• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British Airways

Scotrail12

Is it just me or are they now a JOKE of an airline?

Just returned this morning from Miami to Edinburgh via Heathrow and it has to be one of the worst ever travelling experiences I've had. It was an A380 for the Miami leg and probably the worst legroom I've had. I couldn't believe this was the flag carrier's flagship aircraft. Also lacking in amenities compared to Delta. At Heathrow and Edinburgh, they also often use buses to get to the plane. I'm fine with that on EasyJet but I'd expect a bit more from a flag carrier. Then there are constant delays and they lost our bags on the LHR-EDI leg to boot.

I won't be choosing to fly them again in a hurry - what's the point in flying the domestic routes (except Aberdeen & Ireland or if you were connecting from another flight) when the train is just as fast? And Delta offer a much better transatlantic product. And at least in mainland Europe, EasyJet & Ryanair are cheaper.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
You pays your money and you takes your choice. 31" seat pitch and 18" seat width is about normal in a widebody these days. Bus gates the same.

And at least in mainland Europe, EasyJet & Ryanair are cheaper.
And there's your problem. People want to pay Ryanair fares on British Airways but they don't want Ryanair service on British Airways.

As it happens, I've found that- if you take any sort of luggage- BA are actually very competitive on price for European short-haul. The downside is that, from the regions, you need to connect through Heathrow or Gatwick. I don't mind this- I have to connect wherever I go because I live on a small island- but it is something to factor in.

Failed Unit

Established Member
You pays your money and you takes your choice. 31" seat pitch and 18" seat width is about normal in a widebody these days. Bus gates the same.

And there's your problem. People want to pay Ryanair fares on British Airways but they don't want Ryanair service on British Airways.

As it happens, I've found that- if you take any sort of luggage- BA are actually very competitive on price for European short-haul. The downside is that, from the regions, you need to connect through Heathrow or Gatwick. I don't mind this- I have to connect wherever I go because I live on a small island- but it is something to factor in.
That is my problem with BA - if the fare is about the same as Ryanair / EasyJet, your expectations are low with both of those in terms of passenger comfort / amenities. BA still portray this image of bieng a quality airline, so in effect you are paying your premium to use Heathrow. For those that are close to Heathrow such as Slough this is absolutely worth it, but for those that are close to another airport then why bother? Luton Airport about 5 years ago used to be awful, not the experience in getting from the car park - the stand isn't actually much worse then Heathrow.

That is the challenge BA has. If I am travelling from London - Barcelona for example, you are looking for something that gets you from A-B. You don't really care if get a meal etc. So you are really booking by price and wanting whoever serves which airport you are closest to. Would you pay even £20 extra because BA includes the a meal? Very unlikely when you can spend the same £20 at the airport and get something better you can take on the aircraft. There are some things BA does that annoys me compared to the competition, such as booking a bag, as far as I am aware if you want to check in a bag everyone needs to buy it, on the other budget airlines if you want to book in one bag for a party of 3 then this is fine. This soon pushes up the BA price. However on the other hand, if using BA moves you towards thier next executive club tier then it may be worth the slight premium for the benefits that gives you.

All airlines are poor when things go wrong, BA seems to get lots of publicity about losing bags etc. Flights are now really a race to the bottom, but because historically BA was a quality airline, even if you pay the same price as EasyJet people still expect not to be treated like cattle, but BA are never going to advertise they are the same now :)

Long Haul seems variable, I understand they are updating thier seating. The A380 they admit themselves is overtaken by competitors offerings, which is actually hurting them more in the premium cabins. In have seen articles about the backwards facing business class seat bieng "Prisoner class". Even Premium Econonmy between Virgin and BA, Virgin make you feel slightly better as a customer in my experience then BA. BA have some serious fault in my experience with customer service, it is very possible that my expectations are too high as they compete in the race to the bottom. Ryanair on the other hand expectations are low so your are rarely disappointed. When I was living in Scotland, my main preference towards BA on long haul was that once you had landed you were in the UK and could drive home if something had gone wrong. In Amsterdam / Frankfurt (and the many other places you can connect in Scotland) you are stuck there until they can get you another flight out.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
There are some things BA does that annoys me compared to the competition, such as booking a bag, as far as I am aware if you want to check in a bag everyone needs to buy it, on the other budget airlines if you want to book in one bag for a party of 3 then this is fine.
On EasyJet/Ryanair you buy your fare and then you add on the extras you want- seat selection, cabin baggage, hold baggage. IME you need to click through about ten screens, and have input all the passenger details, before you know what your actual total fare is.

