• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British electrification OHL dates (mainly 25kV plus the most significant 1.5KV DC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6130

Established Member
The list also doesn't include the LBSCR South London suburban overhead electrification scheme (6.6 kV AC?), which I believe was implemented between about 1909 and 1925....although open to correction on the exact dates. Also, wasn't the original experimental L & Y electrification between Bury and Holcombe Brook also oricinally done on an overhead system?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Justin Smith

Major one that seems to have slipped the net, so to speak, is the reopening of the line through Glasgow Central Low Level from Rutherglen-Partick in 1979.
Thanks for that, I don't know how I missed that as I'd researched it and added it in pencil onto my Baker's atlas !

snowball

Established Member
This may be more detail than you wish to capture, but it's not clear from your list that Weaver Junction to Preston in the 1970s included Winwick - Earlestown - Newton-le-Willows - Lowton - Golborne, including over a mile of the Liverpool & Manchester.

apk55

You have not mentioned re electrification of the Altrincham line (MSJ&A) line from 1.5KV DC to 25KV AC in 1971. Then much of the line was converted to 750V for Metrolink tram service although part remains at 25KV for access to Trafford Park
Many of the 1931 MSJ&A overhead support structures still remain in use after over 90 years.

Justin Smith

You have not mentioned re electrification of the Altrincham line (MSJ&A) line from 1.5KV DC to 25KV AC in 1971. Then much of the line was converted to 750V for Metrolink tram service although part remains at 25KV for access to Trafford Park
Many of the 1931 MSJ&A overhead support structures still remain in use after over 90 years.
That's in the notes (on the right) for the original 1930 electrification.

>>Many of the 1931 MSJ&A overhead support structures still remain in use after over 90 years.<<

They don't make 'em like they used to !

On the North London Line, Camden to Stratford is shown as 1988, but I believe it was converted to 25 kV OLE in stages in 1986 and 1987. The conversion of Acton Central to Camden Road to 25 kV OLE in 1996 seems to be missing.
For the 1988 date I have now added a note "completed in stages 1986 to 1988".

Leeds City to Neville Hill 1993?
One wonders why they did hot do that during the initial electrification work ! it seems so obvious looking back on it doesn't it.....

Lost property

Quite a lot in fact, but, they have replaced the " 40 / 60 steps " bridge ( number of steps varies according who told you ) at Timperley...interestingly enough, a halt was proposed for this location at one time as the "grand plan" was to extend Woodhouse Lane (Sale) into Woodhouse Lane East ( Timperley) with a view to it becoming a major route. The, now closed, Sylvan Inn was built as a roadhouse pub at the time to cater for the passing trade.

snowball

Established Member
The former use of 6.25kV AC is mentioned for lines in the Liverpool Street network but there were also some around Glasgow.

Justin Smith

There are some date errors for some of the Eastern schemes.

Fenchurch Street-Shoeburyness was all 1961. Pitsea-Shoeburyness was energised first in May 1961. Non rush hour services were electric from November.

Chelmsford-Colchester was 1962. The 1962 Whitsun weekend additional trains between London and Clacton/Walton were electric. The full electric service should have started in September 1962 but was delayed by late delivery of the AM9 EMUs.

Kings Cross-Royston was 1977, the first electric trains running in October.

Hitchin-Huntingdon was 1986, the first electric trains running in November.

Track that might count as missing include Hitchin flyover in 2013 and St Pancras-Belle Isle via the Canal Tunnel in 2018.

I think Stratford-Coppermill Junction is also missing, possibly 2005 but I don't have good sources to check that.

In the pedantry corner, Coppermill Junction (1969) should read Clapton Junction, Shepreth Junction (1988) should read Shepreth Branch Junction, and there's a typo for Stansted Airport (1990).
Thanks for your feedback, I have added most of it.

snowball

Established Member
Very pedantic but Dunblane and Alloa are two separate routes from Stirling, both now electrified. You don't get to one via the other. So "Stirling>Dunblane>Alloa" should probably be "Stirling>Dunblane/Alloa".

Justin Smith

Very pedantic but Dunblane and Alloa are two separate routes from Stirling, both now electrified. You don't get to one via the other. So "Stirling>Dunblane>Alloa" should probably be "Stirling>Dunblane/Alloa".
I have updated that on the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.