Westerham is 16 miles, the 314, less far out (Eltham-New Addington), is 14 miles . Time-length is a different matter: the 25 can easily take well over 2 hours to cover Oxford Circus-Ilford - really punishing for the driver!

Statto

Established Member
It depends what you consider 'long'. The 246 to Westerham is 16 miles, the 314, less far out (Eltham-New Addington), is 14 miles . Time-length is a different matter: the 25 can easily take well over 2 hours to cover Oxford Circus-Ilford - really punishing for the driver!

There is also the 83 Ealing Hospital-Golders Green which can take 100 minutes plus at times although the PVR is 28, PVR for the 25 is 60.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I've been on a 2B North Finchley to Crystal Palace and a 133 from South Croydon to Hendon Central (via East Finchley) and those were long journeys, by London standards. I also went on the 410 from Bromley North to Reigate, and by the time we reached Westerham we were barely halfway through the journey.:)There was also a morning rush hour journey on the 21 from Farningham, Bull to Moorgate, Finsbury Square that existed long after the Swanley/Farningham section had its 'normal' service converted to opo. Unfortunately, traffic conditions now preclude such journeys being scheduled even on a Sunday.
Near to the Addington area, the 54 used to run from Selsdon,Farley Road to Woolwich, General Gordon Square, with a 'schools' extension from Selsdon to Riddlesdown, though I never personally made the full journey.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is also the 83 Ealing Hospital-Golders Green which can take 100 minutes plus at times although the PVR is 28, PVR for the 25 is 60.

On renewal of contract next year, the 25 will have 64 buses allocated, without any change in frequencies that I'm aware of. though possibly more buses will work through to Oxford Circus post-Crossrail works.

restons1

Ah yes, the 21! As I mention in my piece ‘Going back to our Routes' in The Londoner, Issue 5, pre-war the 21 ran from Farningham all the way to Wood Green. Last week I spotted a 1932 timetable detailing the timings. It could be done in just over 2¼ hours. Those old routes take some imagining these days. Even if the roads were far emptier, what an effort for the drivers. However many gear changes?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Ah yes, the 21! As I mention in my piece ‘Going back to our Routes' in The Londoner, Issue 5, pre-war the 21 ran from Farningham all the way to Wood Green. Last week I spotted a 1932 timetable detailing the timings. It could be done in just over 2¼ hours. Those old routes take some imagining these days. Even if the roads were far emptier, what an effort for the drivers. However many gear changes?

I grew up with the 21 and 21A, being from Eltham. In my mind, the route will always be associated with Sidcup and its garage. I shan't even allow the fact that a 21 bus went into the back of my first car, a Cortina Mk 1, and wrote it off sully the memories.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.