On BA your choice is at the start- you either buy a cabin luggage only 'saver' fare (and note that BA still allow the larger dimensions for cabin baggage) or you buy a fare with hold luggage included in the price. The higher fare also includes free seat selection 48 hours before departure (although in reality BA's IT has already soft-allocated you a seat and it's very hard to change it, at least BA do seat everyone together).

BA's way is a hell of a lot more transparent. But the downside is that if you're making a group booking then everyone on the booking has the 'saver' fare or everyone has the full fare.

If I am travelling from London - Barcelona for example, you are looking for something that gets you from A-B. You don't really care if get a meal etc. So you are really booking by price and wanting whoever serves which airport you are closest to.

You don't get a meal on BA in economy short-haul- you get a thimble of water and a packet of pretzel (note the singular).

My experience is that if you take any sort of luggage then BA are not really any more expensive than EasyJet, and only slightly more expensive than Ryanair. Even with a 'saver' fare you get to take a larger cabin bag that would cost you an extra £20 on EasyJet.

BA customer service is woeful though. That's one thing I really can't fault EasyJet on. I got caught up in the ATC issues in August and had to take a ferry home, and the ferry was more than I'd paid EasyJet. EasyJet had the reimbursement of my ferry fare back in my account within a week. EasyJet are useless at the airport- far worse than BA, even- but my experience is that they cough up quickly. BA drag their heels in comparison.

Failed Unit

Established Member
BA customer service is woeful though. That's one thing I really can't fault EasyJet on. I got caught up in the ATC issues in August and had to take a ferry home, and the ferry was more than I'd paid EasyJet. EasyJet had the reimbursement of my ferry fare back in my account within a week. EasyJet are useless at the airport- far worse than BA, even- but my experience is that they cough up quickly. BA drag their heels in comparison.
I can't disagree there, I once had a flight from London - Edinburgh that BA cancelled because of "high wind" - I took a trian back to Edinburgh. All they would offer was a refund of my airfare and reference to the "out of the airlines control" for not paying anything else. They said it was my choice to take the train as they would have booked me on a flight the following day (but no hotel was offered because of lack of availability) I asked how did EasyJet manage to land at Edinburgh using the same equipment (A320) at the same time as the Heathrow flight was due to land, surely EasyJet wouldn't put thier customers in danger. On that evening although it was windy in Edinburgh, it didn't seem to impact the airports operations. That to me was another reason to avoid BA on London - Scotland, BA seem much quicker to cancel everything very quickly, granted it is probably to protect the long haul traffic, but at least EasyJet do tend to keep flying.

WestCoast

Established Member
BA prioritises their long haul operations out of Heathrow in my experience, so if there‘s issues the first flights to get cut are the domestic ones as they know customers have alternatives. This can be a pain if you’re northern/Scotland based and are flying them via Heathrow. It is far different to the likes of Ryanair, easyJet and Jet2 as their main business model is point to point within Europe so they want to operate those flights as its their main source of income. It’s for that reason I’d rather fly a budget airline out of a Scottish airport if it’s short-haul and I will only go places for leisure that are served directly.

Jamiescott1

I hate remote stands for widebodies at lhr. Its not just BA, there are 90 remote stands at lhr.

BA is fine, its comparable to North American carriers and North America to UK seems to be its most profitable market.

The a380 isn't its flagship. Where have they ever stated its their flagship and if it was, why are they putting the new business class seats in the 787 and 777 first ?

Wolfie

Established Member
On EasyJet/Ryanair you buy your fare and then you add on the extras you want- seat selection, cabin baggage, hold baggage. IME you need to click through about ten screens, and have input all the passenger details, before you know what your actual total fare is.

On BA your choice is at the start- you either buy a cabin luggage only 'saver' fare (and note that BA still allow the larger dimensions for cabin baggage) or you buy a fare with hold luggage included in the price. The higher fare also includes free seat selection 48 hours before departure (although in reality BA's IT has already soft-allocated you a seat and it's very hard to change it, at least BA do seat everyone together).

BA's way is a hell of a lot more transparent. But the downside is that if you're making a group booking then everyone on the booking has the 'saver' fare or everyone has the full fare.

You don't get a meal on BA in economy short-haul- you get a thimble of water and a packet of pretzel (note the singular).

