• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

British India Line problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartl

According to the Yorkshire Post, British India Line on the Dalesman the other day was in danger of exploding due to overheating and they rang the fire service to get water. Wasn't needed in the end as they found a hydrant.
Could it really have exploded or would something have just melted?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GM078

Fusible plug would likely have gone before getting to that stage, scary stuff in itself.

Spartacus

Established Member
That would be rather embarrassing given it was actually the move from Carnforth - Hellifield that failed. From what I can gather it failed on shed that morning, but was later passed fit to run and was going to work it's train from Hellifield, so must have been some mechanical fault rather than literally running out of water.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
By way of update it has been out on the Dalesman today and has run absolutely fine

794FA9BE-2881-43AA-8727-CD5036DC8BBD.jpeg

sluf

I confirm that as I was on the Tuesday dalesman stuck in hellifield goods sidings for 90 minutes while one of the 37s was despatched to retrieve the steam engine before reattaching to the train and continuing to Carlisle.

DelW

Established Member
Might the "pipework problem" have been a leak resulting in low water levels in the tender? That could have needed an unplanned top-up, and caused the enquiry to the fire service before the hydrant was located.

TheEdge

Established Member
"Narrowly avoids exploding" is just the usual local rag histrionics and hyperbole.

In fairness that appears to have come from a quote from the fire brigade. And although unlikely on the more modern (!) steam loco designs, boiling a loco dry does lead to a chance of a boiler explosion.

From the national preservation site, it was the water feed pipe between the tender and loco that split, meaning that no water would be able to reach the boiler.

Photo credited to Chris Ellison:

From what I can read, the fire was dropped in Hellifield, but water would still need to have been added to the boiler whilst it cooled

Attachments

• Chris Ellison.png
    Chris Ellison.png
    991.3 KB · Views: 81

notverydeep

From the national preservation site, it was the water feed pipe between the tender and loco that split, meaning that no water would be able to reach the boiler.

Photo credited to Chris Ellison:

From what I can read, the fire was dropped in Hellifield, but water would still need to have been added to the boiler whilst it cooled

Couldn't they have tried a repair with a piece of rag and some bootlaces in the manner of James the Red Engine? :)

blackfive460

By way of update it has been out on the Dalesman today and has run absolutely fine
With plenty of assistance from the Class 37 on the rear of the train presumably to do with fire risk though I did wonder what the stop at Ribblehead was about...
The fire was dropped at Bentham.

Iskra

Established Member
With plenty of assistance from the Class 37 on the rear of the train presumably to do with fire risk though I did wonder what the stop at Ribblehead was about...

The fire was dropped at Bentham.
I suspected that might happen, but I kept looking back and could not see any clag from the rear 37, but we did drop a fair bit of time, so I think the approach was just to 'take it easy' up the gradient instead. I may be completely wrong though as I was towards the front of the train. We seemed to speed up after Blea Moor tunnel, where the vegetation was greener on that side of the hills!

blackfive460

I suspected that might happen, but I kept looking back and could not see any clag from the rear 37, but we did drop a fair bit of time, so I think the approach was just to 'take it easy' up the gradient instead. I may be completely wrong though as I was towards the front of the train. We seemed to speed up after Blea Moor tunnel, where the vegetation was greener on that side of the hills!
The 37 was certainly audible from where I was at Ribblehead particularly once off the viaduct.
Was there any explanation for the stop at Ribblehead station?

Iskra

Established Member
The 37 was certainly audible from where I was at Ribblehead particularly once off the viaduct.
Was there any explanation for the stop at Ribblehead station?
Was that not just it providing the electrics?

No, there weren't many tannoy announcements at all really (not necessarily a bad thing).

blackfive460

Was that not just it providing the electrics?

No, there weren't many tannoy announcements at all really (not necessarily a bad thing).
Well, it was very quiet going over the viaduct but became much louder once on the 1 in 100 at the other side so I'd guess it wasn't just there for ETH!

We've had very little rain over the past few weeks so I'd guess fire risk is becoming a concern up here.

Iskra

Established Member
Well, it was very quiet going over the viaduct but became much louder once on the 1 in 100 at the other side so I'd guess it wasn't just there for ETH!

We've had very little rain over the past few weeks so I'd guess fire risk is becoming a concern up here.
But why did we crawl and lose 20mins of time if a diesel was assisting? That doesn't make sense to me, and the 37's used yesterday were pretty throaty so it would have been fairly obvious! Also, BIL travelled from Carnforth to Hellifield without a diesel, so if it could run that line on its own it could surely power on the S&C too, especially with it being damp on the West side too.

blackfive460

But why did we crawl and lose 20mins of time if a diesel was assisting? That doesn't make sense to me, and the 37's used yesterday were pretty throaty so it would have been fairly obvious! Also, BIL travelled from Carnforth to Hellifield without a diesel, so if it could run that line on its own it could surely power on the S&C too, especially with it being damp on the West side too.
If fire risk was the reason for the diesel and the slow running then a 45mph tender first loco and support coach run from Carnforth to Hellifield is a bit of a different proposition to tackling the S&C with 11 on the drawbar.

I can only comment on what I saw and heard at Ribblehead so for the rest I'm only speculating and unless someone who really knows comes along, we will never know!

Iskra

Established Member
If fire risk was the reason for the diesel and the slow running then a 45mph tender first loco and support coach run from Carnforth to Hellifield is a bit of a different proposition to tackling the S&C with 11 on the drawbar.

I can only comment on what I saw and heard at Ribblehead so for the rest I'm only speculating and unless someone who really knows comes along, we will never know!
The loco was stood on the Clitheroe line when we arrived, chimney first, support carriage behind, so I'm assuming it came that way. But, yes I do get your point that it isn't the same as hauling a full rake.

Agreed, it's a tough one!

blackfive460

The loco was stood on the Clitheroe line when we arrived, chimney first, support carriage behind, so I'm assuming it came that way. But, yes I do get your point that it isn't the same as hauling a full rake.

Agreed, it's a tough one!
The loco and support coach for these trains run via Bentham so tender first with a run round at Hellifield before the train arrives from York. As far as I'm aware, tender first running is restricted to a max of 45mph which on that route, isn't a problem.

Iskra

Established Member
The loco and support coach for these trains run via Bentham so tender first with a run round at Hellifield before the train arrives from York. As far as I'm aware, tender first running is restricted to a max of 45mph which on that route, isn't a problem.
Wow, WCRC certainly keep the signal person at Hellifield busy then on a Dalesman day! And yes 45mph is correct, I had Tornado on the Northern S&C services tender first.

Iskra

Established Member
They also keep the cafe on the station busy. Well worth a visit.
It appears in this video to be a mixture of steam and diesel powering. In the first bit of footage the 37 is virtually silent, but in the second the diesel is clearly audible.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s not an ETH/ETS fitted 37 anyway, so it wouldn’t have been providing anything electrical to the train.

341o2

Established Member
"Narrowly avoids exploding" is just the usual local rag histrionics and hyperbole.
So true, my local rag, which I read for the awful typos etc would have said "Narrowly avoids EXPLODING"

Teaboy1

Got to sell those newspapers, not letting the truth get in the way of a good story....!!

Dare say a roll of Gaffer tape and some TyWraps would have come in handy!!!

Although its not advisable to let that fusible plug fail, when they do let go, tends to blow the fire out of the fire door [even if shut] and ash pan with quite a bit of force. Not nice to be on a footplate when they fail, steam ash water[hot] clinker etc everywhere!!

These are the bits;

Thankfully local fire boys saved the day and the tour. Lucky save by crew who know the rope in such a situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.