My experience is that if you take any sort of luggage then BA are not really any more expensive than EasyJet, and only slightly more expensive than Ryanair. Even with a 'saver' fare you get to take a larger cabin bag that would cost you an extra £20 on EasyJet.

Interesting. I had to issue Court papers to easyJet over non-refund of a cancelled flight. They sent me all sorts of irrelevant material to try to baffle me with BS. Obviously a real lawyer only looked at the case a couple of days before as they settled in full, including Court fees and interest, the day before the hearing.

WestCoast

Established Member
I hate remote stands for widebodies at lhr. Its not just BA, there are 90 remote stands at lhr.

Not a pleasant experience I agree and I believe the First passengers paying tens of thousands have to pack into the overstuffed buses which is quite laughable, as I don’t think BA makes any special provision for this.

Having said that I have done remote disembarkation in both Dubai and Doha from widebodies and that’s arguably worse in the height of summer as you step into the furnace.

jfollows

Established Member
BA's Terminal Five is so poor that BA has increased the minimum connection time between flights there from 60 minutes to 75 minutes. Reported by Simon Calder at https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...connection-time-london-heathrow-b2474807.html
So after 16 years of operation it's worse than it used to be.
He also points out the minimum connecting times for international-to-international flights at other airports:
  • Amsterdam: 50 minutes
  • Frankfurt: 45 minutes
  • Paris CDG: 60 minutes
  • Vienna: 25 minutes
  • Zurich: 40 minutes
Presumably it's been bad for a while now, and by making the change BA is reducing the ££££ it has to fork out to people who miss their booked connections.

najaB

Veteran Member
Presumably it's been bad for a while now, and by making the change BA is reducing the ££££ it has to fork out to people who miss their booked connections.
I believe the main problem is staff. It's just too difficult these days to find the staff that they need, and it's not only Heathrow that's affected.

Interestingly, while EU airports have also struggled at times to get enough people for the high travel seasons, UK airports seem to struggle year-round.

Wolfie

Established Member
I believe the main problem is staff. It's just too difficult these days to find the staff that they need, and it's not only Heathrow that's affected.

Interestingly, while EU airports have also struggled at times to get enough people for the high travel seasons, UK airports seem to struggle year-round.
Hmmm.... Another bonus of a certain self-immolating political decision.....

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
BA's Terminal Five is so poor that BA has increased the minimum connection time between flights there from 60 minutes to 75 minutes.
A sensible and pragmatic decision.

Schiphol is notoriously bad for mis-connects, especially with luggage. KLM may benefit by doing the same.
Yep. Partly due to a certain political decision that everyone said would cause this.

But, in fairness, also significantly caused by the aviation industry by them sacking everyone during Covid. Turns out that people who were treated appallingly during Covid and had to get new jobs are, amazingly, not prepared to come back to security or baggage handling jobs which still offer appalling wages in terrible conditions. Who'd have thunk it, eh?

najaB

Veteran Member
But, in fairness, also significantly caused by the aviation industry by them sacking everyone during Covid. Turns out that people who were treated appallingly during Covid and had to get new jobs are, amazingly, not prepared to come back to security or baggage handling jobs which still offer appalling wages in terrible conditions. Who'd have thunk it, eh?
I suspect there's a significant overlap between the kind of person who pined for UK sovereignty and the kind of person who was opposed to measures taken to preserve jobs during Covid.

nlogax

Established Member
BA are a mixed bag, no doubt about it.

- Flights themselves are generally hit or miss. Rarely have anything negative to report on Glasgow to London domestic services beyond the experience at the London end. Long-haul isn't awful, honestly. I'm glad the A380s are sticking around and the A350s are definitely a positive for those in World Traveller. WT+ is still the sweet spot for me, and that offering feels much improved over previous versions.
- The intra-T5 connection experience at LHR has been mostly ok though I rarely check bags so don't often see issues. I'm expecting check-in and Flight Connections security to massively improve and accelerate one the new CT scanners eventually arrive. E-gates seem to work well in both areas with little complaint which again is an improvement over previous years.
- Galleries lounges at T5-A need ripping out and replacing + expansion if there's room. They're always very busy and the fittings and fixtures look quite knackered. B-gates lounge continues to be a bit of an oasis.
- Remote stands are awful. When your plane is a half mile bus journey from the terminal + satellites you really do have to wonder what's gone wrong. LHR is worst for this though LGW also has its issues.

Beyond the physical elements, thankfully a well overdue overhaul of some of BA's worst IT hotspots commences this year. From the customer perspective the current website and app landscape is a bit of a mess. Attempts to book flights are hit or miss from any device. From the phone side I have to log out and back into the apps on a regular basis to get access to my existing bookings, and quite often they don't work at all. In full-fat browsers there is the added frisson of not knowing exactly when something will fail to respond and you'll be dumped into a legacy UI that looks like it was lovingly handcrafted from free-range HTML back in 2004. The only saving grace about BA's current website is 'at least it's not AA.com'.

Finally.. how much of this is BA's fault, how much of this is Heathrow's and to a lesser extent Gatwick's?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
- Remote stands are awful. When your plane is a half mile bus journey from the terminal + satellites you really do have to wonder what's gone wrong. LHR is worst for this though LGW also has its issues.
One thing that doesn't help is the cost-cutting design of T5. It's clear that the budget began running out as the satellite terminals were being built - both T5-B and T5-C have stands without a jetbridge, and others with near 300 yard walks along a series of jetbridges, all because the terminals weren't built out to their full length. Then there's the unbuilt T5-D which instead just plays host to a series of remote stands.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
One thing that doesn't help is the cost-cutting design of T5. It's clear that the budget began running out as the satellite terminals were being built - both T5-B and T5-C have stands without a jetbridge, and others with near 300 yard walks along a series of jetbridges, all because the terminals weren't built out to their full length. Then there's the unbuilt T5-D which instead just plays host to a series of remote stands.
Even T5A has remote stands! A host of them to the south of the terminal building. Very far from ideal.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
At least BA use proper buses at Heathrow with a normal number of padded seats, unlike those foreign airports that cram 100+ people on those god awful COBUS things that have about four plastic seats (and then still don’t move off for five minutes after the vehicle is fully loaded for no apparent reason.)

nlogax

Established Member
Then there's the unbuilt T5-D which instead just plays host to a series of remote stands.

I have a feeling that if even if D had been built the transit system (as is) would have been insufficient to serve all four buildings. Not that being bussed from T5-A to a D-stand is any easier of course, especially when your bus is stuck doing 10mph behind a plethora of baggage vehicles trailing through the service tunnels.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
At least BA use proper buses at Heathrow with a normal number of padded seats, unlike those foreign airports that cram 100+ people on those god awful COBUS things that have about four plastic seats (and then still don’t move off for five minutes after the vehicle is fully loaded for no apparent reason.)
Last time I had a remote stand at Heathrow ( landing back from Hamburg in autumn 2019 ), BA put us on a bus that was packed solid with many more standing than seated.

Did at least manage to get next to a window, so managed several decent photos as we were driving towards the terminal ( despite the tight anti photo mesh covering on the windows... :) )

DanNCL

Established Member
Just returned this morning from Miami to Edinburgh via Heathrow and it has to be one of the worst ever travelling experiences I've had. It was an A380 for the Miami leg and probably the worst legroom I've had. I couldn't believe this was the flag carrier's flagship aircraft. Also lacking in amenities compared to Delta. At Heathrow and Edinburgh, they also often use buses to get to the plane. I'm fine with that on EasyJet but I'd expect a bit more from a flag carrier. Then there are constant delays and they lost our bags on the LHR-EDI leg to boot.
Delta has an unusually large seat pitch on their long haul aircraft. The seat pitch on the BA A380 is the norm for long haul economy on most of the world's airlines.

I won't be choosing to fly them again in a hurry - what's the point in flying the domestic routes (except Aberdeen & Ireland or if you were connecting from another flight) when the train is just as fast? And Delta offer a much better transatlantic product. And at least in mainland Europe, EasyJet & Ryanair are cheaper.
Because they're cheaper and more reliable than the train in many cases. Using a real example I found a few weeks ago, a day trip from Newcastle to London arriving before 10am and leaving no earlier than 5pm was half the price on BA (£80) compared to what LNER wanted to charge for the exact same date (£160). The ECML is unreliable and the 800s uncomfortable, BA on the other hand whilst maybe not so punctual (although southbound from Newcastle first thing is rarely an issue) at least it usually operates and is reasonably comfortable, throw in the cost factor too and it becomes a no brainer to fly.

BA are on many occasions the same price as or sometimes even cheaper than easyJet and Ryanair. The low cost carriers don't sell all their seats for £20!

Long Haul seems variable, I understand they are updating thier seating. The A380 they admit themselves is overtaken by competitors offerings, which is actually hurting them more in the premium cabins. In have seen articles about the backwards facing business class seat bieng "Prisoner class". Even Premium Econonmy between Virgin and BA, Virgin make you feel slightly better as a customer in my experience then BA. BA have some serious fault in my experience with customer service, it is very possible that my expectations are too high as they compete in the race to the bottom. Ryanair on the other hand expectations are low so your are rarely disappointed. When I was living in Scotland, my main preference towards BA on long haul was that once you had landed you were in the UK and could drive home if something had gone wrong. In Amsterdam / Frankfurt (and the many other places you can connect in Scotland) you are stuck there until they can get you another flight out.
The A380 should be getting Club Suites in the next couple of years.

I can't disagree there, I once had a flight from London - Edinburgh that BA cancelled because of "high wind" - I took a trian back to Edinburgh. All they would offer was a refund of my airfare and reference to the "out of the airlines control" for not paying anything else. They said it was my choice to take the train as they would have booked me on a flight the following day (but no hotel was offered because of lack of availability) I asked how did EasyJet manage to land at Edinburgh using the same equipment (A320) at the same time as the Heathrow flight was due to land, surely EasyJet wouldn't put thier customers in danger. On that evening although it was windy in Edinburgh, it didn't seem to impact the airports operations. That to me was another reason to avoid BA on London - Scotland, BA seem much quicker to cancel everything very quickly, granted it is probably to protect the long haul traffic, but at least EasyJet do tend to keep flying.
There's two likely reasons here. One is that the Captain refused to take the flight because of the weather, they have got the authority to do that and I have noticed that BA pilots are generally more cautious in that regard than their counterparts on other airlines, I remember a few years ago my BA flight to Newcastle being diverted to Teesside despite Jet2 and TUI (or Thomson as they were back then) both choosing to continue flying into Newcastle.
The other is that the flight couldn't operate for another reason (ie crew shortage) and BA were able to blame it on the weather to get out of their compensation obligations.

BA prioritises their long haul operations out of Heathrow in my experience, so if there‘s issues the first flights to get cut are the domestic ones as they know customers have alternatives. This can be a pain if you’re northern/Scotland based and are flying them via Heathrow. It is far different to the likes of Ryanair, easyJet and Jet2 as their main business model is point to point within Europe so they want to operate those flights as its their main source of income. It’s for that reason I’d rather fly a budget airline out of a Scottish airport if it’s short-haul and I will only go places for leisure that are served directly.
Not strictly true, whilst it does have some influence it's usually done based on load factors, the flights that are quieter are the ones they'll axe first when they can as that means fewer people to compensate and rebook. The other regular victims are those flown by 787s as there's a maintenance backlog with those at present. The Tokyo route especially seams to be suffering at present.

The a380 isn't its flagship. Where have they ever stated its their flagship and if it was, why are they putting the new business class seats in the 787 and 777 first ?
Exactly. BA haven't had a flagship since Concorde was retired.

BA's Terminal Five is so poor that BA has increased the minimum connection time between flights there from 60 minutes to 75 minutes. Reported by Simon Calder at https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...connection-time-london-heathrow-b2474807.html
So after 16 years of operation it's worse than it used to be.
He also points out the minimum connecting times for international-to-international flights at other airports:

It does ultimately track back to T5 but not in the way one might expect. The issue is aircraft leaving T5 late as ground handling isn't up to scratch, the result is aircraft arriving at their destination late, not having enough time to turn round so departing late again and then returning late to T5.
A significant factor however is beyond BA's control, that being security. Security at T5 is a slow and inefficient process that's been continuously declining over the past few years.

5B and 5C were always intended to have remote stands at the ends, that wasn't a later budget decision. 5D was never a firm plan and simply something that passive provision was made for.

Last time I had a remote stand at Heathrow ( landing back from Hamburg in autumn 2019 ), BA put us on a bus that was packed solid with many more standing than seated.

Did at least manage to get next to a window, so managed several decent photos as we were driving towards the terminal ( despite the tight anti photo mesh covering on the windows... :) )
The use of Mercedes Citaros rather than COBUS vehicles is part of the reason why they're so packed. But it shouldn't be an issue if things worked properly as there's a large number of Citaros dedicated to T5. The issue is that it doesn't work properly.

COBUS vehicles aren't exclusive to other countries, Newcastle airport has them too although it's incredibly rare to get a bus gate on BA there.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
My main grumble with BA short haul is that between booking and flying the flight time invariably changes, sometimes more than once. The most extreme example being by 8 hours just 11 days before flying.

You can’t rely on the flight times at all for booking onward connections etc.

Long haul we usually fly business and both the cabin environment and lounges are far inferior to other carriers. The old Club World cabin is woeful these days, but I haven’t had the opportunity to try the new Club Suite, partly because I avoid them because of the risk of getting the old config!

Jamiescott1

My main grumble with BA short haul is that between booking and flying the flight time invariably changes, sometimes more than once. The most extreme example being by 8 hours just 11 days before flying.

In that case you're entitled to compensation as changes were made within 14 days

md2016

You can’t rely on the flight times at all for booking onward connections etc.

Long haul we usually fly business and both the cabin environment and lounges are far inferior to other carriers. The old Club World cabin is woeful these days, but I haven’t had the opportunity to try the new Club Suite, partly because I avoid them because of the risk of getting the old config!
Coincidentally, I flew on the club suite this morning.

Looks great, but terrible design choices (prioritising short term profit as per) means they’ve made the 4 seat configuration more squashed than the 8 seat, by drastically reducing leg space when the bed is flat.

The plugs are also tucked away with little space underneath so that you can’t charge a number of the most common laptops due to the angle.

The screen is much better, but the entertainment selection is very poor.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
In that case you're entitled to compensation as changes were made within 14 days
I claimed exactly because of that, but they refused. I read the regulations over and over and there seemed to be an ambiguity in terms of the specific circumstances, so to date I haven’t gone back to them.

cactustwirly

Established Member

easyJet and Ryanair are only cheaper if you're taking a tiny bag to put under the seats. Once you add extra baggage your fare is more expensive than BA, easyJet often charge more for baggage than the actual flight.

The fares aren't much different if you're flexible, usually £35 - 60 each way, especially from Gatwick. Some of the peak fares are a lot more, but if you're willing to travel on morning or evening flights then it's very reasonable.
Large cabin bags are included in the basic fare, and the upgrade to checked baggage is only £10 or 20, lccs will often charge a lot more for bags

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looks great, but terrible design choices (prioritising short term profit as per) means they’ve made the 4 seat configuration more squashed than the 8 seat, by drastically reducing leg space when the bed is flat.
You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. The 1-2-1 Club Suite configuration already results in a lower density than the previous 2-3-2- or 2-4-2 'Ying Yang' configuration and the only way it's commercially viable is by "reusing" the space above the end of the bed for the person in front. First class is available - at a fairly reasonable supplement in most cases - if Club Suite doesn't offer enough space; there needs to be some incentive to upgrade after all!

In any event, Club Suites is a variant of the widely used Collins Super Diamond seat, so these flaws are common to many airlines. IMHO BA's implementation of it is the best of any airline; AA use the same seat on their long haul fleet but it lacks the door and has much less storage space.

I claimed exactly because of that, but they refused. I read the regulations over and over and there seemed to be an ambiguity in terms of the specific circumstances, so to date I haven’t gone back to them.
There are still some areas of ambiguity despite nearly 20 years of litigation, but changes to flight times at less than 14 days' notice are considered equivalent to cancellations if they are sufficiently significan; Azurair refers.

As with many other airlines, BA's default response to many EU261 claims is to deny everything (sorry, couldn't resist :lol:) but you might get somewhere if you take the matter to Alternative Dispute Resolution (CEDR).

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Thanks for the advice @Watershed, I will go down that route in terms of the 8 hr time shift to our flight.

Re the Club Suite effectively “double stacking” I’ve been in similar arrangements with Singapore (both A380 and A350 seats) and they were both very acceptable to me. The one slight niggle is that if you are in the seat adjacent to the aisle (they alternate) there is a bit less privacy and you are offset from the window, but I decided that was being ultra-picky!

jumble

The problem is that British Airways make huge profits and so are not really interested in competing much.

Not a pleasant experience I agree and I believe the First passengers paying tens of thousands have to pack into the overstuffed buses which is quite laughable, as I don’t think BA makes any special provision for this.

Having said that I have done remote disembarkation in both Dubai and Doha from widebodies and that’s arguably worse in the height of summer as you step into the furnace.
You are correct but why do you think BA put their first class passengers on buses?
The answer is that their revenue management are no doubt very good at their jobs and have done their job for years and they clearly do not think that paying for an extra bus is worthwhile for what is usually 8 people
Do bear in mind that BA have just made 617million profit in Q3 2023 and they did not achieve that by making stupid revenue management decisions regarding first class passengers

Last edited: